New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana Elephant Survey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone having a vested interest in Elephant Management in Botswana..see link below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/...6J4lU/viewform?pli=1

I stumbled across this while surfing the web.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Wonder how they feel about hunting.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an online survey.

I would say if you have ever been to Botswana hunting or are a PH/Outfitter operating in Botswana..COMPLETE THE SURVEY!

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worthless crap!
If they are not happy with your answer it gets binned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the group they say they are working with,
http://www.elephantswithoutborders.org/

I filled it out, If they are anti hunting maybe I succeeded in pissing them off.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's just a young PhD candidate working on her Doctoral thesis and probably won't amount to anything.

But it is a chancve to put in a good word about the importance of hunting to wildlife management in Bots.

Here's the young lady explaining it all (scroll down for video): http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/tempe-adams

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
ELEPHANT WITHOUT BORDERS :
At the time they presented us with their survey I pointed out that this could not have come at a worse time as the dismal picture painted from the survey for wildlife in general would would give them ammunition for the closure of hunting - - Dr Chase assured all that hunting was not a cause for decline - but fire poaching human encroachment and fences were the cause. Well every press release and every anti hunter is useing this survey as a motivation as to why to close hunting - ironicaly the only areas that showed an increase in wildlife populations were the hunting concessions !!!! , but we all know the motto for the anti hunters is " DONT RUIN A GOOD STORY WITH THE TRUTH", The hunting industry has made the grave mistake of believing Research People that surveys etc will assist motivate hunting as a land use option - I can now safely say - after our huntng industry funding vast amounts of research - it has all back fired , this should be a lesson to other countries - dont be fooled into giveing an inch - they will take your hand arm leg , concession and company before you know it.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
Graham,

Do you not think that the problem lies more with the "glorious leader" than the researchers?

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can now safely say - after our hunting industry funding vast amounts of research - it has all back fired , this should be a lesson to other countries - don't be fooled into giving an inch - they will take your hand arm leg , concession and company before you know it.

tu2 Well said !

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
i filled it in - very very important people for as many folks as possible to fill this in but not in a way that will antagonise , just the plain truth - otherwise our voices will never get heard , thanks for posting this

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the time they presented us with their survey I pointed out that this could not have come at a worse time as the dismal picture painted from the survey for wildlife in general would would give them ammunition for the closure of hunting - - Dr Chase assured all that hunting was not a cause for decline - but fire poaching human encroachment and fences were the cause. Well every press release and every anti hunter is useing this survey as a motivation as to why to close hunting - ironicaly the only areas that showed an increase in wildlife populations were the hunting concessions !!!! , but we all know the motto for the anti hunters is " DONT RUIN A GOOD STORY WITH THE TRUTH", The hunting industry has made the grave mistake of believing Research People that surveys etc will assist motivate hunting as a land use option - I can now safely say - after our huntng industry funding vast amounts of research - it has all back fired , this should be a lesson to other countries - dont be fooled into giveing an inch - they will take your hand arm leg , concession and company before you know it.

+1

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
i filled it in - very very important people for as many folks as possible to fill this in but not in a way that will antagonise , just the plain truth - otherwise our voices will never get heard , thanks for posting this

I did as well. Tried to be objective, restrained and reasoned in my responses to the why questions. From my perspective, it cannot hurt to make your views known if done in a constructive manner.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone (else) think it might be worthwhile to invite Ms. Adams to participate in the discussion here?

She might learn a thing or two.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1

Ivan,
I am surprised by you agreeing that research is bad.

Fact of the matter is that the only way to win is with research and science.

Having been politically involved in two of these type things in the US now...1) American Mustang 2) African Lion...I can tell you it is not the research that kills us...it is the amount of DOLLARS spent by the anti's to BUY political capital. And not dollars spent on research...political dollars. For every dollar spent in US fighting the up-list of the lion...there have been close to $100,000 spent to make sure it happens. The anti-hunters are well funded and the general population of them is ignorant.

If it were not for all of the research and scientists saying that lion should NOT be up-listed...it would have happened already.

Guys...science and facts are all that save us now...don not give up on proper science.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it were not for all of the research and scientists saying that lion should NOT be up-listed...it would have happened already.

Guys...science and facts are all that save us now...don not give up on proper science.

All depends on who the researchers are - most of the ones I have come across are bogus two-faced liars! - excluding you and Aaron of course Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Lane
Sorry for the misconception on the contrary I think that research is the ONLY way that our wildlife has a future ... What I was agreeing with was that many many times researchers start by being funded by hunt outfitters and sooner or later develop an affinity with heir study species or group and very commonly turn against the hunting ..

I say again I strongly feel research is the only way much wildlife the world over not just Africa has a future

Thanks gents

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane
Sorry for the misconception on the contrary I think that research is the ONLY way that our wildlife has a future ... What I was agreeing with was that many many times researchers start by being funded by hunt outfitters and sooner or later develop an affinity with heir study species or group and very commonly turn against the hunting ..

I say again I strongly feel research is the only way much wildlife the world over not just Africa has a future

Thanks gents

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote