New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rosslyn safari-Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone hunted with this outfitter at Crawson, with archery gear in the last several years?
I would like to ask some questions if you have, thanks.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted there myself.

But, I have hunted with Peter Johnstone and Rosslyn Safaris many years ago, had a great time. And stayed in touch.

I have been getting reports from hunters who have hunted there, and all reports have been very positive.

I would not hesitate to recommend them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
I conduct several hunts/ year at Cawston, both with rifle and bow, if you have specific questions, please drop me an email.

Regards

Martin
www.martinpieterssafaris.cm

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
DF,
Just got back home last week after spending a few days at Cawston with Martin. Beautiful property and loaded with some very nice plainsgame! Also top-notch accomodations and superb setting... you can't go wrong here! PM me with questions.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
good operator.Good area. I also know the blinds and stands are top notch

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I have bowhunted Cawston and you won't find a better bowhunting experience anywhere in Africa. Large property, great camp, and tons of game.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
If you go, you'll find Peter Johnstone to be one of the grand old gentlemen of the safari industry. If I'm not mistaken, his Zimbabwean PH license is #1, he's been there from the beginning of their modern safari industry. He's had that property for many years and developed it into a first rate plains game destination from what I've been told. I'd love to hunt there myself.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
2nd what Jerry said. Having bow hunted 6 times at different locations in Zim Namabia RSA Cawston is the place I most wish to return to. Shot a Leopard the first day of my hunt and it only got better after that! Take plenty of arrows.

Posts: 1 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
If you go, you'll find Peter Johnstone to be one of the grand old gentlemen of the safari industry. If I'm not mistaken, his Zimbabwean PH license is #1, he's been there from the beginning of their modern safari industry. He's had that property for many years and developed it into a first rate plains game destination from what I've been told. I'd love to hunt there myself.

You are correct about his license number.

My grandfather hunted with him in the first days after the revolution ended. The safari cars still had armour plates beneath them for land mines and the safari compound was surrounded by a double razor wire fence with big dogs in the middle. The lions would come up at night and roar at the dogs to torture them.

Interestingly, Peter apparently believed that panty hose (over the pants) allowed hunters to move more quietly in the leopard blind, even going so far as to get my grandfather into a pair.

Anyone else ever heard that story?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cawston is a lovely hunting area if you want to hunt a Ranch type hunt and not a Wilderness Safari area.
Great accommodations and Host.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote