Notify
Tools

DAPU
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
DAPU- stands for DANDE ANTI POACHING UNIT. Pse go to

http://www.cmsafaris.com/afric...de-anti-poaching.htm

CMS firmly believes that we need to be proactive to curb the poaching should we like to continue to enjoy the unspoilt dangerous game hunting in the Valley or else where.

While CMS have so far "fitted the bill" as such we are at a point where we would hugely appreciate any assistance. Please pass the word around! All the best Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz and Myles,
You guys have and are doing a wonderful job with the anti poaching. I am glad to put my hand in my pocket to help out for this most worthwhile cause! See you in Vegas to discuss my contribution and my my forthcoming safari in DAnde in August!!!

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick

Thanks so much! Last night DAPU did a raid on a suspect ele poacher that we were given info on and we managed to arrest 2 guys who are snaring small eles! I will try post picks if I can.

This morning we also arrested a Chinese truck that came into the area and cut 136 mopane trees. We took them to Parks and they got a pathetic us$800 fine. We have managed to have it reviewed in the hope that they will get a much stiffer penalty and possibly have their truck impounded. Thanks again Nick- cheers Buzz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Buzz,

I checked out your Dande Anti Poaching Unit link and am impressed. I will sponsor the following:

24 boots @ $25 each $ 600
24 knives @ $ 5 each 120
24 socks @ $10 each 240
24 hats @ 7 each 168

Plus 36 snares collected
@ $2 a piece 72

Total $ 1200

I will give you the cash on the first day of SCI Las Vegas.

The rest of you should check out this page and see what you could sponsor. We don't want these rangers running around naked with only hats, socks, boots and knives...although that might really put some fear in the poachers! They still need wages, uniforms, GPS's, water bottles, handcuffs, handheld radios, sleeping bags, camping mattresses, tents, torches, backpacks, and shotguns. In addition you can sponsor cash rewards for snares collected, dogs shot, meat poachers arrested and convicted or informed upon, and the same for ivory poachers.

CMS is doing a lot to help purge Dande of poaching and they could use some help.

Cheers,

GunsCore

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

The costs posted on your page, what time period do they cover?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Buzz

Great work!

Put 1000 US on my bill

Regards CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz, what is the best way to get the contributions to DAPU?

Best wishes,
Dave Adams

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Buzz and Myles are too modest to toot their own horn, but let me assure you that they take these anti-poaching efforts very serious. They are working hard with Parks and local police officials to ensure that enforcement is swift and serious when poachers are caught. While it would be great if Parks was in a position to do this on their own, as anyone that has been to Zim can attest, Parks is just not in a position from a funding or resource perspective to do much on the prevention side. On the other hand, CMS has been aggressive in organizing and staying on top of the anti-poaching teams and ensuring that units are deployed regularly for routine patrols and quickly at the first sign of poaching activity. I guess that is a long way of saying, this is not a situation where your contribution goes into a black hole where you scratch your head and wonder whether and how the monies get used. To the contrary, CMS is trying to make a real difference in the areas they are responsible for and having seen the efforts first hand, the contributions are put to good use. That is why I have already sent them $750.00.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i went to the link above but couldn't find a way to make a contribution.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Mike and Frederik thanks so much for your VERY generous donations guys- It is much appreciated and I will have Charmain note it on "CONTRIBUTORS" on Monday morning- Thank you and I so look forward to hunting with you both again and am sure you will see what a difference DAPU will make!

Saeed- The list under "SPONSOR A GAME SCOUT" the below are annual costs
WAGES, BOOTS,UNIFORMS,SOCKS, HATS AND TORCHES.
The rest I guess should last for a few years if they look after them!!!

The figure that I am unable guess with any certainty is the " BONUS" monies and wear and tear on our old anti poaching land cruiser.

For example yesterday operation which was the arresting on a fellow and his dad for snaring an elephant and kudu and the arrest of commercial Chinese tree cutters cost us $910 broken down below

$60 for 30 snares taken from the poachers
$100 for the arrest of hopefuly conviction of the father for meat poaching
$500 for the arrest and conviction of the son for elephant poaching
$50 for informer on the father as a meat poacher
$100 for informer on son as ele poacher
$100 bonus to team arresting Chinese tree cutters

That is BEFORE the costs of transport for the operation and then taking the poachers 200Km round trip to police etc etc and we will still need to provide transport to take them to court (400km) in a weeks time!!! Last night at 2 am much to my pregnant wife annoyance I got a call from a fellow who is coming to twon from Dande with what he says is "HUGE" inside info on ele poaching going on next door to us- so the "cash for info" policy is spreading which is good!

Adamsdjr and J Dollor I have sent you a PM! Once again guys THANKYOU so much and and as Mike has seen on the ground we are ACTUALLY making a difference- DAPU is not s scam as so many of these "Anti poaching " set up are!!

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

I have seen on the ground that DAPU is conducting a good job and showing a best practise example for others to follow. I will continue to do my best to raise more money and equipment from Sweden.

Keep up the good work / P-A

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

Are you coming through Dubai early next year?

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen these guys swing into man tracking mode when poaching activity is detected. I was in Dande East a couple years back when we happened onto the trail of poachers. I would personally not want Bongi on my trail if I was a poacher, let alone Criton. It gives one hope.
Buzz, have the office put $500 on my bill for next April for DAPU.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz, While attending DSC I will empty my girlfriends wallet and support DAPU. A far better cause than her shopping.

jumping

Posts: 193 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A representative of Keeler Chiropractic will be at SCI in Las Vegas 2014 where one of the Dr. Keeler's will present you $1000.00 for your conservation efforts for you to use where it is most needed.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Buzz, PM sent re: cash contribution at DSC.

posted Hide Post
Hi Buzz,

Makorokoto on the fantastic work and effort that you and your team are putting into DAPU.

Because of the work, time, finance and effort you have dedicated to this operation, and continue to put into Dande, I have no doubt that you will reap the rewards in the seasons to come.

I think we all know how severe the poaching is becoming, yet many within the safari industry seem to turn a blind eye.

CM safaris are an inspiration and many should take note of this.

Cheers,

Pete Creighton

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz - email sent !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz & Miles, thanks' for all the hard work and initiative. It's things like this that I believe will save the wildlife and the Zambezi Valley for future generations.

I belong to a small club here in Northern Colorado. We call ourselves "The High Plains Elephant Cropers Association. Although I am one of the few members fortunate enough to have hunted Elephant, and in the Dande, we are all concerned about the poaching across Africa. We have a meeting this Tuesday. I wikk be sure to bring your work up then and try to generate some contributions.

Bob Schofield

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Hi Guys

Mike and Frederik thanks so much for your VERY generous donations guys- It is much appreciated and I will have Charmain note it on "CONTRIBUTORS" on Monday morning- Thank you and I so look forward to hunting with you both again and am sure you will see what a difference DAPU will make!

Saeed- The list under "SPONSOR A GAME SCOUT" the below are annual costs
WAGES, BOOTS,UNIFORMS,SOCKS, HATS AND TORCHES.
The rest I guess should last for a few years if they look after them!!!

The figure that I am unable guess with any certainty is the " BONUS" monies and wear and tear on our old anti poaching land cruiser.

For example yesterday operation which was the arresting on a fellow and his dad for snaring an elephant and kudu and the arrest of commercial Chinese tree cutters cost us $910 broken down below

$60 for 30 snares taken from the poachers
$100 for the arrest of hopefuly conviction of the father for meat poaching
$500 for the arrest and conviction of the son for elephant poaching
$50 for informer on the father as a meat poacher
$100 for informer on son as ele poacher
$100 bonus to team arresting Chinese tree cutters

That is BEFORE the costs of transport for the operation and then taking the poachers 200Km round trip to police etc etc and we will still need to provide transport to take them to court (400km) in a weeks time!!! Last night at 2 am much to my pregnant wife annoyance I got a call from a fellow who is coming to twon from Dande with what he says is "HUGE" inside info on ele poaching going on next door to us- so the "cash for info" policy is spreading which is good!

Adamsdjr and J Dollor I have sent you a PM! Once again guys THANKYOU so much and and as Mike has seen on the ground we are ACTUALLY making a difference- DAPU is not s scam as so many of these "Anti poaching " set up are!!

This is an ongoing cost across all our hunting concessions. I would say that 50% of our income is spent on wildlife protection.

If you can get others to pay this expense then good on you mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I was in camp when the raid on the elephant poachers when down as well as the incident with the mopane tree poachers. I was also in camp last year when elephant poachers were tracked down and dealt with properly by the Parks Rangers. CMS is doing a first rate job with the DAPU.

Buzz and Myles, you can count on my donation as well for the continued good work.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
Todd,

How did your hunt in Dande East go?

/ P-A

Posts: 292 | Location: Northernmost Sweden | Registered: 17 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-A Åhlén:
Todd,

How did your hunt in Dande East go?

/ P-A

Never made it to the East P-A. No rains there. All done in the DSA, Ward 11, and Dande North. Great time however, as always. I'll post a full report once I have a chance to recover a bit. We had some "exciting" encounters!

One of Us
Picture of P-A Åhlén
posted Hide Post
OK, the staff in camp was already talking about it when I was there "if no rain Todds hunt has to move to here". Really looking forward to your report

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed- yes I will be coming through for the Vegas SCI show but not Dallas as Steph is expecting our number 2 over those dates. I was infact there just the other day on my way back from India and I had intended to come around and say hi but had caught a sever case of "dehli belly" so did not make it!!!

Dave JDollar, Marty Bob Schofield, Todd and Bob Keller! - thanks SO MUCH for the very generous donations. Dave ,Bob S , Todd and Marty we are so looking forward to having you guys out next year!

P-A thanks for your continued search for Aid in Sweden and such a pity our Governments do not "see eye to eye" which would make things alot easier!

Fair Game- thanks for the message. I guess things are different here. Most areas in Zim are National Parks areas- ie no people and all anti poaching is done by Parks and one does not budget for it. Unfortunately as we all know Parks are underfunded or mismanaged ( however you want to look at it) and bottom line they are not doing it. I can assure you NO operator who put 50% of income generated as you say into anti poaching would be able to continue. I am glad that the margins in Zambia allow for that and that good operators like you do dedicate that money to the anti poaching. In Zim it is certainly a different scenario!

Since my last post we have also managed to arrest 1 buffalo poacher and two under aged boys who poached a duiker. All are with the police and court is tomorrow so we will see what sentences they get. We also found a dead body in the East area which is a little worrying!

Folks I would like to extend a HUGE thanks to all the generous donations and very simply put we would not be able to continue this exercise with out your help! Thankyou! CMS will up grade the DAPU site to include "ARRESTS AND CONVICTIONS, SNARES FOUND ETC SO so all of you can follow their activities!!!

Thank you once again!!!! Cheers Buzz and Myles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI- the ele poacher we arrested while Todd was hunting has been to court. He is a repeat offender and we expected the minimum ele poaching sentence which is 9 years- he was given a year and his father whole was an accomplish was let off!! This means we will have to go through the lengthy process of getting a retrial in a different town as obliviously there is some skullduggery going on there!!! Thats Africa for you! 72 more snares found in the East yesterday. Cheers Buzz

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
AWA. until local corruption is stopped, the same BS will continue. oh well, all you can do is keep trying…

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FYI- the ele poacher we arrested while Todd was hunting has been to court. He is a repeat offender and we expected the minimum ele poaching sentence which is 9 years- he was given a year and his father whole was an accomplish was let off!! This means we will have to go through the lengthy process of getting a retrial in a different town as obliviously there is some skullduggery going on there!!! Thats Africa for you! 72 more snares found in the East yesterday. Cheers Buzz

That's a tough one Frowner
No justice thumbdown

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew if you guys are spending that much on wildlife protection hats off to you guys that is a hell of a lot of money out of your cash flow . Buzz you guys are doing A fantastic job good luck and to all the guys that are donating to this God Bless!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donation sent. DAPU is working. With continued success this culd be a model for others to follow

One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Seems contributions to DAPU are going a bit slow?
SCI could rise 1 million US that nobody knows were have gone to! We should be abel to rise more than a few grand to someting we know does a difference!

Good hunting
CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
Hi guys
Seems contributions to DAPU are going a bit slow?
SCI could rise 1 million us that nobody knows were have gone to! We should be abel to rise more than a few grand to someting we know does a difference!

Good hunting
CF

There is no doubt money donated to DAPU will go exactly where it is meant to go.

Sadly, unlike SCI dark hole where donations disappear into never to be seen again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz:
What type of vehicle did the Chinese Mopane thieves use? Is the vehicle seized by the govt.? If not I would suggest a thorough cleansing with cigars and sugar in the gas tank, and a handy splice job on all of the wires under the bonnet and dash. Maybe would get someones attention. Of course I'm sure the tires were in a deflated state upon arrival.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A HUGE thanks to all of you that have kindly donated to DAPU at the SCI show- we now head back and while DAPU is working flat out we are now in a position to seriously bolster its efforts. As soon as we have got over the jet lag etc we will post on the latest developments which is thanks to you all!! All the best Buzz

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Buzz - I must congratulate you and the CMS team for doing a wonderful job in transforming an area as you are doing, particularly in the East.

Not to sound pessimistic, but when you give bonuses for snares found, how can you be 100% sure your scouts don't just make some at home and claim to have found them in the bush? Trust?

Keep up the good work!
Cheers

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Buzz - I must congratulate you and the CMS team for doing a wonderful job in transforming an area as you are doing, particularly in the East.

Not to sound pessimistic, but when you give bonuses for snares found, how can you be 100% sure your scouts don't just make some at home and claim to have found them in the bush? Trust?

Keep up the good work!
Cheers

Buzz can answer this better, but I believe they make a point of destroying the snares, (burning and burying) so they don't end paying more than once for the same snare.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Thierry

Good question there. With each DAPU team we have a Team leader- like in the East we have Bongi and yes it s a matter of trust. At the end of the day even IF they are making some up there is limited wire and we feel that at least we are getting it out the system as in the end thats where all the wire goes anyway!

Collected snares are not handed over to council like we did in the old days as we soon found out that it mysteriously made its way back into the bush!! Instead it comes out on our delivery trucks to town- at home I have 1000 plus snares so if you need some wire for your up and coming hunting season for tying baits come around!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz - Good luck and good hunting!

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Thierry

Good question there. With each DAPU team we have a Team leader- like in the East we have Bongi and yes it s a matter of trust. At the end of the day even IF they are making some up there is limited wire and we feel that at least we are getting it out the system as in

the end thats where all the wire goes anyway!

Collected snares are not handed over to council like we did in the old days as we soon found out that it mysteriously made its way back into the bush!! Instead it comes out on our delivery trucks to town- at home I have 1000 plus snares so if you need some wire for your up and coming hunting season for tying baits come around!!!!

Bongi is a solid guy for sure, but I was just curious. Your reply makes a lot of sense.
Cheers, see you in Harare

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote