THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    I found a piece of Africa in North Carolina

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found a piece of Africa in North Carolina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted
Came across this place by accident one day. It's just down the road from us in a business park.

Biltong USA
Beef only but it is good.

I was at the store front on a Friday morning and had to stand in line. Mason polished off our supply within a couple days so we'll be headed back.

BTW, D-3 days and counting.

ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to see someone has had a brain spark. i will be seeing you and your son soon!!!

Enjoy the sleepless nights dreaming of hunting

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
ChetNC,

That is the real reason I always tell clients to book for a long time: You can at the end of your hunt eat biltong made from your first animal! Big Grin

There is, most unfortunately, absolutely no legal way to export biltong from South Africa to USA. Smuggling it is not only a huge risk, you are almost sure to be sniffed out by a specially trained dog on duty at Atlanta.Airport. I assume they will have similar dogs on dute at most places where flights arrive from Africa!

See you soon!

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Their biltong is pretty good even though it is made in the USA and beef only. I imagine they keep the expats and the safari guys stocked by mail order. There were a few SA expats in there getting their fix as well.

Mason spilled his guts on our trip to the gal at the counter. She says her brother is a SAPS director at Kruger and we should look him up.

I'm looking forward to next week gents.
ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
ChetNC,

Smuggling it is not only a huge risk, you are almost sure to be sniffed out by a specially trained dog on duty at Atlanta.Airport. I assume they will have similar dogs on dute at most places where flights arrive from Africa!

See you soon!

Andrew McLaren

They used to have the cutest little Beagles sniffing around the Atlanta airport. Everybody just loved them!! BUT, they have a nose you wouldn't believe. My three can smell a biscuit cooking from a mile away!! Smiler

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Durham. You can find a piece of Africa on every street corner.

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever thought of using the "exotics" in TX to make biltong?

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you mentioned that. I just found out they put Scimitar horned oryx on CITIES I, guess what, I'm going to be making a TON of biltong, damn sure no reason to keep them on the place if I can't make a little cash off of them. Does anyone have a good biltong recipe???

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmagltd.:
Does anyone have a good biltong recipe???

Yes, I do have a very good one! Big Grin

Step 1. Book a hunting safari with Andrew McLaren Safaris & shoot a gemsbuck.
Step 2. First observe and then practice [meaning you do most of the work Big Grin] how a gemsbuck s converted into biltong.
Step 3. But a few packages of "Crown Biltong Spice" [or similar other brand name] to legaly take back to the USA with you.
Step 4. Shoot your scimitar horned oryx and do exactly as you did with gemsbuck in South Africa.Yummy! Wink

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote