New
Find
Notify
Tools

canadian shipping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
it seems that calgary has turned into a shipping nightmare. they are charging gst on trophys. they tried to turn our shipment back to rsa because of a bug in the container. our broker intervened[ thank god] and we had to rent a storage area and hire a fumigator at a huge cost. we had a female agent -anti hunter with a thorn up her ass. stay away from calgary. i told the story to my new broker and he immediately knew that we had shipped thru calgary.

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
The dudes from Calgary can not be that good as , I got a call today from my taxidermist( who picked up my crates for me) that he put everthing into a walk in freezer as when he opened the crates, all bones,skulls,tusks,and skins had larva, and maggots. ALIVE. How they were cleared? I do not know.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my shipment from Zim into Calgary in Aug. I have always cleared my own stuff and have never had a problem. The holding warehouse, Menzies aviation, have always been great for me as far as being helpful. The main lady that works there is great, her father does some PH work in SA. This time the inspector from AG Canada claimed their were bugs in my shipment. Menzies lined up a fumigator that charged me around $500. I went through my crate at home and couldn't find one dead bug. In my opinion the inspector had a bug up his but when he saw there were ellie tusks in the shipment.

As far as charging GST on the trophies I have always been charged. With that said, it only takes one bureaucrat in the system with an agenda to make it difficult, even if you have everything in order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
The dudes from Calgary can not be that good as , I got a call today from my taxidermist( who picked up my crates for me) that he put everthing into a walk in freezer as when he opened the crates, all bones,skulls,tusks,and skins had larva, and maggots. ALIVE. How they were cleared? I do not know.

White North

Not a very efficient "dip and pack" operation - you should ask for a refund. Lucky for you the shipment was not destroyed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my trophies through YYC and did not even pay GST at customs. (The only comment was about GST on taxidermy work.)

Cleared it myself and they were not held for Ag Canada to inspect either.
Done inside two hours, start to finish.
I evidently won the lottery that day.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote