Find
Notify
Tools

Completely different DVD question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
OK - posted this here because I don't think it fits anywhere else IS about African Big Game Hunting and I know a lot of you are far smarter than me so will easily point me in the right direction.

On each safari I shoot video on different devices (video mode on camera, little hand-held video recorders as well as one I attached to my hat) which record in AVI, MPEG and MOV.

I converted them to one format and using Windows Movie maker I strung it all together to make a movie that I burned onto a DVD for personal consumption (believe me - ain't nothing to share but allows my father and I to relive our experiences).

The problem is that the sound is quite variable throughout the entire DVD as I am whispering in some segments and speaking normally (loudly) in others.

What kind of audio folk do I need to find who can normalize the sound throughout so that I am not going from straining ears to bleeding ones?

I have a few programs on my computer that are supposed to do that but I am obviously a buffoon and can't fix the problem.

So

What kind of folk do this sort of thing? I am in New jersey and assume there are the right folk here or in NYC.

Thanks for any direction!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Paul,

What editing software are you using to produce your movie? I don't know if you can fix it after it has been transcoded and burned to DVD. Within the editing software, you should be able to work individually with audio and video. Within the audio track, you can grab the volume and adjust it up or down. To address different sound levels within the same clip, such as wind noise and whispering and maybe a gunshot, for example, you can add markers prior to and after the sound within the segment you want to adjust and move the volume level up or down as necessary, thereby only affecting the portion of the audio desired.

Very hard to explain on a forum reply. I would identify the editing software you are using, then google it to see if there is a tutorial available. You might try www.lynda.com. They have a monthly subscription for about $35/month that will allow you to log on and receive instruction, or brush up on training, at will on a variety of software including things like Excel, Power Point, Premier Pro CS5, Adobe, etc. You can also purchase individual training sessions if they have your specific software.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd,

Actually it wasn't the DVD i was interested in fixing - I have all of the original clips in their original formats as well as converted to MPEG form so those could be manipulated.

I'll look into the link you provided to see if I can learn anything new.

The software I have and am obviously inept with includes Xmedia, Avidemux and Audacity. I should be able to do what I want with any one of them but I am clearly missing a step.

Thanks for the advice,

Paul

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I do my video editing with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. I find that it has the capability to easily modify and adjust audio, video, and image media formats. You can easily insert additional sound tracks and graphics as well.

Although it is not designed for beginners it is very easy to use. If I can figure it out I would think most anyone should be able to use it. It supports file formats of AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MOV and much more.

You should be able to easily import all of your files and create great video. All the trailer material on my YouTube channel has been edited with this software.

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Shawn - I'll look into that as well.

Stay well,
Paul

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
ccm doc - the audio will be in channels that the right program will allow you to tweak individually , look into your editing software under help and type in audio and it should come up as a seperate heading if this is a function that your software supports

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this might be what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWStZMWAJA

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Ivan

Thanks for the suggestion - I will have to use one of the on-line translators since the audio software I have is in languages other than English.

BTW - Beasts was excellent and I've been enjoying Tracks as well.

bobby7321 - that's perfect! I am watching it on the smart phone but when I get home tonight I will be applying it to the Movie Maker files!

The folk on AR are truly awesome!

Thank you all!!! beer

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
OK - posted this here because I don't think it fits anywhere else IS about African Big Game Hunting and I know a lot of you are far smarter than me so will easily point me in the right direction.

On each safari I shoot video on different devices (video mode on camera, little hand-held video recorders as well as one I attached to my hat) which record in AVI, MPEG and MOV.

I converted them to one format and using Windows Movie maker I strung it all together to make a movie that I burned onto a DVD for personal consumption (believe me - ain't nothing to share but allows my father and I to relive our experiences).

The problem is that the sound is quite variable throughout the entire DVD as I am whispering in some segments and speaking normally (loudly) in others.

What kind of audio folk do I need to find who can normalize the sound throughout so that I am not going from straining ears to bleeding ones?

I have a few programs on my computer that are supposed to do that but I am obviously a buffoon and can't fix the problem.

So

What kind of folk do this sort of thing? I am in New jersey and assume there are the right folk here or in NYC.

I feel your pain Doc, I'm lost as well in that area! I have a pile of editing equipment but unfortunately it is all designed for VHS tape, and useless for digital work. If that weren’t the case I would be happy to ship it to you to do your film!

I did a lot of hunting and shooting film with the stuff back a few years but I fear it is museum bound today!

I have about 1000 hours of VHS hunting video, and so have one old VHS recorder/player, and an old analog TV to play this collection. Hope you get it down, good luck.

………………………………………………………………… Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac,

I remember when the recording studio I played in went from 4 to 8 to 16 tracks. I was thinking how easy this would be if it were tape and I had access to that equipment.

Probably MUCH easier to do digitally - I just need some 12 year old kid to grab it from me and say

"You just need to do this, that and this other thing and ..."

5 minutes later, it's done

LOL

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

So

I feel your pain Doc, I'm lost as well in that area! I have a pile of editing equipment but unfortunately it is all designed for VHS tape, and useless for digital work. If that weren’t the case I would be happy to ship it to you to do your film!

I did a lot of hunting and shooting film with the stuff back a few years but I fear it is museum bound today!

I have about 1000 hours of VHS hunting video, and so have one old VHS recorder/player, and an old analog TV to play this collection. Hope you get it down, good luck.

Sounds like Fred Flinstone is not going to be out of place next to you clap

Seriously though, did you get a copy of our hunt of last year?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

So

Sounds like Fred Flinstone is not going to be out of place next to you clap

Seriously though, did you get a copy of our hunt of last year?

Heck Saeed Fred is my younger nephew just a 20 years younger than me!

No I didn't get a copy of the last year! did you guys leave anything worth shooting for the next generation.
................................... jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I don't think it's your equipment....I think it's more your squealing like a little girl when the Elephant charges that is hard to moderate!!!! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Doc, I don't think it's your equipment....I think it's more your squealing like a little girl when the Elephant charges that is hard to moderate!!!! :-)

And your point is ...???

Maybe that's the part I want to enhance ...

particularly since that was Karl who was crying like a little girl ...