Notify
Tools

Rhino shot in Limpopo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted
Rhino shot in Limpopo

Johannesburg - Another rhino was shot and killed in a farm in Naboomspruit in Limpopo on Saturday, provincial police said.

Lieutenant Colonel Ronel Otto said a farmer and his workers were patrolling the farm when they heard gun shots just after 05:00.

"They went to investigate and they found a rhino dead after it had been shot."

Otto said the farmer informed the police and searched with his workers for the suspects while waiting for the officers to come.

"Our officers, together with the farmer and his workers searched the whole day. A shoot-out ensued between the police and the suspects between 17:00 and 18:00.

"One suspect was shot in the hip; he was arrested and taken to hospital. He is under police guard. The rest are still at large."

Otto said police were still searching for the rest of the suspects. More than 20 people have been arrested countrywide in separate cases involving rhino poaching since September.

At least 210 rhinos have been killed for their horns since the beginning of this year - up from a total of 122 poached last year.

Black-market demand for rhino horns has risen sharply as economic growth has spread through east and south-east Asia, where the horn is believed to have medicinal properties.

- SAPA

Cheers,

~ Alan

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least 210 rhinos have been killed for their horns since the beginning of this year - up from a total of 122 poached last year.

We're going to lose the ability to hunt rhino legally if the poachers keep this up. (And any chance of them every being numerous enough a regular guy could afford to shoot one.)

Someone needs to educate the Asian countries that eating rhino horn is NOT going to make your pecker hard. If they really want keratin, go green and eat your fingernails, it's the same stuff as rhino horn!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey Alan,

I have a question for all of you that keep posting all of these terrible articles about rhino poachers. Obviously, there are quite a few of new arrests out there...this blog site has a new article up almost everyday. So, if Dawie Groenewald is really guilty of the charges brought against him, then why do the number of poaching incidents not decrease? And why do none of the article you present on this blog mention specific names of the poachers who have been arrested? Seems a little one sided to me. Perhaps the police have the wrong guy.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
She's baaaaaaaaack!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No. Seriously. I'm not trying to defend Dawie specifically, I'm just asking a legitimate question. I mean, from a journalistic standpoint, doesn't it seem a bit odd to you? Why are none of the names of the other arrested individuals ever published? If Dawie is the leader of this supposed syndicate, who's providing direction for all of these miscellaneous rhino poaching incidents while Dawie is being watched by government officials? I just think it is very strange that we aren't all asking more questions.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adqueen:
No. Seriously.

Soooooo.... what do you think?

animalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimalanimal

posted Hide Post
Shakari, you are such a card. I'm just laughing like crazy over here. You don't have an answer for me?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
No. Seriously. I'm not trying to defend Dawie specifically, I'm just asking a legitimate question. I mean, from a journalistic standpoint, doesn't it seem a bit odd to you? Why are none of the names of the other arrested individuals ever published? If Dawie is the leader of this supposed syndicate, who's providing direction for all of these miscellaneous rhino poaching incidents while Dawie is being watched by government officials? I just think it is very strange that we aren't all asking more questions.

When KSM was captured...did Al Qaeda stop its attacks???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That's a stretch.
But it doesn't answer the question about the media not revealing names of the poachers.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a stretch.
But it doesn't answer the question about the media not revealing names of the poachers.

Not really a stretch at all. Actually...a lot of the actual tracker/killer/hackers of rhino are Somalis...

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
adqueen

TIA nuff said???? Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a stretch.

I don't know what newspapers and news websites you read/visit but the ones I've read/visited have named a fair number of people who are (allegedly) involved...... including the name of the guy who committed suicide and at least two diplomats who were (allegedly) caught buying illegal rhino horn.

Add on the fact that it isn't illegal for the media to name the accused and I see no reason at all why the names of the people who are (allegedly) involved shouldn't be named.

Or maybe I misunderstand. Are you suggesting there are other people who are also (allegedly) involved but haven't been named? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arrrgggghhhhh - someway or another people need to recover funds lost

that being said, there are 3 apparently main Rhino poaching "rings" two down - one more to go...

ADQUEEN - if he was so innocent then why the high bail amount?

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Again, I am not speaking specifically about Dawie and the innocence of him or any other alleged poacher, although you all bring it back to that. I am speaking about the fanfare that surrounded the Dawie incident vs. other alleged poachers.
I have also grown very suspect of any and all media coverage. There are many statements of "fact" that I know not to be true, but who polices the media? In fact, this blog is very much like the media...statements of opinion vs. fact.
And I have to ask once again, on a separate note, what all of you do for a living? How do you have so much time to blog all day long?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
adqueen,
point of order!! this is a forum not a blog. many of the people posting here have first hand knowledge of the situation in RSA.Some here have either meet or know some of the individuals involved. If you trust the media for your information/your will be disappointed. THE MEDIA LIE"S and distorts things. I would lean towards trusting those how post herewith first hand knowledge over the media any time.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote