THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Burris Fullfield II 1.75X5X20 for DGR?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris Fullfield II 1.75X5X20 for DGR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have this scope? I'm looking for something economical and tough to put on top a working guide's DGR. its a CZ 550 416 rigby. It looks about right and is much cheaper than the leupolds which look nice, but are a little top expensive for my budget.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ps i have 2 fullfield II 3X9X40 which seem really good scopes for the price.

cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trap....I have the Burris Sig. Safari 1.25x5 on my CZ 9.3x62 and love it. I have a couple of the Fullfield II's, but not the one you're asking about....they are excellent scopes. The Sig. Safari, in my opinion, rivals some much more expensive optics...it really has great viewing thru it...clear and bright.

Gary B.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cool mate....actually looking for some one who has one and has shot the snot out of it in a heavy rifle. The signature safari is great, but expensive, also i didn't know they had one in 1.25X5 . where did you get yours and if its not too rude approximate how much was it.

9.3 X 62 excellent caliber. I shot a european 8 x75 R the last trip i was in RSA Nov 2004. nice...they say 9.3x62 is like 375 H&H. I don't know never shot a 9.3.

I reckon the burris scopes are value for money. anyway if it craps out on me i'll just mount my 3X9 as a stop gap.

Hope there is more advice to be had. thanks for the response.

cheers, tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
If this is going to be a guide gun for DG.....Why would you put a cheap optics on it??? IMO
I would use top of the line optics or just stay with a premium after market express sights...Lives depend on it... IMO..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trap;

Yes, 9.3x62, handloaded, is close to the 375's performance in factory loads. I have a couple of hundred rounds thru the 9.3/Safari combo...no problems. I bought the Safari from Graf & Sons (www.grafs.com) for about $350US. Mounts, of course, come with the CZ and work great.

Mike....while I most certainly respect your opinion, the new Burris optics, especially their Signature and above lines, are top drawer stuff. I wouldn'r hesitate for a second to line up on a buff with my CZ/Burris combo....but I plan on using my open sights on my 470 instead. I have Zeiss and Swarovski optics, too. No doubt, great stuff, but the Burris Safari is right there.

Gary B.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
respect to all concerned, but actually i have used leupold,lynx, ziess, sarvoski and various other 1.5-6 types scopes on various rifles. I was just looking for something that will take crap and still keep kicking, there has been no difference in performance of my well made budget scopes to the premium brands. I guess i'm a bit of a babarian, the only scope that in my opinion shines above any is zeiss or kahles

Also my situation is very strange to people in the states.
I keep my rifles with my PHs in Africa, as we aren't allowed to store at reasionable prices here in Singapore. I try not to leave expensive items in africa, hence a CZ and burris combo.Let's put it this way i see my DGR maybe 4 times a year. I like it to be value for money and do the job.

Anyway the The PH and our client's normally shoot 500NE so its not a primary backup, its just a caliber i've always wanted. I guess i'll test the combo out and let everyone know how it goes.

I hate having great optics and pretty rifles and only to drop the damn thing down a mountain or something. Ugly and reliable does me every time. also i have found that expensive is not often reliable. its just pretty.

cheers, tm.