Notify
Tools

Re: What does a warthog look like
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Trapdoor,

Who knows if/when you will get back. I'd take what ever warthog the PH directed me towards. The trophy fees on warthogs aren't too much and you can just get the skull boiled and wait for a bigger one for a mount. Don't miss out. They are a neat animal and very good eating.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
A warthog with 6 or 7 inch tusks is either an immature animal or an old one whose tusks have worn down. IMO a nice warthog will be one with 6 to 10 inches or more showing. Keep in mind that there will be several inches of tusk inside the jaw, and that length in included in the overall measurement.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
This one went 14" on both sides. I don't remember how wide the lip area is, but I'd say that - as a rule of thumb - you can double the visible length of the tusk.

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Ok, here's a warthog with 6" +/- tusks that I shot this past June in RSA.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
As I recall, my dad's (see below) measured 8.5"X9" (or 9"X9.5). From what our PH said, he was pretty good for the rocky/sandy part of Namibia in which we hunted.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Quote:

This one went 14" on both sides. I don't remember how wide the lip area is, but I'd say that - as a rule of thumb - you can double the visible length of the tusk.

I think your rule of thumb is overly generous. I've only shot 1 Warthog to date, and that one went 11 inches per side. There was less than 2 inches of tusk inside the jaw. My P.H. said that usually you can count on around 3 inches.

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
My warthog is pretty decent; it measured 11 3/4" on his right side and 11 1/2" on his left. His SCI score was 31 7/8.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out my web page, I have one on there that,s 17 plus a tad on both sides...or find a picture of Walter Hogg, one can be had from Saeed on request!

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Wow, Ray!

That's one GONZO Pig!

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I think your rule of thumb is overly generous. I've only shot 1 Warthog to date, and that one went 11 inches per side. There was less than 2 inches of tusk inside the jaw. My P.H. said that usually you can count on around 3 inches.

mikeh416Rigby - you know... as i'm looking at his bleached skull and removing his teeth - you're right - I didn't state that as i meant or should have... double is a bit misleading.

Allow me to restate: Looking at these teeth in particular, there is as much tooth hidden by the lip & inside the socket as there is exposed... IF you're looking at the inside (short side) of the curve.

for whatever that's worth!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Admit it. How many of you guys thought "Mother-in-law" when you first read the title of the post?

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post

This is an older warthog with good mass/thickness that my son recently took. It's right tusk measures 12.5 inches, it's left tusk slightly less than 12 inches. Old is good. Quite often you will encounter older ones that have a worn off or broken tusk on one side, as they used one tusk moreso than another when they root/dig. I made the mistake of passing on such a trophy that was at least 14" on one side and broken on the other.

Warthogs don't seem to vary much in body size. The older ones get smaller as their body mass declines with age.I've never weighed a warthog, but I doubt if they ever go over 200 pounds, probably 150 more like it.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
American Wart Hog

Small breasts, two left wings, fat ass:

TheAfrican Warthogs depicted above complained bitterly about sharing a thread with the American Warthog picture that I had posted. I'm Very Sorry.

This warthog's face has obviously stopped a hundred clocks.

It did stop a train once, but not before impact.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you take an old, ugly sow.. battle scarrred and diseased.....

well, i can post a pic of my mother in law....
jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the photos and desciprtions... they sure do help. And there are certainly some wonderful animals!

Now I can make an informed descision!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Warthog, my foot. Come clean Ray, you blew off his trunk with the first few shots!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Good one Nickudu! I don't think I've ever seen another like it. Does anybody have a photo of a larger warthog?

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nowhere close as large as Ray's but here's mine from Namibia. Learned yesterday the critters have arrived and are ready to go to the taxidermist. Not bad for a late July trip. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a warthog too:

But it got away wounded:

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did they have to pay the trophy fee anyway for letting it get away wounded?

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I bet that if the pilot had a small piece of coal in his ass when that happened, he made a diamond.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
heres one that went 6-7" and good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor,

As my PH stated during my last safari: "a pig is a pig, if it's a big one you're just lucky!". So my .02 are : shoot any pig you can, they are too fun to hunt and too good to eat (specially in the 5-10 kg range) to pass on them . You will have good looking ivory on your wall above 10 inches. BTW, I don't like warthog shoulder mounts : you will find that the two pairs of tusks on a wood shield are very nice, and inexpensive . I have trophies ranging from 3 (sows) to 12 inches, and an even smaller one around my neck (kind of prehistoric jewelry), and I like them all!

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gdupuis
posted Hide Post
Small-tusked, and non-comestible warthog:

Posts: 91 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Holly shot this Namibian kudu and warthog in the same morning. The warthog didn't have great ivory but live weight was over 200 pounds. It was the biggest and heaviest bodied warthog our PH, Dirk de Bod, had ever seen. Too bad we didn't take a better picture of it.

This was a huge old warthog that Holly shot in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Very thick and heavily broomed tusks.

I shot this warthog in Pilanesberg National Park in South Africa. It measured a very symetrical 12" on both sides.

I shot this old boar in the Limpopo Province between Ellisras (sp?) and Vaalwater. He was heavily broomed but still measured 13" on both sides.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mark and Holly but I like gdupuis the best!

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike416Rigby,
A 6 inch warthog in some parts of South Africa like the Eastern Cape or one in Tanzania is not an immature animal. He would be mature..The terrain in which they feed is critical to tusk size, if they are rooting in rocky ground then a 6 or 7 inch hog is a real trophy...In the sandy loam of the Transvall or RSA or in parts of Zimbabwe they get mighty big in that soft stuff. Also the gene pool in a certain area may differ as well as the food source, all these things apply to the size of animals in any give area, all hogs are not created equal according to Atkinsons constitution..

A good trophy can only be compared to the are in which it was taken and thats one of the fallacies of trophy hunting...A wild deer in some parts of South Texas that scores 145 is one big deer, in other parts it takes 200 plus to even get someones attention, same with most African species..

Just a heads up as I see a lot of this kind of descrimination everywhere and it shouldn't be...A trophy should be compared to the other taken in that specific area.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hell, I guess I've got to jump into this one too! I enjoy hunting warthog and you never know where you will find a good one. I shot this one in the Zambezi Valley right on the Mozambique border. I didn't know who should be carrying the nonresident alien card, him or me! He measured 13" on the longer tusk and 12 3/4" on the working tusk.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote