New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant tusk weight calculation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tried to search for this formula on the web, here, and asked at Letaba elephant museum. Letaba formula was clearly wrong, even looking at the Magnificent Seven. I believe it is lip circumference in inches times length in feet with a correction factor but does somebody have an accurate one? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LR3- We use as you mentioned circumference in inches x feet sticking out less 10% for the nerve. This works relatively well on Zambezi Valley bulls but certainly does not work as well for Wankie bulls where they are thicker but shorter.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The main variable with this formula that I have experienced on the ground with PHs assessing a live animal centres around their inexperience in gauging size by a twelve inch foot. Considering the limitations of some Phs who are more used to everyday measurements of a few inches perhaps it would be more logical to use the formula of circumference at the lip in inches x multiples of four inches sticking out less 10% for the nerve ?
Just a thought !

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R.Jolly:
The main variable with this formula that I have experienced on the ground with PHs assessing a live animal centres around their inexperience in gauging size by a twelve inch foot. Considering the limitations of some Phs who are more used to everyday measurements of a few inches perhaps it would be more logical to use the formula of circumference at the lip in inches x multiples of four inches sticking out less 10% for the nerve ?
Just a thought !

Many PH's will be more familiar with a 6" measurement, so multiples of that will work better for them.

I do not know what length in inches female PH's will be most familiar with! Big Grin

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not know what length in inches female PH's will be most familiar with!

I think they use inches & cups!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope that no one is going to be so indelicate as to enquire as to what form of research Andrew has undertaken to formulate his measurement theory.
In my own defence, I was just going off rumour Eeker

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rob, undoubtedly part of the confusion arises from the use of the metric system in countries like Zim. My impression is that many times while these measurements are spoken of by the PH in inches, in reality the relative measure is actually centimeters.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Some seem to confuse inches and centimetres. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lesee - x times y plus z subtract ab add q flock it shoot shoot

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Andrew, but I suspect many female PH's may claim to be painfully more accurate when it comes to estimating inches.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buzz and also to those of you had the humorous insights. Reminds me of the story of the fellow in NYC who looks over at the guy next to him having a pee and says " I also have W Y tattooed on my penis for my girlfriend Wendy is yours also Wendy? "No" the other guy says " it's Welcome to Jamaica and have a nice daY"! At least with tusks there s not as much variability based on geography it seems.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I just went over and measured my tusks. I will assume the dark ring is the lip position. The circumference measure there is 15". The length from that point to tip is exactly 2 ft. The actual weight of the tusk as stamped by Zimbabwe Fish and Game is 20.20 kgs.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have to be PH's, it's females in general that don't have a clue.

Woman dr that gutted me showed me by hand estimation how much infected gut she'd left in me. "4-8" Months later when another dr took the rest out he said: "I cut out right at TWO FEET".
Talk about No Clue!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
If it's big , it is big
At least that's what she said....

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote