THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 or Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 or Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted
How would you compare the above two scopes?

I was looking to mount the VX3 on my Ruger No.1 450/400, but when I checked pricing, the VX-R is priced in the same bracket, but has the benefit of the Illuminated reticle. Although not necessary 90% of the time, it is nice if I were to use it for bushpigs on bait in moonlight. I do not like the look of the VX3 with Illuminated Reticle, mainly due to the offcentre Illumination control, also it is a bit more expensive.

Which of these 2 scopes would you go for?

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken the VXR optics are equivalent to the VX2 optics. So the VX3 optics are a step above the VX2.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the eye relief the same? I have the 1.5-5x on my No.1 450/400 so less overhang.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bit more weight to the VX R, if that's an issue.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Also check to see if the VXR comes with dual erector springs which is a feature of the VX3 line. As Singleshot said, my understanding is the VXR is based on VX2 technology which doesn't have dual erector springs. The dual springs makes for more accurate adjustments.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Not trying to keep you from buying a Leupold with an illuminated reticle as I have several but be aware that the illuminated reticle is not covered by Leupold's lifetime warranty unlike other parts of the scope.

I think dual erector springs are good in a heavy recoiling gun but I had a Vari X or maybe a VX II on a 458 Lott for a time with no problem.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the VXR I used it to hunt Leopard In zim the adjustable light was great at night . It also has a 30 mm body with great light gathering and clarity . I have both on detachable rings for my 375. My PH has thought it was the best available for night hunting. do not know about springs but it was easy to zero in

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold Vx-r scopes on several rifles and think they are a great value. I used one on my 416 rem mag in Tanzania with great results. The only issue is the crosshairs are very thick for longer range shooting. The 2-7x model is a very versatile scope.
Chris

Posts: 172 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the VX R 1-4 on a .458 WM to take an Elephant and a Cape Buffalo in Zim with Nixon. I like it and it performed well. Remember though that the tube on the VX R is 30mm.
I will also say that I have moved up to the VX 6 on several of my DG rifles and it is magnificent but much more expensive.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have both - my VX3 is a 30mm illuminated reticule model.

Firstly the VXR is a variation of the famous 1-4X 20 shotgun scope. So it is reputed to be very robust.

I bought the VXR for my CZ550 Mag 416 Rigby & asked the Leupold service guys for their opinion before buying it.

BIG mistake. When it arrived and I fitted it with CZ Warne rings I found that the scope was about 10 mm too short. The front rings were clamping the front lens.

I went ahead & installed it as the Leupold staff said it was ok. After a few shots the front lens developed spots inside & it looked like the lens coating had blistered from compression by the rings and the recoil against that compression. I returned the scope to Leupold with photos of installation and the advise given by their tech. They sent the scope back after repairs and advised that the rings should never be over the lens housing.

I bought the 1.5-5X VX3 30mm illum scope on ARBay & it is a perfect fit for the 416 Rigby CZ Magnum action.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you correspond with Michael458. He has a lot of experience with big bores bolt rifles and scopes.

I think he has moved to some of the more robust Nikons now.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VX-R 2x7 on my 375 H&H and it performed superbly in Africa...my PH and 2 of his part timers loved the red dot...so did I...bought another for a 300 H&H and when I got it, the red dot did not work...called Leupold and they said send it in...I did...they did...it works perfectly. Don't know where the above poster got the idea they wouldn't warranty it....cause they fixed mine and I had it home in less than 14 days.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat too.

The VX3 is a little crisper optically but it is hard to ascertain a lot of difference.

The method of adjusting the illumination is different . In the VX3 the dial does the adjusting. The VXR has the same style and function with the adjustment as the VX6 which I am using all the way as I really like the VX6. This adjustment is from the center of the tube housing and is by holding or toggling the button.

I have and like the Firedot style in the VX6 which again is the same style in VXR. In the VX3 you have an illuminated reticle instead of the dot in the center style. You could possibly have more glare from the VX3 but that is not well defined. The VXR and the VX6 Firedot goes off when the rifle is static, if you have it turned on, but reactivates the illumination when the rifle is moved. So you don't have to do anything as far as turning it back on.

If you were hunting more open country where a longer shot might be necessary, and wanted to have the illumination option , then the VX3 is probably somewhat better with its thinner reticle and lighted edges and slightly better optics. If you are more in the woods and in the thicker stuff then the VXR or VX6 should probably perform better. I put my VXR on a different gun when I got another new VX6.

As I understand it from Leupold, and from reading the warranty, the scope and optics and the mechanicals carry the Leupold Lifetime Warranty.

However the Leupold Illumination systems carry the Golden Ring Electronics Warranty which is 2 years.

They are both tough and either will work. Both have the 30mm tubes. The eye relief specs said the VX3 had a tad more eye relief. I didn't have any problem with the VXR eye relief.

The VX 6, while not what you asked, is both the toughest and has the best optics of all. That is for anything that has had Leupold on the side of it made to date. It is also as you would expect more expensive too, as was noted above.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts on scopes & a suggestion that if your budget can handle it you might want to look at a few other scopes.

I am very much a feel & touch kind of person, I have a hard time making up my mind about what I like/recommend until I put them side by side and play with them.

I recently spent some time & a pile of money buying & doing my own comparisons of low magnification variable illuminated scopes with a eye towards using for dangerous game . The least expensive scope I looked at was the VX-3. I did not look at the VX-6 but will in the future.

Conclusions:

All the scope should/would work in good daylight & under most conditions.

I prefer scopes with a true 1X at the low end. This allows you to shoot with both eyes open using the scope like a reflex sight

In poor light you can do much better than the VX-3, but it will cost you more. After a side by side comparison with the sun going down I found that I would not feel comfortable taking a shot with the Leupold VX-3 while others were still bright.

Based on scope quality, size, weight, cost, features, field of view, use in poor light, etc. my favorite scope was the K series Kahles 1x5 (the Helia 5 is the same scope but does not have the large cattail on the power ring and reinforced objective end) and for a little less money my second choice was the Meopta 1x6.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
A few thoughts on scopes & a suggestion that if your budget can handle it you might want to look at a few other scopes.

I am very much a feel & touch kind of person, I have a hard time making up my mind about what I like/recommend until I put them side by side and play with them.

I recently spent some time & a pile of money buying & doing my own comparisons of low magnification variable illuminated scopes with a eye towards using for dangerous game . The least expensive scope I looked at was the VX-3. I did not look at the VX-6 but will in the future.

Conclusions:

All the scope should/would work in good daylight & under most conditions.

I prefer scopes with a true 1X at the low end. This allows you to shoot with both eyes open using the scope like a reflex sight

In poor light you can do much better than the VX-3, but it will cost you more. After a side by side comparison with the sun going down I found that I would not feel comfortable taking a shot with the Leupold VX-3 while others were still bright.

Based on scope quality, size, weight, cost, features, field of view, use in poor light, etc. my favorite scope was the K series Kahles 1x5 (the Helia 5 is the same scope but does not have the large cattail on the power ring and reinforced objective end) and for a little less money my second choice was the Meopta 1x6.

Well said sir! tu2

:

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
I looked at the VX-R last week Thursday when I went up to Pretoria and had a S&B 1.1-4x24 alongside it. The difference in clarity was unbelievable, and although the VX-R does have an illuminated reticle, it doesn't help when you can't see the animal in the dark but have a red aiming mark. Unfortunately, the S&B was 33% more, so I left it and went home back to KZN wondering where I'm going to get the extra money. Just as well. The next day I get an email from Safari & Outdoor with a list of their Huntex Specials - S&B 33% discount - Happy Days. Although it doesn't have an illuminated reticle, the quality of the optics will definitely make up for it, and with the A7 Post being quite thick, I should definitely be able to Hit a Pig at 50m in the moonlight. Thanks for the opinions and advice.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote