Find
Notify
Tools

Carter's War
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted
What happened to Carter's War? Dropped? Moved? Replaced by another pathetic husband and wife whitetail show?

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Replaced by Biff and Buffy talk turkey.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was not renewed. It was not because of ratings. Perhaps Ivan can comment.

I know he is in the middle of some projects at the moment. It may take some time.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Too bad. I thought it was a very good program overall.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely.

A lot of things are going on in that industry. It is harder and harder to keep good programming going.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Ivan Carter is a good representative of the hunting community and on the show displayed a profound understanding of the animals and human conflict issues threatening the survival of wild places and wild animals. The show may have been too effective to be broadcast on non-outdoor channels.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I agree completely.

A lot of things are going on in that industry. It is harder and harder to keep good programming going.

The son of my best friend is in "the business" and apparently, industry is going more to social media to promote their stuff. LOTS more reach and practically free.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems all the current lineup of hunting shows are nothing more than thinly veiled infomercials intended on pimping and selling stuff. Something like Carter's War is far too informative for commercial TV.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
I agree completely.

The son of my best friend is in "the business" and apparently, industry is going more to social media to promote their stuff. LOTS more reach and practically free.

Yup. It's not really about content anymore, but about being an 'influencer.' You gain a ton of followers on instagram, subtly pitch a product, bump sales, and watch the money roll in. Instagram is full of them like a guy who call himself 'The Fat Jewish." I think he has over 10 million(!) followers. The rise of the chickification of hunting on social media has nothing to do with actual hunting, but gaining followers of pretty girls who show their asses to gain followers. Then, when the hot chick says something like, "These XXX-brand trekking poles were a lifesaver when I was packing out my elk," all the while the picture showing a shot from the rear, hair tossled, curve of a rump (her, not the elk), you know you've been had...

It's a sorry state out there...

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Baxter is 100% correct. The same thing sells that always sold...its just that marketing media is now freely available.

It has changed the world and if hunting and real conservation is to survive...we too must find a route to exploit it.

Dinosaurs like myself however are worthless in that venue. Hopefully Jon and the new AWCC { https://www.africanwildlifecc.org/ } will find the way forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
It seems all the current lineup of hunting shows are nothing more than thinly veiled infomercials intended on pimping and selling stuff. Something like Carter's War is far too informative for commercial TV.

Exactly!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to say too much. An alternative is in the works. It should be even better. Perhaps more importantly, if all goes according to plan, it will go to the audience where it should have the most impact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So there is hope. tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure seems like there is a lot more chaff than wheat these days. I don't do social media and we cut the cable cord. We stream what we want. Although, I still think TV should be 'free.' I am finding other ways to spend my limited free time. If something is good I will make the effort to view it.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to say too much. An alternative is in the works. It should be even better. Perhaps more importantly, if all goes according to plan, it will go to the audience where it should have the most impact.

Opposite the Kratt brothers would be excellent...

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

who?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

who?

PBS kids nature show

Wild Kratts

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you know if Branlin Shockey is still involved?

JEB Katy, TX

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
quote:

Do you know if Branlin Shockey is still involved?

It would be nice if he was. Branlin can sure churn out some high quality production.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought it to be perfect for viewing on "Animal Planet." That way the non hunters could actually learn something about hunting and real wildlife conservation.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
branlin and i are working on a project together , he is the best in the business when it comes to edit and story - i can't say too much but you will be very pleased with the messaging - carters War was not renewed - budgets for that type of show are harder and harder to find and it was a high budget production - i was very sad we did not get to do a season three but the good news is both seasons are airing in several asian countries - would love one day to revive it - it has resulted in great funding support for several causes and was the foundation for us starting our not for profit

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Very much looking forward to it. Glad Branlin's involved - the two of you make a great team.

JEB Katy, TX

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Ivan.
Good to hear from you here again.

Please "come back" with an other great show.

Best wichest from Germany.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Carter’s War available on DVD?

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Good luck with your endeavors. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't watch TV much, but I do download TV episodes I watch while travelling on my ipad.

What I found is that there are very few programs that I really like now.

All the old one from National Geographic and the History Channel and others are no longer being made.

iTunes is full of all sorts of rubbish, and Netflix is not far behind.

I liked programs of adventures in wild places, like Africa, South America and Alaska.

But I see non of them is being made now.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote