New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Hunting and Public Policy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From Bookings Institute - its a democratic leaning public policy institute. Reputation as being a solid public policy think tank with a liberal leaning.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs...20089101US0001-07301

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well...they might be a think tank...but they don't have the research skills or brain power to ferret out the the truth before publishing as I barely got into it before I started to find blatant errors.

IE:
1)
quote:
Zimbabwe’s beloved lion Cecil.

I can find no one from Zim including the leader's of the Oxford team that have ever heard of the name "Cecil" as it applies to this lion.

2)
quote:
It is never legal to hunt a collared lion.

That statement is blatantly incorrect...in fact there was another lion killed earlier this year collared by the same team. It was in an area with lion on quota with a legit outfitter...no problem what so ever.

Got tired of reading the BS after that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Well...they might be a think tank...but they don't have the research skills or brain power to ferret out the the truth before publishing as I barely got into it before I started to find blatant errors.

IE:
1)
quote:

I can find no one from Zim including the leader's of the Oxford team that have ever heard of the name "Cecil" as it applies to this lion.

2)
quote:

That statement is blatantly incorrect...in fact there was another lion killed earlier this year collared by the same team. It was in an area with lion on quota with a legit outfitter...no problem what so ever.

You should read the whole thing cause even if hunters may not agree with everything and some facts are wrong the main thesis is hunting should be looked in a cost benefit framework

Much easier to argue hunting in a cost benefit framework that on pictures of people cutting dead elephant tails and posing with dead bloody lions.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always said that when we give an animal a name, the dynamic changes. It's one thing if his "name" is generic, like "the big guy", it's another if his name is Fred.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

IE:
1)
quote:

2)
quote:

You should read the whole thing cause even if hunters may not agree with everything and some facts are wrong the main thesis is hunting should be looked in a cost benefit framework

Much easier to argue hunting in a cost benefit framework that on pictures of people cutting dead elephant tails and posing with dead bloody lions.

Mike

Agreed...but I have been arguing lion hunting with a cost benefit analysis since early 2010 and have pitched it some very high up government officials and the scientific community.

Most of the pragmatic research scientist get that.

John Q. Public never does.

And, the government officials just pat me on the back and say yes, the facts are on your side...BUT...for every dollar hunters spend to further their cause with us...the anti's spend $10K.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

IE:
1)
quote:

2)
quote:

Mike

Agreed...but I have been arguing lion hunting with a cost benefit analysis since early 2010 and have pitched it some very high up government officials and the scientific community.

Most of the pragmatic research scientist get that.

John Q. Public never does.

And, the government officials just pat me on the back and say yes, the facts are on your side...BUT...for every dollar hunters spend to further their cause with us...the anti's spend $10K.

After cecil you think the public ever gets it ?

I still think the best path is based in science and economics and cost benefit analysis. The public relations side is long lost. Disney lion king destroyed that side a long time back.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least this article is looking at certain facts and their is some rationale and thoughtful discussion. Of Course, they have a lot of facts wrong and I always worry about anything that is left leaning...but they are not being emotional, maybe a little PC..but at this stage of the game, I am just happy they are at least doing some thinking.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote