THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The REALITY of hunting Dangerous Game...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The REALITY of hunting Dangerous Game...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As a "Late-Bloomer" to sport hunting and only learning what its like to hunt DG from reading other hunters sharing their experiences here and watching certain TV shows...I'm surprised that more ELE and Cape Buff, etc. charges and gorings, etc. don't occur while in the field.

I would think many encounters of this nature would potentially occur and do occur...

Again, I'm surprised that more PH's and more hunters aren't seriously injured or suffer fatally from our sport!

Or do they... but many close encounters, injuries, deaths don't make the headlines here?

Its a dangerous sport indeed and why I would like to experience its challenges someday!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My PH this year explained that hunting elephants in the thick jess was very dangerous, and they are extremely unpredictable at that range. Especially with calves, as the cows need very little reason to feel you are a threat then. You could just see and feel how keyed up the entire team got, when we were that close. The slightest wind change, and we had more excitement than we wanted, several times over.

He believed it was far better (and safer) to do all your sorting and evaluation at about 60 yards, then head right in, make the shot and back out a ways if necessary. How will he ever make Internet history, working like that ? ? ?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that more guys don't fall out the back of Land Cruisers.

Incidents occur every season that don't make the headlines.

Some include client mishaps, such as getting drunk and falling into the river when relieving oneself, or the fire after passing out (I heard of several such happenings, but funny that no hunting report ever mentions such things!). Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Blank:How will he ever make Internet history, working like that ? ? ?
He won't! He'll just have to join a few Forums and make stuff up - presto, instant Internet legend!!! Wink Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Driving to hunting areas and second hand smoke appear to be much greater dangers on most safaris.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blank:
My PH this year explained that hunting elephants in the thick jess was very dangerous, and they are extremely unpredictable at that range. Especially with calves, as the cows need very little reason to feel you are a threat then. You could just see and feel how keyed up the entire team got, when we were that close. The slightest wind change, and we had more excitement than we wanted, several times over.

He believed it was far better (and safer) to do all your sorting and evaluation at about 60 yards, then head right in, make the shot and back out a ways if necessary. How will he ever make Internet history, working like that ? ? ?

I think it's largely a case of potential for danger, but in many cases, you can reduce that element by the way you hunt and more particularly, the way you follow up wounded game. The old expression 'fools rush in etc' might often be appropriate.

As for dancing with the Zambezi Ladies, I'd say that's one of the (potentially) dangerous things one can do in hunting....... but (IMO) it's largely the fault of the hunting policies of those that have done it in the past and present. Either way, the dangers are well known.

We must also remember that no matter how good or how experienced we are or think we are, anyone can get blindsided anytime, anywhere.

I'd say the PH is more interested in making old bones than he is in making internet history...... I'd call that very sensible! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
It is a dangerous sport, and the threat of being mauled, gored or trampled is real, with the threat increasing through ill preparation, poor judgment and honest bad luck. I have always held the notion of respect for your quarry. We must understand that we are entering into their territory, their domain, their home.

Unless we are fully prepared mentally with the knowledge of understanding how animals react to certain situations, we court disaster. We must respect them and their turf, don't push the boundary without accepting the possible outcomes. Knowing when to enter and withdraw from a situation is a given.

Many years ago I can remember following 4 Elephant bulls through some uncomfortably thick jesse bush, about 10 acres worth. We pushed them from one end to the next a few times without ever getting a good glimpse of their ivory, but we persevered, we were hunting. We finally pushed them down to a dry river bed with no cover on the opposite side, just rocks. We knew they were nearby, when suddenly my tracker burst out from in front of me,eyes wide open screaming, "Nantsi bwana, nantsi Ndhlovu!!" He never stopped running. There,not 15 yards ahead were the 4 bulls, staring down at us. Two of them turned and sped off, whilst the other two just kept on staring at us. It felt like an eternity, befor they both slowly turned, walked off 5 yards, turned, looked at us again, before finally retreating slowly back into the jesse. They had sent us their message; they were tired of being chased, enough now! So we listened.

Just an example of pushing the boundary, understanding the situation, and thanking God nothing serious happened. Another day may have been totally different.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
It is a dangerous sport, and the threat of being mauled, gored or trampled is real, with the threat increasing through ill preparation, poor judgment and honest bad luck. I have always held the notion of respect for your quarry. We must understand that we are entering into their territory, their domain, their home.

Unless we are fully prepared mentally with the knowledge of understanding how animals react to certain situations, we court disaster. We must respect them and their turf, don't push the boundary without accepting the possible outcomes. Knowing when to enter and withdraw from a situation is a given.

Many years ago I can remember following 4 Elephant bulls through some uncomfortably thick jesse bush, about 10 acres worth. We pushed them from one end to the next a few times without ever getting a good glimpse of their ivory, but we persevered, we were hunting. We finally pushed them down to a dry river bed with no cover on the opposite side, just rocks. We knew they were nearby, when suddenly my tracker burst out from in front of me,eyes wide open screaming, "Nantsi bwana, nantsi Ndhlovu!!" He never stopped running. There,not 15 yards ahead were the 4 bulls, staring down at us. Two of them turned and sped off, whilst the other two just kept on staring at us. It felt like an eternity, befor they both slowly turned, walked off 5 yards, turned, looked at us again, before finally retreating slowly back into the jesse. They had sent us their message; they were tired of being chased, enough now! So we listened.

Just an example of pushing the boundary, understanding the situation, and thanking God nothing serious happened. Another day may have been totally different.

I appreciate you sharing these details Neil from a PH perspective...PH's like you and several others really have my UTMOST respect!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The greatest risk you will experience in Africa, being it a given you aren't hanging around in the eastern DRC or the Joburg or Nairobi streets at night, is riding in the cab of the vehicle in the front seat. A serious traffic accident can be calamatous.

Also, since approximately 50% of the world's airline fatalities occur in Africa, riding on an African airline is taking your life in your hands.

The worst injury I have ever sustained in over twenty years of traveling to Africa was on my last hunt, when the Cruiser took a little flip to the right going down that lousy road from Kitiangare camp to Arusha and herniated two discs. It will take a very long time to recover from that, if I ever do, and the discomfort has been totally debilitating for weeks.

So I do sweat the buff and the puff adders and encountering a pissed off elephant, but those vehicles are your greatest risk.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate you sharing these details Neil from a PH perspective...PH's like you and several others really have my UTMOST respect!

aka...."Squeeze"

Thanks, just ensure you have the UTMOST respect with whatever you plan on hunting.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
It certainly can, and does, happen -- but like all risks, your personal safety can be immeasurably improved with good preparation -- both mental and physical -- and lots of intense focus while in the actual danger situation.

Your PH will apreciate your efforts too!

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
quote:

aka...."Squeeze"

Thanks, just ensure you have the UTMOST respect with whatever you plan on hunting.

That's a big AMEN...Safe hunting Neil... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldHandgunHunter:
It certainly can, and does, happen -- but like all risks, your personal safety can be immeasurably improved with good preparation -- both mental and physical -- and lots of intense focus while in the actual danger situation.

Your PH will apreciate your efforts too!

Definitely AGREE... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer: Don't let Neil-PH fool ya, he has a total dis-regard for dangerous animals in dangerous situations! I've hunted buffalo & lion with him, for some reason he just isn't too concerned about aggressive beasts?? Maybe it was just the experiences we had together with wounded/charging buffalo and pissed off lions, not sure but just a guess??? After hunting with him, I learned that the term "Dangerous Game" was nothing more than glorified hype made up by hungry PH's trying to romanticize Africa, thus luring us would be hunters by the droves.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Late-Bloomer: Don't let Neil-PH fool ya, he has a total dis-regard for dangerous animals in dangerous situations! I've hunted buffalo & lion with him, for some reason he just isn't too concerned about aggressive beasts?? Maybe it was just the experiences we had together with wounded/charging buffalo and pissed off lions, not sure but just a guess??? After hunting with him, I learned that the term "Dangerous Game" was nothing more than glorified hype made up by hungry PH's trying to romanticize Africa, thus luring us would be hunters by the droves.

Okay... Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
The greatest risk you will experience in Africa, being it a given you aren't hanging around in the eastern DRC or the Joburg or Nairobi streets at night, is riding in the cab of the vehicle in the front seat. A serious traffic accident can be calamatous.

Also, since approximately 50% of the world's airline fatalities occur in Africa, riding on an African airline is taking your life in your hands.

The worst injury I have ever sustained in over twenty years of traveling to Africa was on my last hunt, when the Cruiser took a little flip to the right going down that lousy road from Kitiangare camp to Arusha and herniated two discs. It will take a very long time to recover from that, if I ever do, and the discomfort has been totally debilitating for weeks.

So I do sweat the buff and the puff adders and encountering a pissed off elephant, but those vehicles are your greatest risk.

Thanks for the reply and it makes perfect sense to me!!!

BTW I wish you a speedy recovery... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer: My comments were really meant as a joke for Neil.

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Late-Bloomer: My comments were really meant as a joke for Neil.

Aaron

You had addressed me tho...no biggie anyways... beer

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just think of as advertising. Great buf and ele hunting, success rate 99% on both animals. However did have one client get trampled by and ele, but he lived.
This might not go over so well.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can certainly empathize with you. A good neurosurgeon (hunter, fisherman) solved my problem with micro surgery. When disk no longer pressed on nerve, pain was gone. It did take a year for the nerve to recover from damage caused by disc but I can now row my drift boat and hiking the ridge tops is not an issue.

By the way, I am a certified "old guy".

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Oh Aaron,oh Aaron.....just when my memory of the glorious old days of hunting was fading, you step in and remind me of things gone by...butt shot buff in thick riverine bush...mmmm....lion trying to tear our blind to pieces or was he trying to rip us apart !!!

That waa definitely one of the adrenaline pumping days - and none of us were in any form of trouble, in total control, aware, respectful, younger and wiser !!

As for the romantic notions.....my wife has categorically stated that I am NOT romantic, guess that settles that one !!

Aaron, we need to do Mocambique, hurry up and sort something out,I'm not going to be around forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, I am a certified "old guy"

Me, too! Wink

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I was "shaken" (in Africa) was this year while hunting Suni, we had just come out of the thick stuff and were walking a 2 track, John (treacker), Mark and myself in line and I heard a thump behing me, I turned to see what happened and there about 3-5 Ft behind me was a Black Mumba which had just fallen from a tree limb just missing me. He slithered off and we continued on, but I was only watching above me, I thought we had changed to coon hunting! At least I had. Eeker

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil - Did I actually shoot that buffalo with the first shot, up the ass with a soft??? No way, not me, I would never do something like that!! Maybe the game isn't really dangerous, the hunters are the dangerous ones.

Yes, Mozambique. Working on it, promise!

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
quote:

Thanks for the reply and it makes perfect sense to me!!!

BTW I wish you a speedy recovery... thumb

I have been on that road at a high rate of speed at night in a defender. I didnt herniate any disk but I am sure that the middle of the seat that I was riding in had a perminate crease in it.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Late-Bloomer:

I hunted Africa only once (buff -successfully) My PH turned out to be a man with a sardonic sense of humor -and who delighted in telling me English/Irish jokes emphasizing insult to the Irish -just as I told anti English jokes. He seemed to know the name of every kind of bush and plant that I asked about. His tracking skills were better than the Zulu trackers in one instance (a wounded zebra) and I also came to the conclusion, as an American hunter, that the PH in Africa for DG is not a "guide" -he's a bodyguard. Like any good bodyguard he expects the client to hold up his end in the presence of DG -and to have respected the whole hunt to begin with (I refuse to say "safari" - it sounds pretentious and Hollywoodish)by knowing his rifle and to have practiced,practiced, practiced before he ever saw Africa -offhand -no aiming sticks. {I may get flak for that but I hasten to say I'm only talking about DG hunts} (Of course, it also pays off in gaining his respect and -not always noted - the respect of the trackers. (I still, to this day, cherish one tracker saying to the PH in my presence after the buff kill - "Him OK shumba" (Meaning he would hunt with me for lion) I hope you go soon because it is an unbelievable experience - and the shooting of a DG is just one major part of it.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you wouldn't have had that problem if you had been carrying a 9,3x62...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I'm surprised that more guys don't fall out the back of Land Cruisers.

Or have Cruisers fall onto them!!!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hippo are the species most often cited in attacks on humans. But mostly people in boats. They will kill if they can get at you.

Elephant cows are dangerous when surprised. Be very cautious when elephant are around. Elephant will kill you almost every time, if they are seriously coming for you and you don't kill them first. Elephant are smartest of all. They will hunt you by scent.

Buffalo are mean when wounded. Or when wearing a snare. They will try to kill you but their success rate is not as high as elephant.

Leopard are the worst when wounded. But they rarely kill, they just rearrange your features.

However, two men armed with high power rifles, the odds are stacked heavily in your favor. One should worry more about vehicle and firearms accidents.

Snakes for the most part are dormant in hunting season. Mosquitos are more worrying than snakes.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Late Bloomer,
You have to realize that what you see on the hunting shows is more exciting than the average safari just like what you see on TV cop shows is a lot more exciting than your average police work. What's more fun to watch, hunters sneaking thru the thick stuff and the buff suddenly coming out of nowhere to be dropped at the hunter's feet, or someone aiming and taking a well placed shot and dropping the buff dead at 50 yards?
My most terrifying time on safari has been a late night ride back to camp. No rollercoaster has anything on that ride!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

Thanks I appreciate the reply... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Hippo are the species most often cited in attacks on humans. But mostly people in boats. They will kill if they can get at you.

Elephant cows are dangerous when surprised. Be very cautious when elephant are around. Elephant will kill you almost every time, if they are seriously coming for you and you don't kill them first. Elephant are smartest of all. They will hunt you by scent.

Buffalo are mean when wounded. Or when wearing a snare. They will try to kill you but their success rate is not as high as elephant.

Leopard are the worst when wounded. But they rarely kill, they just rearrange your features.

However, two men armed with high power rifles, the odds are stacked heavily in your favor. One should worry more about vehicle and firearms accidents.

Snakes for the most part are dormant in hunting season. Mosquitos are more worrying than snakes.

Russ,

Thanks for sharing...it all sounds exciting indeed... thumb