Find
Notify
Tools

Tunisian Boars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I might be going to Tunisia for a few months for work.

What is the wild boar situation there. Most of the websites I can find are in French (which I don't speak).

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/h..._details.cfm?id=3537

Aggressive Wild Boar in Tunisia

Published: April - 2015

In January of this year I was scheduled to hunt wild boar in Tunisia with my good friend Geoff Clothier. Personal circumstances prevented my going, so Geoff made the trip on his own. He sent me a detailed rundown on what he found. The outfitter for the trip is Baron Erik von Eckhardt of Svenska Jaktresor AB (http://www.svenska-jaktresor.se/; svenska.jaktresor@tele2.se; 011-46-016-74163), who has organized driven hunts in Tunisia for Barbary wild boar for 40 years.
Geoff's transit through Frankfurt to Tunis with his firearm and ammunition was uneventful. [Editor's Note: Readers may recall that Frankfurt had imposed a special licensing requirement even for firearms in transit, but those have been rescinded as we reported on in our January issue, Article 3467.] In Tunisia, Geoff learned that satellite phones are not allowed, and Tunisian customs (who did not speak English) took his and returned it upon his departure. Two-way radios are also prohibited. A 3½-hour drive brought them to Hotel Suftulia in Kasserine, site of General George Patton's famous victory in World War II, their base for the week.

The weather during the hunt was clear and in the 70s during the day. Mornings started with breakfast at 7am, then an hour's drive to collect the beaters and another half-hour to reach the hunting grounds. Hunting is both in low-elevation olive groves and cactus patches and higher up. Hikes to reach the shooting pegs were either short and over broken ground or 20- to 30-minute climbs up steep trails. With a small hunting party, it was possible to organize five to six drives per day, typically ending at 3:30pm. Because his small party (three hunters) could move and set up more quickly and quietly than a larger group, Geoff tells me he felt he was seeing more and larger boars. Hunting is with smoothbore shotguns and slugs only. Eckhardt says shooting boar here is more wingshooting than riflery. Geoff brought a bolt-action slug gun and reflex sight, which he found troublesome on driven pigs moving at blurring speed through brush. He switched to........(continued)

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/h..._details.cfm?id=3787

A Firsthand Report on Tunisian Wild Boar Hunting

Published: April - 2016

Last year, my friend Geoff Clothier hunted boar in the mountainous, oak-forested Kasserine area of Tunisia. Tunisia has been marked by several well-publicized terrorist incidents in the last year. As a result, Eckhardt moved his hunts farther south to the oases around the Chott el-Djerid, the largest salt pan in the Sahara Desert.
I hunted this new area for six days with a group of eight Europeans. We stayed in two different hotels, one in Kebili and the other in Tozeur (best known as the planet "Tatooine" in the original Star Wars).

This was driven hunting with beaters and dogs in scrub lands, reeds, and date orchards, often with wild camels wandering in the background. Eight or so beaters with four dogs would make four to six drives per day, pushing the wild pigs toward the waiting hunters. Hunting was with shotguns and slugs (rifles or buckshot are not allowed). Shots were almost always at running pigs, and care had to be taken as slugs could ricochet off the soft sand if they missed.

Most shooting will be at a maximum of 50 to 60 yards, with many shorter shots. If you have access to a running-boar target to train on, take full advantage of it. Bring 50 rounds; you won't need nearly that many, but you will feel more comfortable having them when you inevitably miss pigs. Eckhardt's hunters usually rendezvous in Frankfurt, Germany, for the daily flight to Tunis. All the hunters and their guns travel together to the hunting area; no individual travel with firearms in Tunisia. From Tunis, it was about an eight-hour drive by motor coach to the first hotel. When the six-day hunt ends, the hunters return to the airport together so there is no time for touring, though a non-hunting companion could certainly see the desert sights while a hunter is in the field.

In January when I hunted, breakfast was at 7am, departure from the hotel at 7:45, with a drive of 30 to........(continued)

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote