New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duffle with Wheels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a recommendation for a light weight duffle with wheels for a trip to Africa? With the new weight limits, the weight of the duffle is important.
Thanks

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last 2 trips I used the largest Filson wheeled duffle.
I was over weight and had to pay extra both ways.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the wheeled duffle bags but coupled with a gun in a gun case I don't think it is possible to be under the weight requirement. If you are willing to pay the overage, the Filson bags are great. I have one by Westley Richards which is beautiful but heavy!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I've used the Cabela’s wheeled duffle on 10+ trips, including recently to Canada w/a 50lb weight limit. Holding up well, no tears, handle might twist when being pulled under heavy load but has not broken, wheels still roll, never been cut into or anything stolen from, etc. I have found it (and assume other similar ones) to be very flexible. I pack clothes in the bottom and plastic cases in the top portion for the odds-and-ends, ammo, etc (which can be locked), plus bulky items, gifts, boots, etc. Even brought back capes, antlers (split) and a Dall sheep skull/horns in it (a Nike duffle which was packed inside was then used for clothes as an extra bag). Brought back a Masai stool and mask, and a folding table from Zim in it too.

My gun case is an SKB in which I also back the bino's, knife, flashlight. In the carry-on goes extra clothes, sat phone, headlamp, plus anything else I absolutely need in the event my case(s) get lost. If traveling with somebody, I split things up over the multiple cases, including the ammo, to lessen the impact if any one case is lost (call it a RAIS for those in the IT world!).

There are different sizes, and the largest might pack too big/heavy. Looks like mine is now called the "Alaskan Guide Model Wheeled Duffel", $169 for the "LARGE" (NOT EXTRA LARGE). The long strap carry strap is not needed and should be removed.

Cabelas Wheeled Duffle

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I use one I bought from LL Bean, check with them too.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought an L L Bean rolling duffle, it is lighter in weight than Cabelas large rolling duffle which is so heavy I could just get under the 70 lbs limit. I use a Tuffpack and the rolling duffle with a backpack carry on. I watch Craigs DVD.s and just can't get by with so little "stuff".

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone in Europe know where I can get a duffel on wheels?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a large Samsonite wheeled duffle that has been to Africa eight times and Europe the same number of times. It is about 3/4's the size of the Filson case, and will carry everything that I carry for a sixteen day hunt and touring. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Cabelas Rolling Duffle with drop bottom for about 5 years. Wheels and telescoping handle doing well, edges of the drop botton starting to get frayed......

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One rolling duffle I'll recommend against is SKB. The first leg of it's maiden voyage the telecoping handle froze up and on the return leg the baggage mashers tore off a wheel. IMHO those failures were due to poor construction and not abuse. SKB offered to replace it, but no refund - no thanks.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything from TUMI luggage company.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model. I have the large and X-tra large (for my wife) on three safaris since '02. They are in great condition and have served me well. I have had no trouble with wear and tear. The large is 61" linear (l+w+h) ,and the X-Lg is 71" linear. Advice for all I locked my zippers on leaving Joberg and was going to remove locks in Paris before my continuation into USA. Air France did not get my luggage on the plane out of Joburg (even though we were there 3 hrs. before departure) and US customs to get my luggage dilivered 2 days later had to cut through the zippers ( not the locks) path of least resistance. I learned from this to get TSA locks just in case my plans do not work out.

I can store soft gun cases, ammunition boxes and enough clothes and gifts for the staff (SWAPPED WITH CURIOS ON THE FLIGHT BACK)for a 21 day safari in the Large. The X Lg meets my wifes needs. Every airline has linear dimensional and weight restrictions by flight class so do your homework. Charters add a Second requirement to be met as do domestic flights in Africa.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyt, been using it for years, a takedown shotgun or rifle fits in the lower compartment, everything else on top. Doesn't look like a gun case, and that's a good thing in my book. Plus it protects your nice leather guncase from getting messed up. HOWEVER, when loaded with gun in case plus other stuff, it can easily go over 50lbs.

Regards,

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the Cabelas duffel, and I've taken it 3 times. I can't say it's the lightest thing, but nothing will be overly light that's substantial enough to protect your gear. I definately think a duffel is better than a suitcase, as it will take less space for charter flights and road transfers.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
My old duffle has finally had more than it could take, so I've invested in a new bag from Orvis.

Since this looked like a pretty good deal on a quality bag I have ordered one. $149 for a $250 bag is hard to turn down.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=61K...eeds*Prod_feeds*4489