THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    guns and bullets for eland in Namibia

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

guns and bullets for eland in Namibia
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to Namibia in August for plains game with eland being a priority. I am considering either a 30-06 with the 180 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws or .338 Winchester Magnum with 225 or 250 grain factory ammo.

I have enjoyed good success with the 30-06 and TB ammo on kudu in the past. Excellent penetration and bullet performance.

The .338 WM is obviously significantly more gun. Is it really needed? And if the .338 WM is chosen, are "premium" bullets needed or would a bullet like the Hornady Light Magnum be hard enough( the flatter trajectory is attractive)?

I can shoot the .338wm but am a better shot with 30-06.

I will take also take either a 30-06 or a .270 with premium bullets.

Thanks for your help.

Seeker

Posts: 22 | Location: chicago il | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are a better shot with the '06, load up some Barnes or Northforks or bear claws(your preference) and have at it.

Or practice more with the338 Wink

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO toughness of African PG is over rated! Any good factory loading in a 270 on up will kill any PG animal including the eland that walks in Africa provided you do your part an hit a vital.
In NA we have 75-85# antelopes, pronghorns. shoot them in a vital with a 223 and they die rather quickly. Shoot them in the guts or back farther with a 338 and they'll run a looooong way.
It boils down to taking ethical shots and doing your part not having an attitude that a "raking shot" with a large caliber is somehow ethical on African game . Wyn

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Namibia and shot all of my animals, including a Cape Eland, estimated to weigh around 1700 pounds, with a 30.06 using Barnes Triple Shocks. Recovered only two bullets but both were perfect mushrooms.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you need is a .22 and some good headshots!

Wink Not a lot of margin for error though.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a 338 fan, but nothing beats bullet placement.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
I agree that the 30-06 is suitable for the larger antelope.

But personally i wouldnt use anything less than 9.3 or the .375 on Eland.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the .338 hands down for Eland, they are twice the size of a moose in some cases, and can take a lot of killing on ocassion...I have shot Eland with both calibers, but if you can shoot the .338 then by all means take it, might save you a long drawn out followup.....

Certainly bullet placement is the most important factor, bullet construction is next, then caliber, but if you have all three taken care of, you in real good shape....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyn,
What is not ethical or objectionable about a raking shot if you have enough gun, it is certainly more ethical than shooting antelope and deer with a 222, 223 or 22-250...

Now don't get me wrong, I have done both in my life and under the right circumstance see nothing wrong with either...

When you shoot a Kudu, Eland, elk or whatever lengthwise WITH ENOUGH GUN the results are outstanding, it sticks there nose in the dirt dead on the spot, it destroys more tissue and parts than a broadside shot and death is very quick, with a broadside shot they may run up to a half mile in some cases,not so with a raking shot, and thats the whole point of ethical hunting IMO....

Were I to pass on raking shots on bull elk in the black timber of Idaho where I hunt, I assure you I would never tag my elk, as that is the only shot that's offered short of the parting of the Red Sea....

But that option is yours and I respect it...it's just not mine...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Ray, I agree with you on this one. Enough gun + a well constructed bullet + propper shot placement = meat on the table.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray & Mike: In truth I am an old deer hunter at heart, hard for me to justify blowing a bull elk up the butt thru the guts and out the throat with my 416, not because it won't kill him quickly but rather I am the one who is going to rolling up my sleeves to do the field dressing. Where I can I use my game meat moose, elk, caribou are my favorites. hard for me to push it past my nose knowing what I splattered all over that meat.
With that said I do not deny a "Texas Heart Shot" is deadly. But I've witnessed too many hunters open a body cavity ...blow their lunch on the ground... then bone out the loins letting the rest rot...to me that is unethical.
Ray as you said, to each their own, good hunting Wyn

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Seeker,

I can and do concur with what you are saying..A good shot does a heck of a lot better then a poor one...
The 338 is hands down a better cartridge..But you are paying the freight and it is your call..
Have a super time...Aim small miss small!!!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
The 338 is the better but more than a few Eland have fallen with the 30-06, use a premium bullet and shoot straight then both will work well

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've used a .300 Win. Mag. with premium 180s on several eland, and most of the time they either stood and wobbled for a few seconds, then fell over, or else ran fifty yards and fell over. I've never had a problem with bullet performance; either the bullet was found under the hide on the opposite side, or else it made exit. I haven't found any need for bigger, heavier bullets, although I've also used the .375 H&H with 300 gr. bullets on eland. It hasn't killed any better than the .300 Win.

One of my local friends took one of the biggest Livingston's eland I've ever seen with a single 180 gr. Hornady out of a .30-06. At the shot, this bull trotted a few yards, then went down for keeps. The bullet went through both lungs and was found under the hide. This eland hunting business isn't rocket science, and they don't require howitzers -- just good bullets and good bullet placement.

Take your pick, '06 or .338 Win. Mag., either one will serve well. Personally, with your choices I'd go .338............

AD

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I agree with wynwood! .270! I took my first Eland bull with a interarms .270 One shot - One kill! used Federal "factory" 150 grain bearclaws. I've taken all 3 of my Kudu with that same laod. As 7 Zebra and dozens more plains game.

Bottom line, "Shoot what your most comfortable with!" thumb

I have to add, I sure like shootong that 416 too!!!!! mgun

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote