Tools

ZIM-Jumbo kills Mwenzi man
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jumbo kills Mwenezi man

Sunday Mail Reporter
April 18, 2010

A MWENEZI farmer was last week trampled to death by an elephant after he tried to scare off a herd of jumbos that was feeding on his vegetable garden in Mavanga village.

Masvingo province’s acting police spokesperson, Assistant Inspector Prosper Mugauri, confirmed the tragedy, saying his unit had alerted the Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to take immediate action against the marauding elephants.
“I can confirm that Raphause Marashe (27) died on April 12 after he was trampled to death by an elephant at his homestead,” said Assistant Inspector Mugauri.
He said at around 7pm on the fateful day, Marashe saw a herd of elephants feasting on his vegetable garden and started clanging a metal tin to scare away the gigantic mammals.
“Marashe managed to drive the elephants for a distance of about 20 metres. However, one of the mammals charged at the farmer who tried in vain to escape.
“He tried to escape by jumping a man-made fence but failed and the elephant used its trunk to grab him.
“The animal threw him to the ground and trampled on him until he died,” said Assistant Inspector Mugauri.
Neighbours who heard Marashe screaming for help tried to assist but the other group of elephants became menacing and advanced towards the group of rescuers.
Assistant Inspector Mugauri urged members of the public to desist from provoking wild animals as they risked being killed or maimed.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first read that my brain saw Jim Zumbo kills man......

Wow dyslexia fun can be! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me see. Kathi has brought us up to date with one more news item from the "bush". Oh,wait a minute! This time it's a farmer getting stomped. I do wish that all those elephant "documentaries" I see here in the States (with their serious faced "elephant experts" looking into the camera after showing a scene of such cutesy looking little elephants and telling us that elephant hunting is similar to a serial killer being on the loose -would,at least, be balanced by stories like this)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Me too!

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
quote:

Me too!

Me three!!

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Every time a Zimbabwe elephant kills someone, Jim Zumbo takes the heat!
Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like another PAC hunt is ready to be sold.

RIP to the farmer.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
quote:

Me too!

Me three!!

Add me to the list homer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
There is another side to stories like this.

There have been a number of "farmers' attacked injured and even killed by wild animals. Jumbo are the main culprits. However, what is never revealed is that in many cases, the 'farmer" is in fact a land invader who has settled on or in a wildlife area. They plant crops ,which are irresistable to wildlife. Clearly this can only lead to conflict and ultimately in loss of life both for Humans and wildlife.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimFrosty:
There is another side to stories like this.

There have been a number of "farmers' attacked injured and even killed by wild animals. Jumbo are the main culprits. However, what is never revealed is that in many cases, the 'farmer" is in fact a land invader who has settled on or in a wildlife area. They plant crops ,which are irresistable to wildlife. Clearly this can only lead to conflict and ultimately in loss of life both for Humans and wildlife.

This sounds more plausible.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"..a land invader who has settled in a wild life area"? And this is an excuse for mzou to kill him? I see it as an explanation of why elephants are being pushed by the demands of increasing population -but, lifelong hunter as I was, I still value human lives above any other animal's. If farming is being done - that is the occupation of a civilized man -and any elephant that interferes with it should be dispatched forthwith (in the grand old English terminology) Elephants impressed the heck out of me when I saw them in Zimbabwe and I wasn't particularly interested in trying to shoot one -but I sure would have shot at any elephant attacking a human being (except a poacher)Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
"..a land invader who has settled in a wild life area"? And this is an excuse for mzou to kill him? I see it as an explanation of why elephants are being pushed by the demands of increasing population -but, lifelong hunter as I was, I still value human lives above any other animal's. If farming is being done - that is the occupation of a civilized man -and any elephant that interferes with it should be dispatched forthwith (in the grand old English terminology) Elephants impressed the heck out of me when I saw them in Zimbabwe and I wasn't particularly interested in trying to shoot one -but I sure would have shot at any elephant attacking a human being (except a poacher)Smiler

I totally agree with you on the issue of human life. However lets put this in context. If a whole group of people illegally invaded Yellowstone, and one of them was eaten by a grizzly, who is at fault. The human for placing himself there illegally, or the bear for protecting HIS natural territory. I made mention of the fact that there was another side to stories like this simply to illustrate the fact that the animals may not be totally to blame for such tragedies. If you are a lifelong hunter, I guess you would understand that animals dont need an excuse to react to a perceived threat. However humans understand consequences and have the power of reasoning.
At no stage did I say that the Farmer deserved his fate, nor did I say that the Elephant was justified in killing the man. I simply said there was another aspect to be considered.

And by the way, an elephant is called an NZOU in shona, the language the man would almost certainly have spoken coming from this area.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Time to get some?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote