New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe hunt questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am hunting with Zambezi Hunters in August, and taking my wife to Africa forth first time. We will be in Zimbabwe for a month, starting at Vic Falls, and ending in the Arda camp for the hunting safari...(excited I am)
-questions for you pros out there;
My wife is a little concerned about shots/Meds... What is necessary and what do you recommend?
What type of weather/clothes for an August adventure?
Lastly, what is the one piece of advice you would give to me, and what piece of advice would your wife give to my wife, as far as that "little extra special tip"
I am grateful for this forum, and any advice that you are willing to share with us

D

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to travel to Zim in August as well. Just went through my shots - typhoid, hepatitis A and hepatitis B. (The hep shots should have been started already). For malaria, I'm taking atovaquone which is started the day before the trip and taken up until the week after returning.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get ready for the time of her life. She should be amazed by the service and the sights, sounds, and the scenery. My wife doesn't hunt, but she enjoyed riding around and watching me shoot stuff.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife & I were in Zambezi Hunters Sango camp back in the first of Sept.
Cool nights, warm days.
Next year going to Arda in late July.
Go to Zambezi Hunters website, then General Info, then Before Departure, then Download Our Recommended Checklist, print it off for both of you.
I advise the hepatitis shots, you're a little late for this trip, but you can go ahead & start the first series.
We used Malarone for our anti-malarial with no side effects.
Make sure you visit you M.D. & get some hydrocodone for pain incase of something serious going wrong, plus some kind of strong antibiotic, hopefully not needed, but you never know.
Who's your P.H. & what are you hunting?
Tell your wife to take plenty of things to read if she will be staying in camp while you hunt.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most important thing is to remember that you are embarking on an adventure. Do not expect that everything will be perfect,after all efficiency is not an African word, rather just relax, take things as they come and drink in everything. Take Africa, and Zim, for what it is. Take time to talk to the people, look at the birds, listen to the doves in the morning and the hyneas at night. Hunting is only a part of it, don't be so focused on hunting that you miss the rest of it.
Have a wonderful time.
PS keep a journal, you will be surprised at how often you will go back and read it.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For medical concerns I recommend a travel clinic. If you are in a large city or near a good hospital you should be able to find one.
Odd things can occur. I returned home one year with some strange tick embedded in the back of my knee. I called the University of Washington travel clinic, which is about three miles away. My moment of fame is probably being a pic in some journal article, as one of the docs came to my house to photograph my tick. Your regular family practice doc is not going to have a clue, and some African stuff is tough to diagnose.

AND HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've been there with my wife.

The camp is above a pool. It can get downright cold there at night. They have water bottles, but it is nice to have some warm clothes to sleep in.

Betsy says there's no hair dryer there and not much light in the bathrooms. A battery powered light might help with makeup application and that kind of stuff, according to Betsy.

There is an inverter and 220v power available. Betsy planned mid day showers so she could dry her hair at the lapa.

The trails from the tents to the lapa are dirt paths, and are not very well lit. An extra flashlight for the misses would be a good idea.

Malerone for malaria prevention and a tetanus booster when needed is all we ever take unless we are headed into Yellow Fever country.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
If there any bums , remember its Africa. What are you going to do walk home? My wife and I look at one another and chuckle.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the flashlights, one for each of you and extra batteries! Also, the journal is important. You will go back and relive the experience through it and will read things you have forgotten. It takes you back again to the sounds, smells and sights. I have taken silk long underwear tops and bottoms-warm to sleep in and very light weight/not bulky to pack. Cold nights-yes. Have something to put on your head while sleeping, even if its one of their towels-keeps in the body heat! Have fun!

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great responses thus far!!
So....we are Canadians from Alberta, but we live in Puerto Vallarta...not much chance of a travel clinic doctor....do I just ask a doc for Hep shots? What do you mean it's too late? Should we still get them, or not?
How cold does it get at night?
I'm taking notesSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hepatitous shots are a series of 3 shots taken over a serveral month period.
You could probably get your 1st & 2nd shot before you leave.
I'm not sure about Mexico, but we got ours through our M.D.
When we were in Sango in early Sept. it would get down in the 50's at night & into the upper 80's during the day.
Who is your P.H. & what are you hunting?
By the way, WELCOME TO AR!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rabies
Tetanus
Yellow Fever (in case you end up wanting to transit through Nairobi)
Hep A and B

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
Rabies
Tetanus
Hep A and B

So you have to have a yellow fever shot just to transit through the airport?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Di and me have spent several days in arda. it's a fun fun place. you just need your normal shots and malaria stuff. In case of need triangle is just a few miles away. If she is looking for some unique souvenirs , go the the leather tannery shop. The country club there has good food and drink. While it is a tent camp, the floors are concrete and facilities are all there. If davidson is still cooking there you will need to gain some weight. and if gaskets is still there, you have to hear the story of how he got his name

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat out of my depth here, but I believe that hepatitis prophylactic is simply gamma globulin -- in other words "blood building" to increase your resistance to infection. I was told by my doctor that gamma globulin is thick, viscous stuff and the amount recommended for an adult male is miserable to receive. That was a number of years ago and something may have changed. But if there is an actual hep vaccination I am unaware of it.

I can assure you that a "travel clinic" will shoot you full of things that you don't need and which will do you potentially more harm than good. Do a Google (or your other favorite privacy-invading service) websearch. Sort out the wheat from the chaff and you'll find what you really need. Although your family physician may not be an expert on which communicable diseases might be encountered in a particular section of a particular country, he can advise you as to the potential side effects of certain prophylaxis, so I would definately run anything recommended to you by him/her before commiting to it.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 22 May 2012 15:02 Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
Rabies
Tetanus
Hep A and B

quote:

Last time I transited I had to show proof of yellow fever vacc to buy ticket from UAE to Joburg with Kenya airways.

Call them to find out if that is the case but Yellow fever is rifle across most of east africa and the more tropical climates.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Both Hep A & Hep B are inactivated virus vaccines. They cause the body to build immunity to the virus. Immunoglobulin is human Globulin that contains antibodies against the virus. Effectiveness seems to be about the same but the globulin is for short term protection and/or is given post exposure.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a couple deflated soccer balls to give to kids at local schools. Take a pin so your PH can inflate. The reaction you will see is something you will never forget! We start looking for inexpensive tee shirts to pass out to staff and their families. One year we took about 25 pink visors that were left over from a fund raiser. Those things were showing up everywhere. Small tablets and pencils are great for the kids.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my PH will be Brendon (Butch) Coaten....does anyone know him? (i havent heard his name before)
-how is the food at Arda camp?
-do they prepare wild game?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my two trips there, the food has been good. Not the best I ever had but good.

They will often serve wild game. I remember chicken, beefs, prawns and fish as well.

I do not know Butch myself.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
In my two trips there, the food has been good. Not the best I ever had but good.

And bear in mind that Mr Shores is a very fussy eater...Only joking Larry Smiler

Butch Coaten is one of this country's most experienced and proficient PH's.

You are going to have a fantastic safari, you can count on that.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been to zim about 8 times and we have never taken any shots or any other meds; glenda enjoys the camp and the staff-she brings one of these portable video player, several dvd's and hosts movie night after dineer-staff seems to enjoy the movies. Suppose what I am saying is this: the place is little different from here in St. Thomas. so elax and enjoy the trip

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you are David. Obviously, if it was bad I would not have gone back several times (and going again in October).

There have been different cooks. One was Tommy & the other Mick as I recall.

Breakfast is what many would call normal. Eggs, bacon, toast, yogurt, fruit, etc.

Lunch may vary considerably depending on whether you would be coming back to camp or not. If not, it would be a variety of things that could be eaten cold. Sandwiches, fried chicken, pizza, etc.

Dinners are naturally the biggest meal. I am guessing 2/3's are game animals and 1/3 other. I have had prawns at least one night each of my 3 trips with ZH. There was a fish that was really good as well. Some of the game dishes are notable. My favorite (by far) is eland steak. I could eat that every night. I may have to shoot another just for food.

Some of the desserts are good. Pies and cakes in particular. Puddings as well.

I guess the acid test would be whether I lost weight over there. The answer is a resounding NO!

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote