New
Find
Notify
Tools

thefts in camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
charles butler reminded me the other night of a thing that an old ph taught me years ago. to prevent some thefts in camp , when you get into camp the 1st day, announce to your PH in a loud and clear voice that can be heard all over, that you have paid the witch doctor $100 to deal with anybody who steals anything. best thing i found is to claim the witch doctor will have the bad guys penis fall off. this doesn't work all the time, but it does work

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
I am confused - your last statement - does bad guys penis fall off sometimes or when?

I guess you just can't find a dependable witch doctor these days.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 hunts and 7 different camps. The only place where anything was stolen was Johannesburg airport.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've never had an issue with theft in the bush. Just doesn't happen. Sorta like a thief in a Marine barracks or onboard ship.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I've never had an issue with theft in the bush. Just doesn't happen. Sorta like a thief in a Marine barracks or onboard ship.

This is a joke right?
Confused
Confused

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not if you were a Marine or served afloat. salute

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen it in the bush before...

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your PH is worth his salt there will be none of that occur in camp. In town is the issue, and the airport security and baggage handlers!

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
12 safaris in 14 years and the only thing taken was a toothbrush which was partially eaten by a squirrel or something and dropped just outside the tent.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At home, at the end of the day, I always pull my change/bills out of my pocket and leave them on the nightstand along with knife/flashlight etc. In Africa (because its habit) in hunting/fishing camps or at the end of the day of touring (and going back to the outfitters lodge/camp) I did the same. I never once had a problem with someone stealing anything from me. All people were very honest and trustworthy in the camps and never felt like anything would get stolen.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The camp itself will probably be the safest place you can be during your African safari.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have known of things getting stolen in camp, hell, they even stole from the PH!
In Holemberg's book "OUT IN AFRICA" he wrights of the possibility of theft during his hunts in Kenya and arranged guards on occasions .

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been in camps when thefts occurred. Never from me, but an Appy and a PH packed lighter leaving than coming.

Most camps are no problem, but a little diligence prevents temptation and is cheap, wise and easy insurance.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With all those fancy lockable gun cases in camp and a bicycle type lock to anchor it to a solid object, I would think theft of valuables can be kept to a minimum. That's what I've done and didn't have anything go missing.

Damned if I'm going to hunt with my valuables in an unsecured pack on the land cruiser.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My first safari one of the camp boys found my hidden key to my guncase and opened my guncase and stole $500 in travelers checks,a Pen & Pencil set and a Leatherman tool. Tracker heard he had been showing the leatherman around in the bush. Took a couple of scouts with him and tracked him down and took him to the police. He had traded the travelers checks for 5 Zim dollars and traded the pen & pencil set. I recovered the leatherman which I then gave to the tracker.The police had investigated and I had to file a report which the police couldn't type up as they had no typewriter ribbon. None of the police could write legible English so I had to write up the report and sign it and they witnessed it. They recovered the $500 in travelers checks but kept it as evidence for the trial. I actually got $400 of it back a year later,but I had already had American Expressreplace it. So I KNOW theft does happen in the bush first hand. Never got back the Pen & Pencil set and it was the only thing I valued of the lot as it was a BMW set that had been given me by my Daughter-in-Law.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thisn is one of the reasons I like the Tuff-Pak.
When I leave to go hunt, I put all my valuables in the TP, lock it and I with the cable I carry, I secure the TP to something solid.

I use this same plan when traveling in the US or Canada.

I have never had ANYTHING stolen.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Halliburton suitcase I've had for 25 years. They can't get past that combo lock.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
My first safari one of the camp boys found my hidden key to my guncase and opened my guncase and stole $500 in travelers checks,a Pen & Pencil set and a Leatherman tool. Tracker heard he had been showing the leatherman around in the bush. Took a couple of scouts with him and tracked him down and took him to the police. He had traded the travelers checks for 5 Zim dollars and traded the pen & pencil set. I recovered the leatherman which I then gave to the tracker.The police had investigated and I had to file a report which the police couldn't type up as they had no typewriter ribbon. None of the police could write legible English so I had to write up the report and sign it and they witnessed it. They recovered the $500 in travelers checks but kept it as evidence for the trial.

That is about right ... Welcome to Zimbabwe. salute

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Good idea N E 450 no2.

Anyone can steal anything, anywhere, if they want it bad enough. The key is, with most security, make it just difficult enough that they don't.

Loking everything in your toughpack and taking the key is going to be good enough for 99.9% of the situations. Using a cable lock to secre the tuffpak to something eliminates all but the most determined thieves.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I have been in camp when stuff has been stolen, on several occasions actually. Always we have caught the thief. In one instance, the guy gave the game away by flashing his brand new rolex around in one of the most poverty stricken areas in Zim. Even the most clueless smelt a rat

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had anything stolen from a camp.But no matter how good a operation your PH runs there will always be someone who will give into the temptation somwhere along the line.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When in africa (and georgia) I wear a timex expedition. I really like the pushbutton light for the dial and for 30 bucks they make good gifts for a tracker or any other local that proves to be of value to our endeavor. In 9 trips to africa we have never had any theft in the bush or camp area.
We do take a money belt and try to leave nothing of real value in camp as there is no need to tempt someone whose family might be hungry. Most of us might steal to feed our loved ones. Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, have never had anything taken or stolen in camp or in the bush in 7 safaris. However, all of my PH's have asked me to lock up any valuables in either the camp's safe or in my TuffPak. Their statements have been along the lines that they have not had theft problems, but why tempt fate? All of my stuff is locked up in either the TuffPak or my luggage when I am not in camp. And, we usually take the key to the chalet when we leave and give it to the camp manager who oversees the staff. They all know that their livelihood is on the line at that point in time. Most of them have been with the camp for so many years that they can't afford to lose their income and employment. As to being in the bush, when we are out hunting, there is always one member of the staff who stays with the Land Rover to guard and watch anything that we leave behind while hunting. So far, not a single problem.

One of Us
Picture of Small Bore
posted Hide Post
At home, at the end of the day, I always pull my change/bills out of my pocket and leave them on the nightstand along with knife/flashlight etc. In Africa (because its habit) in hunting/fishing camps or at the end of the day of touring (and going back to the outfitters lodge/camp) I did the same. I never once had a problem with someone stealing anything from me. All people were very honest and trustworthy in the camps and never felt like anything would get stolen.

Me too - in Boswana I came back everynight and found clothes pressed and every loose cent neatly arranged on the table after a day hunting.

At home, I go to sleep with £100 in my wallet and by the time I get to Starbucks next morning I have £40!