THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Dummy rounds for Hunter Safety Instruction

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dummy rounds for Hunter Safety Instruction
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I'm hoping some of you can help me. I am looking for dummy rounds (brass & bullet with NO Primer or Powder) in big bore cartridges. I am a Hunter Safety Instructor here in AZ and I would like to introduce my students to calibers different than 270, 7mm, & 30 cal.

I am using shot placement photos of I took off this forum of African Game Animals as well as North American Game. I would like for them to learn about hunting in other Continents and the calibers they use.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
If any of you reloaders would be open to loading and donating a dummy round to our cause, please PM me with the caliber you could send.

I am trying to bring up a new generation of African hunters.

Thanks

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
NY State is very fussy about what they will accept as a "dummy" round. No live rounds allowed in class. It must be obvious that the round is not live. Simply having a mockup case (no primer, drill through case, etc) is not enough. They want it made out of a bright-orange plastic if possible. These are available at some refresher courses -- or for sale at an annual hunter safety conference upstate, but I don't know where they get theirs. I know they have to be available since I have some. The IHEA site didn't have any info on them... nor did my simple first-try web searches.

Dan

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Can't remember what calibers they offer them in, but Cabela's has some dummy rounds/snap caps in a variety of calibers.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased some brass and a few bullets from Huntingtons. I too am a hunter's ed instructor and wanted to show some of the different cartridges used. The best way to insure no one get's too uptight about "dummy" rounds being in the class is to mount them on a board or put them in a display case. That seemed to make everyone happy in our area. You should have seen the look on the faces of the kids and adults when they saw a 700 NE soft point and a 600 NE FMJ.

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
There are no dummys for the big bores that I have ever seen.

The group of instructors I teach with consider a 300 wby a "big bore".

That is why I asked for some help.

I have a 375 H&H and they think I'm nuts - oh well

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Riodot

Riodot..I'm sure a Kudu looking down the barrel
of a 300 weatherby may have a different take on the meaning of a big bore!

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Riodot,

You have a PM.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Thank you Steve.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM me an address and I'll send you one each of 375 H&H, 450/400 3 1/4 Nitro Express, 9.3x62 Mauser and even though it's not a big bore, a 6.5x54 Mannlicher.

Cheers

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Mac.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Riodot,
I could send you a cartridge or 2. Send me a pm with an address. If you've found out any more information as the the way the cartridge is supposed to be presented let me know. I'll dress you up a 470 Mbogo cartridge.
take care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
470mbogo:

Thanks for the help!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some 375 H&H from Brownells

Posts: 116 | Location: NEW JERSEY | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The following will be in the mail either tomorrow or Friday with my compliments: thumb

6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer loaded with a 160 gr Hornady Round Nose

9.3x62 Mauser loaded with a 270 gr Speer Soft Point

375 H&H Magnum loaded with a 300 gr Woodleigh Solid

450/400 3 1/4 Nitro Express loaded with a 400 gr Woodleigh Soft Point.

All rounds were full length sized, primers removed and include no powder.

Cheers

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Riodot,
I'm sending off a 416 Rigby and a 470 Mbogo cartridge tomorrow. You'll be a cartridge collector by the end of this. Big Grin
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
You gentlemen are great.

My students will now see and know what I'm talking about when I mention a Dangeous Game caliber.

My fellow instructors and I thank you once again!!!

And, if anyone else wants to help complete our teaching collection, there are some cartridges not yet represented.

Thanks,
Have A Great Day!!

Lance

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a .500 NE, let me know.

Cheers,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
BIG SAM

Thanks so much for the offer - I have sent you a PM.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get them from Sinclair International in most any caliber. I ordered 8 last night. Their website is http://www.sinclairint.com and I've always had good service from them. Good luck!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, they call them "snap caps" if that helps in looking.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
Snap caps are likely to work for you...

In NY, the hunter safety programs prefer those bright orange plastic shells -- they are obviously not real. I'm not sure if other states have the same level of PC concerns that NY has to deal with. I still don't know who supplies those things, though.

Dan