New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caracal/Serval with .375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Or will I just make a mess? I'm doing a plains-game hunt, and planning on only taking one gun-- a .375 H&H, loaded with 300 gr. Northfork softs. I would probably want to do a full-body mount-- will there be enough left to work with? I've never shot anything smaller than a whitetail with the .375.

I realize this isn't "big game", but it is African game.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
for your own consideration, this is my serval shot with a 9,3x74r, the bullet were a 286 grains, so it would be appels and appels comparisen.
the hole you see is the entry and it made a tear on the other side of about 1,5" it is being mounted as we speak and should be done in a week or two.

best regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
An African Wildcat shot with Hornady 300 gr. FMJ round nosed bullets out of a Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H Magnum.

I know, crappy gun and cheap crappy bullets, but the combo works well for me.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375-- rats to rhinos, small cats included.
Load er up.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 is fine for anything but I would recommend using solids for your small stuff. If you hit big bone such as a leg with a soft it can do some serious damage.

Posts: 146 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 06 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just take a few solids, they'll just make a nice neat hole , good luck those are rare things to get a crack at

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll see about throwing in some solids. But it's good to know it will be OK anyway.

Great pictures, btw. No Blaser jokes from me; whatever works.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. Maybe I'll get lucky and bag one of the little cats.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I have shot serval and civet with a 375 soft and they were okay for mounting. A genet cat and jackal were not. This last year I used solids on a genet and jackal and they worked fine. So pack some solids.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about a bonded bullet like Accubonds??
do you think that they will be to soft and fragment/mushroom on a small animal or just go through like a solid?

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have shot numerous small cats and animals with the .375 using trophy bonded sledgehammers. Small hole going in and small hole going out. In fact, I prefer to shoot the smaller trophies with the .375 and solids.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, 375 solids. They work and don't do too much damage to small critters.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had my best luck shooting small stuff with either bonded core Softs or Solids.

I have used both in my 9,3x74R. The Solids do make a smaller hole.

However Woodleigh Softs or in 308 and 300 Win Mag, Trophy Bonded Bearclaws have not "blown up" any small game so far.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shangaan:
.375 is fine for anything but I would recommend using solids for your small stuff. If you hit big bone such as a leg with a soft it can do some serious damage.

thumb
Agree with Shangaan, Take a couple of solids

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote