THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What are the most common 416 Rigby factory loads available in Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the most common 416 Rigby factory loads available in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the most common 416 Rigby factory loads available in Africa? Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, "Commonly available" and "Africa" do not usually appear in the same sentence :-)

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Matt, "Commonly available" and "Africa" do not usually appear in the same sentence :-)

I'm always surprised when I read something like this(I do understand that is was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek). It kinda reminds me Allen Day saying something to the effect of: Over there they are all wildcats.

The truth is that the larger cities have gunshops that stock ammo, and in the event that a gunshop is not close at hand there are usually local expats and PHs that would be able to sell enough ammo to keep your hunt on the rails.

With Matt taking a nonstandard 416 Rigby to Africa it makes sense that he should set it up to take the ammo that is locally available.

Matt, it would be worth mentioning which country you might hunt.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only .416 Rigby I saw in a store over there was Federal Premium safari. One box of TBBC's.

Other calibers were more Norma or S&B. The ammo selection seemed pretty sparse compared to what we see in the states. (and very expensive comparatively.)

I think it depends on the store and what the last customer who ordered some there wanted.

South Africa does have a domestic ammo industry, but the other countries are pretty restrictive. SA may have some house brand.

If there is a country you are more interested in, state it, as there are some local folks from them who can give a much better perspective. As I recall, in the countries I hunted, they had to have a license to buy ammo, and the amounts and calibers that you could buy were restricted based on your license.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The most common loads available in Zambia are 400gr. I have seen them available in Norma Swift and Hornady DGS. I have also seen Norma 450gr African PH rounds. However the prices are very high. You are looking at roughly $400-$450 per box of 20.

South Africa, Namibia and Botswana are slightly cheaper and have more variety

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ColoradoMatt

Zim = Federal 400g

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Colorado Matt

I am not sure where you are coming from Matt.

How many rifles are you planing on taking on your safari?

You are allowed 11 pounds of ammo to take with you. And if need be you can take your ammo 1 box at a time to your local meat market and they will give you the exact weight. I have found the factory weight to be right on for factory ammo.

Example i was able to take 3 boxes of 225 gr 338 win mag ammo plus 3 boxes of 450 NE ammo and that was right at the 11 pounds limit. if you weight your ammo and find out that you have to take a round or 2 out just fill the slots with cotton balls as they want all ammo slots filled.

Now if you are just checking to see what is available and that you could purchase in case your luggage is lost. That will be good information to have. Or are you planning on traveling with a rifle and purchasing your ammo in Africa that is another. In that case have your PH find a spot that carries the ammo and plan on stopping there to pick so up before going on safari.

However what i do is fly and stay in South Africa or another country if that is where i am flying into for 1 or more days and nights to make sure my rifle(s) and luggage(s) is there or has a chance to arrive before i fly out into the bush. You know those special flight to bring your equipment in to camp can be pricey, so the extra days before hand do serve a purpose as far as i am concerned.

Sound like you are receiving many points of view...

quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
What are the most common 416 Rigby factory loads available in Africa? Thanks
Matt

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quick question for Buzz Charlton- I see from your videos that you use a 416 Rigby. What grain bullets do you use. Have you used 450gr rounds on your close up elephant hunts. If so do they make any noteable difference compared to the normal 400gr which is the most common ammo that is available.