Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on safari dates
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy to all. I have a buffalo and plains game safari scheduled for September 20th to 30th in the Matetsi area of Zimbabwe. I'd like to ask for opinions on this late season schedule. Thanks.

Posts: 17 | Location: North Florida | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul,
I havent hunted Matetsi for many years now, but late september throughout Zim is a great time to hunt in my opinion, especially for buff...waterholes are drying up, food is getting harder to find and from about August the buff usually start forming bigger herds. You may not be looking to shoot a herd bull, but its really exciting to stalk and scope out a herd to see if there are any old dagga boys that have joined up for some lady buffalo companionship. They usually hang out at the back of the herds so this quite often involves stalking up ahead of the herd and watching them all walk by as the anticipation builds in expectation for that big shaggy 46 incher at the back!

Who are you hunting with and which Matetsi area specifically?

Andy

Live to Fish, Hunt to Live

Posts: 44 | Location: Uganda | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are a bit late. It will be hotter than hades in matetsi then. Also much of that area has been taken over by the squatters and is heavily poached. there's still some big cats there but the quotas are closed, and if and when they open again it'll be very costly to go lion hunting there. I believe you are going to probably be limited to HHK in that area anymore. there's some other small areas open with other outfitters, but they will be small areas. june july are better months

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Smith:
Howdy to all. I have a buffalo and plains game safari scheduled for September 20th to 30th in the Matetsi area of Zimbabwe. I'd like to ask for opinions on this late season schedule. Thanks.

Essentially in the greter Souther Africa hunting regional areas of say Northern SA Zim's & Zambia the RULE of thumb is their hunting seasons are from May through September WITH June July August being optimum and the most popular months to hunt //

Late September generally speaking in the northern Zim's area can be 'very dry barren and HOT HOT HOT, it does sometimes vary per season so whatever I tell you some bright spark will contradict me, I just give you the norm

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you like HOT!!!!!!!

I hunted Northern Zim in late October and it was well over 100 degrees each day (not much cooler at night). The hunting is good that time of year, but be prepared to sweat.

I hunted the same area a couple of years later but in early August. It was warm then, but nothing like late October. I'm sure September won't be as bad as October, but don't worry about packing a jacket.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As usual, Peter has it exactly right...... I'd suggest you make sure you drink plenty of water BEFORE you get thirsty and take lots of rehydration powders with you....... if you run out - drink coke. (if you can get any lol )

Good luck on your hunt.......

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys.

Posts: 17 | Location: North Florida | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote