THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunters Report Trouble with Congo Hunting Safaris

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters Report Trouble with Congo Hunting Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=779

Hunters Report Trouble with Congo Hunting Safaris

(posted June 16, 2016)

If you are about to board a plane for a hunt with Congo Hunting Safaris, STOP! Call your booking agent or operators Tielman and Carin Neethling (011 +264 81 128 4134) immediately to check on the status of your hunt. The Hunting Report has heard from two hunters who recently arrived in Congo-Brazzaville only to find that the company was not at all prepared for their safaris.

Subscriber and experienced African hunter Peter Flack, and his organizer Christophe Beau of Grand Safari, arrived in camp only to find Flack’s hunting license had not been acquired and the two PHs and camp manager were being forced to leave the camp under threat of arrest. The only vehicle in camp was an old Hilux with no winch and bald tires. The second hunter arrived in the city of Ouesso with his wife days later to find no meet-and-greet and no rifle permit. A Congo Hunting Safaris staff person finally showed up after two hours, promising to take care of the permit and claiming they had not been informed about his safari dates. After several days of waiting and unsuccessful attempts by Congo Hunting Safaris local staff to secure a permit, the hunter decided to return home.

In the course of investigating what went wrong, The Hunting Report has discovered that the operation’s local Congolese partner Edgar Ewany Opani is in a dispute with his partners (70% investors) Tielman and Carin Neethling of Namibia. Opani, who is responsible for handling local issues such as regulatory matters, taxes and permits, had forced the PHs to leave under threat of having them arrested, and in an email the Neethlings forwarded to The Hunting Report, Opani states twice that he is shutting the company down.

Where does that leave clients with booked safaris? At this time it is unclear exactly what will happen with booked safaris, as we have learned that Opani has brought back former camp manager and PH Andre van Deventer, presumably to take over the camp. Regardless, the situation is quite murky and hunters should contact their agents and the operator immediately and carefully consider their options. Based on the feedback we have received and the various email communications we have reviewed from and between all parties, we do NOT recommend traveling to Congo for this safari until the dispute is straightened out and Opani can prove that they are properly prepared to conduct safaris. Look for a more detailed report in the July issue of The Hunting Report. For now: Caveat Emptor! – Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Seems like I read this same story every year....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I, too, am shocked.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PH Andre van Deventer,

Stay away better run

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable to treat elder statesman of hunting, Peter Flack, like that!
Peter does his homework and was seriously looking forward to this hunt!

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really hope to get to Congo one day. Not looking good though.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Unbelievable to treat elder statesman of hunting, Peter Flack, like that!
Peter does his homework and was seriously looking forward to this hunt!

Knowing Peter he would not have even unpacked his bags and acid will run through his pen when he writes that report.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's strange that the partners in Namibia didn't give the incoming clients any warning that there was trouble in camp. They had to know that something was wrong.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Burke left a week or so ago...hope he made out OK.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if Mike was hunting with the same company.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Mike is hunting with Cam Greig. I actually spoke to Mike by sat phone on Tuesday and he was fine . . . sounded like he was having quite an adventure.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear.

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Mike is hunting with Cam Greig. I actually spoke to Mike by sat phone on Tuesday and he was fine . . . sounded like he was having quite an adventure.

That is what we like to hear!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's strange that the partners in Namibia didn't give the incoming partners any warning that there was trouble in camp. They had to know that something was wrong.

Frank

These things happen overnight without warning. There is a common partner in this takeover as well as the last one, the Congolese partner Edgar Ewany Opani.

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

"adventure" can be defined a number of ways, here's hoping that they're all good ones.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Go Mikey!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys

I know the owners from namibia personally and then the camp manager and ph i do reckon as friends and i know if they know there where any problems they wouldnt sent anybody in for a hunt.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I did hunt in the Congo rainforest on a self quided hunt with Cam Greig. It was a great adventure. I did not hunt with Congo Safaris. I am now in Impfondo trying to make it home.

Cam was trying to help Congo safaris as more or less a consultant. The Republic of Congo is an extremely difficult place to do business. As I understand Congo Safaris is no longer operating here. That should be confirmed but Cam told me such one of the last times we spoke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/p...lackcongosafaris.cfm

CAVEAT CONGO

By Peter Flack, Hunting Report Subscriber

Editor's Note: Peter Flack sent us the following narrative of a disastrous safari to Congo Brazzaville in June 2016. He had booked a safari with Congo Hunting Safaris through Christophe Beau of Grand Safari. The Congo operation was operated by Tielman and Carin Neethling from Namibia with an onsite Congolese staff coordinating local logistics and a staff of professional hunters managing the camp and guiding clients. The Hunting Report has been following this operation since 2011, when it was operated by Gert Saimaan of South Africa. The operation has seen a number of challenges, including problems with firearm import permits, conflicts with a neighbouring NGO, trophy shipping glitches, delayed hunting licenses, and now what seems like a feud between the Neethlings and their Congolese partner.

Besides Flack's complaint (Hunt Report 10560) we also received a few days later a complaint from subscriber Art French and his wife Thelma (Hunt Report 10561). We encourage you to read them both, as they contain all the correspondence from all parties involved. You should also read the other subscriber hunt reports and past articles we have in our database on this hunting opportunity to get a complete picture of what has happened here.

It would appear as if the shareholders in the company holding the Congo Hunting Safaris/Congo Safaris (Congo Safaris) hunting concessions in northern Congo are at loggerheads with one another, and I would advise anyone thinking about hunting there to consider very carefully before booking a hunt with this company and, if they have already booked, of going there.

I arrived at Bonyo Camp, north of Pokola and south of Ndoki Du, a four-hour drive after crossing the Sangha River, which borders the little town of Ouessou, on Wednesday, 1 June 2016, with my guide, the urbane, calm and competent French and African PH, Christophe Beau, after a trying day in which my 38-year old Brno .375 was closely inspected seven times and the details of my passport, visa and Congolese firearms permit were laboriously handwritten on various sheets of scrap paper almost each time.

It was a relief to arrive at Erik Stockenstroom's well built, original camp. I had booked a safari with him many years ago, but it had been cancelled after the Congolese government summarily cancelled his bongo quota and he, in turn, was kidnapped, assaulted, tied to a tree in the rainforest and left to die, while his young, female South African camp cook was repeatedly raped in his absence. I hoped that, in the interim, things had improved since then, but you can judge for yourself.

Things were not well in the camp and the following allegations were made by the South African camp manager and the three South African professional hunters in camp:

The majority shareholder (70%), Tielman Neethling (TL), a successful and well respected Namibian cattle farmer, game rancher and butchery chain owner had invested approximately R15 million ($1 million) in Congo Safaris over the previous three years.

The minority shareholder (30%), a bible toting and quoting Congolese businessman, Edgar Ewany Opani (EEP), who currently lived outside Pretoria on a luxury golf estate, was seeking to take over the company for his own account and had misappropriated between R3 million ($200 000) and R6 million ($400 000) provided by TL.

This included, for example, R500 000 ($33 500) transferred directly to EEP by TL to allow him to pay the customs duty owing on five new Nissan Patrol vehicles and a 40-foot shipping container with four aluminium boats and engines, plus building materials bought by TL and sent to the Congo for use by Congo Safaris, which he had failed to pay resulting in these assets of the company languishing at Point Noire, the Congolese port on the Atlantic, for over eight months always assuming they were still there.

Staff appointed by EEP had similarly misappropriated funds and, for example, charged the company four times the amount payable to the government for the work permits for the four South Africans.

The South African staff at Bonyo camp had been threatened by EEP, both verbally and in writing, that unless they left the camp on the day we arrived, they would be arrested and jailed.

A new camp manager, the controversial Andre van Deventer (who had previously run the camp), was due to take over the management and PHing duties on Monday, 6 June. Mr Van Deventer is a member of an even more controversial family apart from working for a number of controversial bosses in the past and his name has been associated with rhino poaching on more than one occasion.

More importantly, from my point of view, was the following:
My hunting license was not in camp, and I could not hunt legally without it.

The only vehicle in camp was an old, hopelessly unroadworthy Toyota HiLux, which literally had no brakes at all, no lights, no 4x4 capacity, no winch and no mud tires. The latter three characteristics were essential for travel in the wet, muddy rainforest and the absence of the former two, made the driver liable to arrest and incarceration unless a hefty bribe was paid.

Christophe Beau, while acting as my guide, did not have a Congolese work permit and my designated professional hunter was one of the four South Africans who, as I soon discovered, was about to leave the country in two days' time.

On the advice of Christophe Beau and, according to my own evaluation of the situation, there appeared no alternative but to leave camp when the South Africans did and so began a very long and difficult journey back to the capital, Brazzaville, over the next two days.

First, a four-hour car trip from camp to the Sangha River in the unroadworthy vehicle described above on dirt roads soaked and muddy after a thunderous downpour the day before, the likes of which none of us had ever experienced.

Then, a motorised pirogue over the river and a night in a local, cockroach infested hotel in Ouessou while we tried to hire a car and driver to take us to Brazzaville, as the next of the twice-weekly flights from Ouessou to Brazzaville was in three days' time. Incidentally, the actual cost of the hire turned out to be less than half that quoted by Steve, the EEP appointed Congo Safaris staff member in Oessou.

We were told by him that the 840-kilometre trip was over a good, tarred road, subject to about six spot checks and would take no more than 10 to 12 hours.

After being stopped at 21 extortion points - as we came closer to Brazzaville, the armed and drunk police/gendarmes/army personnel dispensed with all formalities and simply demanded, "Give money!" loudly, frequently and while waving around their firearms in a very threatening manner - we arrived at our hotel at 02h00 after a 15-hour trip. The 13th stop at 22h10 was the longest as an army captain made us unpack every item in every suitcase in the road and took nearly 1½ hours to slowly and painstakingly search them, including examining every photo on our cameras, the inside of my camera lenses and medical kit (including the container with effervescent tablets), not to mention my rifle and ammunition.

Entering the country, despite presenting a valid passport and visa to the immigration officials, I was required to produce, "The other paper," a regular request as I was to learn. In this case, he eventually asked for the written invitation issued by the government to visit the country, a copy of which has to accompany every visa application and which is then retained by the embassy issuing the visa. Fortunately, the meet-and-greet man from Congo Safaris drove to their offices in Brazzaville and fetched a duplicate original while we were forced to wait for over an hour for his return and eventually reached our hotel after 01h00.

On my internal domestic flight from Brazzaville to Ouessou en route to Bonyo Camp, I was obliged to produce my passport and visa and Congolese firearms permit yet again. However, the customs official - yes, in the domestic airport - would not accept the permit and insisted I produce, "The other paper". Eventually, he asked for the original invoice for my rifle as neither my South African firearms licence nor my South African temporary import/export permit would do. In desperation, the Congo Safaris meet-and-greet staff member called the police and the stupidly incompetent and grossly corrupt buffoon accepted as a face saving measure that, if I registered my rifle and ammunition with the police, that would suffice. Barely an hour later there was an action replay on the banks of the Sangha River outside Ouessou, except this time all my luggage was rummaged through by the grubby fingers of three customs officials lazing under a tree on the banks of the river.

Our exit from the country was even worse and the corrupt Kenya Airlines manager at Maya Maya International Airport refused to load my rifle and ammunition on my return flight despite having been advised in writing four days previously to do so by Kenya Airlines who had transported me, my rifle and ammunition from Johannesburg to Brazzaville a few days earlier.

Finally, I would like to make two last points. Firstly, we were deliberately singled out for this treatment. Other vehicles, the same or similar to ours, were usually waved through the various extortion points but, as soon as they saw our white faces, the chef de poste would be eagerly summoned, and we were surrounded by the rest of the police/army/gendarme personnel and the ritual shake-down would begin. Secondly, ever since President Obama indicated that the recent presidential elections in the Congo were neither free nor fair, which they manifestly were not, Americans and, by implication, all English-speaking whites, appeared to be singled out for this aggressive and corrupt treatment.

I am an African. I have been the CEO of a gold mining group quoted on the London Stock Exchange with subsidiaries in nine African countries and have hunted in a further 19. I am not a novice to African travel with or without firearms and have long since had their golden rules etched onto my internal hard drive, but I have never remotely come across such shameless, blatant, pervasive and voracious corruption, dishonesty and incompetence in my life, accompanied by such clear and unequivocal threats should you not comply, and it seems to me that this is the very essence of what passes for Congolese culture. I will never, ever go there again.

Lastly, I have a suggestion. If the breath of many of these dangerously drunk, armed men at the various extortion points could be bottled, there would be a ready market for it as a paint stripper or for use as a thermal lance to melt metal.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What the fuck?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And why is it that people want to go there?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mike B's hunt must have been the last one Cam arranged before he passed away.At least his apparently went well. Sounds like Congo is everything that is wrong with Africa all rolled into 1 toilet...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's to hoping Mike Burke's return goes much smoother than Peter Flack's.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i lived in Car at the end of 80s and began of 90s and there is no way you will pay me to go in Zaire now RDC or in Congo Kinshasa now Congo, that should sum up a lot ...

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I am in Paris awaiting my connecting flight to ATL and on to LFT. The Republic of Congo is another African country with so much potential, but is an extremely corrupt and mismanaged country.

I travelled in to the rainforest with Cam from Brazzaville to Impfondo to a Bantu village to a Pygmy village where we separated. I did not learn he was extremely ill and being flown out until the last day of my hunt. Without the help of Cam's friends Dr. Harvey and his wife Becky I am not sure what would have happened. They are Americans that have operated a mission and hospital for 20 years in Impfondo. They are some of the best people I have ever met.

Cam contracted with a local to bring us to the Bantu village and pick us up when the hunt was over. He was also to buy our return tickets from Impfondo to Brazzaville. I will not go in to detail about the Impfondo airport but there are only three flights a week on a 737 serial number 0001. It is 20 times worse the the airport in Bulawayo. It was the most chaotic place I have ever seen. Anyway this guy heard Cam was flown out got refunds on the tickets and tried to keep all of the money. Becky sent a driver to pick me up, thankfully I had a sat phone. By the grace of God I was able to secure a ticket Monday morning to fly out within two hours. I could continue but once in the forest it was good except for the loud mouth Bantu tracker.

I am really enjoying the peace and quiet of the Paris airport.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://www.huntingreport.com/p...lackcongosafaris.cfm

CAVEAT CONGO

By Peter Flack, Hunting Report Subscriber

Editor's Note: Peter Flack sent us the following narrative of a disastrous safari to Congo Brazzaville in June 2016. He had booked a safari with Congo Hunting Safaris through Christophe Beau of Grand Safari. The Congo operation was operated by Tielman and Carin Neethling from Namibia with an onsite Congolese staff coordinating local logistics and a staff of professional hunters managing the camp and guiding clients. The Hunting Report has been following this operation since 2011, when it was operated by Gert Saimaan of South Africa. The operation has seen a number of challenges, including problems with firearm import permits, conflicts with a neighbouring NGO, trophy shipping glitches, delayed hunting licenses, and now what seems like a feud between the Neethlings and their Congolese partner.

Besides Flack's complaint (Hunt Report 10560) we also received a few days later a complaint from subscriber Art French and his wife Thelma (Hunt Report 10561). We encourage you to read them both, as they contain all the correspondence from all parties involved. You should also read the other subscriber hunt reports and past articles we have in our database on this hunting opportunity to get a complete picture of what has happened here.

It would appear as if the shareholders in the company holding the Congo Hunting Safaris/Congo Safaris (Congo Safaris) hunting concessions in northern Congo are at loggerheads with one another, and I would advise anyone thinking about hunting there to consider very carefully before booking a hunt with this company and, if they have already booked, of going there.

I arrived at Bonyo Camp, north of Pokola and south of Ndoki Du, a four-hour drive after crossing the Sangha River, which borders the little town of Ouessou, on Wednesday, 1 June 2016, with my guide, the urbane, calm and competent French and African PH, Christophe Beau, after a trying day in which my 38-year old Brno .375 was closely inspected seven times and the details of my passport, visa and Congolese firearms permit were laboriously handwritten on various sheets of scrap paper almost each time.

It was a relief to arrive at Erik Stockenstroom's well built, original camp. I had booked a safari with him many years ago, but it had been cancelled after the Congolese government summarily cancelled his bongo quota and he, in turn, was kidnapped, assaulted, tied to a tree in the rainforest and left to die, while his young, female South African camp cook was repeatedly raped in his absence. I hoped that, in the interim, things had improved since then, but you can judge for yourself.

Things were not well in the camp and the following allegations were made by the South African camp manager and the three South African professional hunters in camp:

The majority shareholder (70%), Tielman Neethling (TL), a successful and well respected Namibian cattle farmer, game rancher and butchery chain owner had invested approximately R15 million ($1 million) in Congo Safaris over the previous three years.

The minority shareholder (30%), a bible toting and quoting Congolese businessman, Edgar Ewany Opani (EEP), who currently lived outside Pretoria on a luxury golf estate, was seeking to take over the company for his own account and had misappropriated between R3 million ($200 000) and R6 million ($400 000) provided by TL.

This included, for example, R500 000 ($33 500) transferred directly to EEP by TL to allow him to pay the customs duty owing on five new Nissan Patrol vehicles and a 40-foot shipping container with four aluminium boats and engines, plus building materials bought by TL and sent to the Congo for use by Congo Safaris, which he had failed to pay resulting in these assets of the company languishing at Point Noire, the Congolese port on the Atlantic, for over eight months always assuming they were still there.

Staff appointed by EEP had similarly misappropriated funds and, for example, charged the company four times the amount payable to the government for the work permits for the four South Africans.

The South African staff at Bonyo camp had been threatened by EEP, both verbally and in writing, that unless they left the camp on the day we arrived, they would be arrested and jailed.

A new camp manager, the controversial Andre van Deventer (who had previously run the camp), was due to take over the management and PHing duties on Monday, 6 June. Mr Van Deventer is a member of an even more controversial family apart from working for a number of controversial bosses in the past and his name has been associated with rhino poaching on more than one occasion.

More importantly, from my point of view, was the following:
My hunting license was not in camp, and I could not hunt legally without it.

The only vehicle in camp was an old, hopelessly unroadworthy Toyota HiLux, which literally had no brakes at all, no lights, no 4x4 capacity, no winch and no mud tires. The latter three characteristics were essential for travel in the wet, muddy rainforest and the absence of the former two, made the driver liable to arrest and incarceration unless a hefty bribe was paid.

Christophe Beau, while acting as my guide, did not have a Congolese work permit and my designated professional hunter was one of the four South Africans who, as I soon discovered, was about to leave the country in two days' time.

On the advice of Christophe Beau and, according to my own evaluation of the situation, there appeared no alternative but to leave camp when the South Africans did and so began a very long and difficult journey back to the capital, Brazzaville, over the next two days.

First, a four-hour car trip from camp to the Sangha River in the unroadworthy vehicle described above on dirt roads soaked and muddy after a thunderous downpour the day before, the likes of which none of us had ever experienced.

Then, a motorised pirogue over the river and a night in a local, cockroach infested hotel in Ouessou while we tried to hire a car and driver to take us to Brazzaville, as the next of the twice-weekly flights from Ouessou to Brazzaville was in three days' time. Incidentally, the actual cost of the hire turned out to be less than half that quoted by Steve, the EEP appointed Congo Safaris staff member in Oessou.

We were told by him that the 840-kilometre trip was over a good, tarred road, subject to about six spot checks and would take no more than 10 to 12 hours.

After being stopped at 21 extortion points - as we came closer to Brazzaville, the armed and drunk police/gendarmes/army personnel dispensed with all formalities and simply demanded, "Give money!" loudly, frequently and while waving around their firearms in a very threatening manner - we arrived at our hotel at 02h00 after a 15-hour trip. The 13th stop at 22h10 was the longest as an army captain made us unpack every item in every suitcase in the road and took nearly 1½ hours to slowly and painstakingly search them, including examining every photo on our cameras, the inside of my camera lenses and medical kit (including the container with effervescent tablets), not to mention my rifle and ammunition.

Entering the country, despite presenting a valid passport and visa to the immigration officials, I was required to produce, "The other paper," a regular request as I was to learn. In this case, he eventually asked for the written invitation issued by the government to visit the country, a copy of which has to accompany every visa application and which is then retained by the embassy issuing the visa. Fortunately, the meet-and-greet man from Congo Safaris drove to their offices in Brazzaville and fetched a duplicate original while we were forced to wait for over an hour for his return and eventually reached our hotel after 01h00.

On my internal domestic flight from Brazzaville to Ouessou en route to Bonyo Camp, I was obliged to produce my passport and visa and Congolese firearms permit yet again. However, the customs official - yes, in the domestic airport - would not accept the permit and insisted I produce, "The other paper". Eventually, he asked for the original invoice for my rifle as neither my South African firearms licence nor my South African temporary import/export permit would do. In desperation, the Congo Safaris meet-and-greet staff member called the police and the stupidly incompetent and grossly corrupt buffoon accepted as a face saving measure that, if I registered my rifle and ammunition with the police, that would suffice. Barely an hour later there was an action replay on the banks of the Sangha River outside Ouessou, except this time all my luggage was rummaged through by the grubby fingers of three customs officials lazing under a tree on the banks of the river.

Our exit from the country was even worse and the corrupt Kenya Airlines manager at Maya Maya International Airport refused to load my rifle and ammunition on my return flight despite having been advised in writing four days previously to do so by Kenya Airlines who had transported me, my rifle and ammunition from Johannesburg to Brazzaville a few days earlier.

Finally, I would like to make two last points. Firstly, we were deliberately singled out for this treatment. Other vehicles, the same or similar to ours, were usually waved through the various extortion points but, as soon as they saw our white faces, the chef de poste would be eagerly summoned, and we were surrounded by the rest of the police/army/gendarme personnel and the ritual shake-down would begin. Secondly, ever since President Obama indicated that the recent presidential elections in the Congo were neither free nor fair, which they manifestly were not, Americans and, by implication, all English-speaking whites, appeared to be singled out for this aggressive and corrupt treatment.

I am an African. I have been the CEO of a gold mining group quoted on the London Stock Exchange with subsidiaries in nine African countries and have hunted in a further 19. I am not a novice to African travel with or without firearms and have long since had their golden rules etched onto my internal hard drive, but I have never remotely come across such shameless, blatant, pervasive and voracious corruption, dishonesty and incompetence in my life, accompanied by such clear and unequivocal threats should you not comply, and it seems to me that this is the very essence of what passes for Congolese culture. I will never, ever go there again.

Lastly, I have a suggestion. If the breath of many of these dangerously drunk, armed men at the various extortion points could be bottled, there would be a ready market for it as a paint stripper or for use as a thermal lance to melt metal.

What a nightmare. Sounds like a Zahir Mulla run operation

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Glad for the brutally honest and truthful report from one (Peter Flack) highly respected in the hunting world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exciting amd appreciated report by Peter Flack. Good that he and Mike managed to come back in one piece.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote