New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hacking at SCI Convention?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just heard from an acquaintance who was at the SCI Convention. He told me that a photo of him with an animal from his safari last year showed up on Facebook. He has no Facebook account, and has never seen that photo before. The only source he can think of would be that the photo was hacked from a computer belonging to his PH, who was at the convention with the computer. We know that HSUS was there as well. For those of you more computer literate than him and I, can a Wi-Fi be used to hack something off a computer that was in use? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The PH's computer could have been hacked.(doubtful) More likely the PH sent it to friends or family and it was leaked from there. Or if the PH posted it on his website it could be copied from there.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Maybe hacked from an Instagram account if the PH has one?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the wifi they were on was badly secured or so. Or if the network was open also.. There has been several security warnings regarding open network and areas where many is gathering ,ie airports etc . A lot of the postings from hunt reports hhere is on fb now and meaning of them taken wåaaaay out of context.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it ain't that hard to right click on a picture and then click on copy.
move it somewhere else and right click and click on paste.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
I just heard from an acquaintance who was at the SCI Convention. He told me that a photo of him with an animal from his safari last year showed up on Facebook. He has no Facebook account, and has never seen that photo before. The only source he can think of would be that the photo was hacked from a computer belonging to his PH, who was at the convention with the computer. We know that HSUS was there as well. For those of you more computer literate than him and I, can a Wi-Fi be used to hack something off a computer that was in use? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Hi Tim

Yes is the answer to your question. any wi-fi connection at a motel/hotel can be hacked and rerouted. Meaning all your information on your computer is available to the hacker, and you let them in when you connected up to the local hot spot.

Before I retired (2011), we were not to use any hot spots for connection with your computer.

Even today i do not use free/available wi-fi for my computer, i-phone, i-pad or android.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1628 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep hundreds of photos and documents on my laptop, but absolutely never connect it to any wifi. If I take it on a trip, which I seldom do, I remove critical things and store them on either a thumb drive or an auxilliary hard drive. Of course I grew up in an age where telephones were not as smart as I am, and people did not have an Iphone in their hands 24/7.

What totally amazes me is how much stuff people put on "social media" sites like twitter and facebook, and then wonder why it shows up elsewhere.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never carry any work on my laptop.

And despite that fact, I always use a VPN to connect to the Internet whenever I am at a public place.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I never carry any work on my laptop.

And despite that fact, I always use a VPN to connect to the Internet whenever I am at a public place.

Saeed, very good on your laptop.

I pay the extra for hi speed internet that my devices use so that i do not need to hook up to free or localized wi-fi.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1628 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote