New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 solids
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The recent pics and stories of .375 TB Sledgehammer solids that have bent are interesting. Recently I bought a box, 1 round had a crumpled case neck that would never chamber in a gun, 4 more had smaller crumples that would probably take an extra push on the bolt to chamber. I'm not impressed. Yes, I can send them back to Federal for refund/replacement, but that's not the real solution.
Hornady also sells .375 solids as loaded ammo. My understanding is that recently they changed the bullet from a copper-washed steel jacket, to something different. Does anyone have experience with the newer bullet? My previous experiences with Hornady pistol ammo were not encouraging but perhaps the rifle stuff is better.
The CCI/Speer .375 solids are difficult to find, and I'm beginning to suspect that they may be out of production, as well as being pretty pricey.
Does anyone have other recommendations for a .375 solid that is easy to find in the U.S.? Thanks.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with .300 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Solids in my .375. Here's a link to a pic of two that I recovered from a buffalo about 6 months ago:

Federal Premium TBS

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Hornady had trouble getting the copper clad steel jacket material about four years ago and went to making their solids in .375, .416, and .458 from a heavy copper only material.

A magnet will detect the difference easily.....

I have no information as to which are better.....no clue here.....and I'm not in the know as to what testing was done with either of them.

I do have several hundred old ones with the steel core and they're reserved for my next safari.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Did you mean that the entire bullet is now copper, or just the jacket?

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
They have a brass shell and lead core. My boy used them on buff. They look as tough as anything out there.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Gearhead Jim,

I have had a 375 TBSH bend slightly on a brain shot hippo, but dead hippo. I have 3 470 TBSH that are not bent, 2 recovered from elephant and 1 from buffalo. I will continue to use them as they shoot good in the rifles I own. Plus the 375 is usually shooting TBBC and they have all performed well. I have also not yet experienced a bad Federal Premium round and I just checked 8 boxes of 470 and 6 of 375.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a dozen boxes of the old Hornady solids in .416 caliber, if anyone wants to buy them, I suppose I would sell them for whatever the new ones cost, that's $37.30 per box so make it an even $35.00 per box...I will sell them in 6 box lots only as I don't want to get in the mail order one box business...

The old Hornadys always worked for me and George Hoffman swore by them, thats a pretty darn good recommendation, but I looked at my loaded .416s today and I could not possibly live long enough to shoot all the solids I have loaded, 200 GS FN, 200 Bridger FN, 160 Hornaday RN Solids and 100 Impala solids, and thats just in .416, not counting 404, 375 and 9.3x62s now that's a lot of Buffalo in a hurry for this old man.

Lookout Saeed, I;m coming, the vulgar vuga will never be the same, the vultures will fill the sky to the horizons on all sides, the Lions will feast into December, Walter will moan about the stink of rotting flesh, and no native within 100,000 miles will be without a 10 year supply of
biltong, between the two of us, death and destruction, scorched earth and famine shall take place!! for years to come in the Selous and I will have shot up all my solids, then what??

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I've started using the TBSH solids 2 or so years ago, i've never had a problem with them on buff. That is all i use for hunting buff since then and have no reason to change from my experiences. I have buddy's who use the same and all are happy with the penetration and performance of them. Just my experience.....

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Mr Atkinson,

I was wondering if you had tested those impala bullets yet ? And what was your finding on them ?

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 boxes of 50, Remington, 300gr, 375 cal, metal cased solids for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote