Find
Notify
Tools

SNAKE FEARS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted
A troubling concern is why some of you big game hunters that side of the pond are scared of our little itsy-bitsy African snakes. Big Grin

If THIS IS IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS. BE CAREFUL ! ! !

This is why you shouldn't go looking for the golf balls hit 'Out of Bounds' in Florida !!!

THIS IS NOT A PYTHON!
This is a 15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake - the largest ever caught on record, in fact.
This snake was found Near the St. Augustine outlet, in a new KB homes subdivision just south of Jacksonville FL.
A little research revealed the following:
One bite from a snake of this size would contain enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men.
The head of this snake alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man.
A bite from those fangs would be comparable to being stabbed by two curved, 1/4 inch diameter screwdrivers.
The knife being used to draw out the fangs for the bottom picture has a blade around 6 inches long.
This snake is estimated to have weighed over 170 pounds. (How much do you weigh?)
Notice the girth of this snake as compared to the cop's leg in the first picture (and he is not a small man).
A snake of this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child (and dogs, pigs, etc).
A snake this size has an approximately 5 1/2 foot accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size rattlesnake is about 2 feet . )
This snake has probably been alive since George Bush Sr. was President.

Now just ask yourself these questions: What has this snake been feeding on and where are its offspring?
This example of poor wildlife being murdered by scared humans was sent to me by a concerned fellow AR member who is guilty of a suspect sense of humour. Roll Eyes dancing

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Yep, eastern diamondbacks = fear factor. Still, puff adders not willing to move off the warm path would scare me more -- no rattle!!!

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Yep, eastern diamondbacks = fear factor. Still, puff adders not willing to move off the warm path would scare me more -- no rattle!!!

For what it is worth, plantation managers and dog trainers in South Georgia are reporting more and more instances of rattlesnakes NOT rattling when confronted.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake

Myth Unraveled

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This snake was killed some time back and while it was indeed a huge eastern diamondback it was just over seven feet long.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnakes don't eat children either.

Prolly a lot more rats running around that neighborhood now that the snake is gone.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross Allen had a standing 50k reward for a eastern diamondback of 8 ft. No one has ever brought one in. After his death someone else offered the samething and it has not been paid.There was a world record said to be 8ft 2in but Ross Allen doubted it thus the reward.
I used to sell Ross rattlesbakes when I was young and in africa I still search for snakes. In 31 safaris i have been shocked how few i can actually find. I have found some of the usual bad snakes and many harmless but If someones pays attention to where they walk, sit and reacto pick things up your chances of being bitten are remote.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 foot rattlesnake??

Oh yeah, last night I saw Elvis in my neighbourhood, then aliens adbucted him with a magnetic beam.

Some people will believe anything...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The world has never seen a 15 foot rattler. Optical illusion.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are few things that elicit as much exaggeration and hysteria as snakes, boobs, or guns.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know too many people who could hold 170 lbs on the end of a pole at arms length like that. Lil BS goin on.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
please... Roll Eyes

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my greatest fear is the political snakes

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
High School girl friend told me trouser snakes were by far the most dangerous of all.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't no such thing as a 15' rattlesnake. Spent my whole life in South Texas and the biggest one I've ever seen was about 7'.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
cameras can do amazing things.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much like many "trophy" photos, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
my greatest fear is the political snakes

You beat me to it.