Find
Notify
Tools

How do you get someone out of Zim?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jds
posted
Please forgive me - I know it's off topic but it seemed like the best place to get a good answer.

A couple of years ago we had an exchange student from Zimbabwe stay with our family while she attended high school in the US. She's white, now 17 years old, and is a joy to have around. Her mother owns (unless Bob took it already) a small store just inside Zim from South Africa.

If there are any attorneys on this forum who know, what would it take for her to come to the United States permanently? I think she's too old for us to adopt and she's not yet in college. My wife and I just hate to know what's going on over there in her world.

All information is appreciated. Please email at: jds (at) jerrystringer.net

Thanks!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I confess that I know little about INS regulations, but at least in Georgia, age has little to do with adoption.

Regardless of that (or her race for that matter), the primary inquiry is: what does she want to do? I can assure you, if there is a will, there is a way (and quite legally). Unless you live in the Four Corners, there is a competent attorney near you who can facilate (presumably) her desire. It ain't necessarily cheap, though.

If she is college bound, she can get a visa for the duration... but there are some hoops to jump through there, also.

You get what you pay for. Don't forget that in your quest. P.M. me is you wish.

I re-read you post and saw that you wanted e-mails. Forgive me, but I'm trying to find an excuse to have to re-visit those pretty hills near Capetown and buy some more red wine???

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I can see who we are using for immigration work here in town if you like. Sorry I can't give advice in that area myself.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You need an immigration lawyer. And given Zim's "pariah" status among nations, preferably one with direct experience involving dealing with emigration from Zim or similarly troubled areas.

And as JudgeG has said, the desires of the potential emigrant--and her mother--are going to be paramount.

If you would like a referral to someone in Texas, I can try to help you out. Just send me a PM. But this process can be a long one, and the cost can be high.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13618 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the USA.

Lots and lots of ex-Zim farmers are now in Australia. Some applied for refugee status, ie persecution, homeless etc. I know one large property that has five farming families now working on it.

If you travel to Central and Northern Australia where there aren't a lot of residents but lots of tourist jobs you find a lot of Rhodesian accents now.

Good thing too. The Rhodies are our "cousins", skilled, intelligent etc not like some of the others being brought over from the Middle East and Africa with their hands permanently held out for .....

Sorry can't help you but refugee status might be one opportunity, especially if she has a sponsor/guarantor to support her.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Easiest way is marriage.

Adoption will not work in this instance because the girl will be 18 (and not adoptable) by the time it all goes through anyway.

She could apply for a student visa to the U.S. and worry about immigrating later, after finishing her studies.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
There is always a flight to Mexico City. Then to Nuevo Larado, a quick walk across the bridge and a nice drive on I-35, back to the Metroplex.

Thousands do it every year from all over the world. It ain't legal but......

Of course your mileage may vary.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
JDS /

I have sent yopu a message to your email

Give him a try and see if he can help you

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Furthur to mrlexma's advice, try to locate an immigration attorney who has dealt specifically with immigrants from Southern Africa if that can be done. I have gone through the immigration visa process for my wife and there are so many roadblocks that you will become easily frustrated withour the assistance of a professional. I did not use one but had the advantage of a personal friend who was the US vice-consul in the country in which we lived at the time.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shame , I hope this family manage to pull something off and thank you so much for helping.
My cousin came over here to the UK , same story really but a year older on a work permit.
About the same time her parents and mine were attacked on the farm in Zim.
She went ahead and made an assylum application through a lawyer here.
She got turned down. They had an appeal and she got turned down again. My dad supplyed evidence as an ex - police officer retiered after 30 years, video footage , photographs and doctors reports , published criminal offenses that were being commited , including footage of when the things arrived on our farm in Army Vehicles and with automatic weopons and shot the dogs on their way through the security gates!etc and they still lost.
She was put on a plane back to Zim .
I forgot to mention that while her appeal hearing was waiting for a date, she was not allowed to work legally. She did work however as a nanny for 3 children from 2 different families. They supported her with letters of employment offers etc.
I wish you and her the very best of luck.
Regards
Keith

Rhodesian in UK Armed forces.
They stole my Farm, but not my African Spirit!

Posts: 42 | Location: Rhodesian in Wiltshire UK | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are thousands of legal immagrants that come to this country every year, if you have no criminal record, you can work legally here on a work permit and they have permits for schoolers also..

I have gotten papers for a couple of Mexican Cowboys that worked for me on my ranch in West Texas in the past. It requires a lot of red tape and a sponsor and that can be a pain but take it one step at a time.

You start by taking the first step and that is going to INS and tell them you want this child to attend school in the USA and you will be responsible for her. Give them her background and your association with her.

A positive attitude as opposed to a negative attitude will work wonders in the Gov. processes...just work your way through one thing at a time....

A one year work visa is a snap and it can be renewed, I have done that many time with help. The College thing is a 4 or 5 year pass I have been told...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
My wife is taking hear oath of citizenship in the US day after tomorrow. I have had a rare opportunity (at least, for an American born citizen) to see how our immigration and naturalization process works. One thing I've learned is that I'm not an expert. Take my suggestions with that lump of salt.

I have heard all sorts of horror stories about folks who have been detained while they are waiting to hear about assylum applications. If a country is not on a list of persecutors, assylum is usually not taken too seriously (such things came up when people tried to avoid going back home if it meant female circumcision, etc, a few years back). Detention is like the black hole of Calcutta -- hearings may be held without presence or representation, and even keeping track of where detainees are held is difficult (according to some immigration rights groups).

A much cleaner path is J1 visas (student visas). They will tend to work as long as the applicant is in school. If the applicant wants to stay as an employee, they need to get their status changed to an H1. This is valid for only a few years (renewable once). That part is always under attack by groups like FAIR and the politicians who act as their patrons: they do not like the idea that people use H1 visas to import foreign workers, and then pay them much less than they would Americans. Applying for permenant residency is the next step. This can be done for marriage, or the applicant may be placed in a queue for application under another status. Some queues are shorter than others (by country or region of origin, how many applicants are drawn every year -- also a point of political activity every year).

If anyone else has had alternative experiences with the assylum process in the US, speak up!

Dan

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
There is always a flight to Mexico City. Then to Nuevo Larado, a quick walk across the bridge and a nice drive on I-35, back to the Metroplex.

Thousands do it every year from all over the world. It ain't legal but......
Of course your mileage may vary.

Hog Killer

The one I know who did this had a Texas DL to show.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We tried to obtain a Visa on behalf of someone in Zimbabwe last year and it was turned down twice. The consulate is not approving Visas for anyone who cannot show that they have signifigant assets and reasons to return to Zimbabwe.

Seems many from Zimbabwe come here for a short visit and dont go back. Dont apply for a visa in Zimbabwe, but rather go to London and with your British passport come to the states.

With all that is occuring in Zimbabwe a white person should be able to claim asylum in this country.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Just show up. It happens daily down here with far less agreeable people.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Everyone has been very helpful and it is appreciated more than I can express!

My favorite is the trip to Mexico way!

I'm guessing that someone with a Mac computer, a good scanner, and a little ingenuity could make some pretty convincing "papers".

Hmmmmm!!

Thanks a lot for the help. I guess I need to start making some phone calls.

JDs

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:

If we knew the answer to that question then we would get Mugabe out of Zimbabwe .....and then your friend wouldn't have to leave!

(Sorry to make a flippant comment on a serious question, but I just couldn't help it!)

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote