Find
Notify
Tools

Great Practice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Took a lesson from the Judge for some training for my wife. Our house backs up to the Salt River Range and we can take off out the back into the National Forest.

So, I took several balloons and hung them from trees with appropriate back drops. Then I took my wife out and stalked through the woods. When we spotted one of the balloons, we would stalk up and then she would shoot off the sticks. This was her first time using a 375 H&H and she loved it. She only missed one out of ten balloons which she shot from 75 yards to 150 yards. She never noticed the recoil.

Thanks for the tip Judge, it was great practice and a real confidence booster.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hey Pam great shooting. Looks like you are to shoot chui.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done the same practice routine in the West Va. woods using water-filled 2 liter bottles, & make the shooter locate the target as quickly as possible to simulate a stalk. Great fun & practice.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Back at it again today, and she is good to 200 yards on the sticks. Great fun.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Scott:

You're quite welcome. I suggest the training method for anyone, novice or old hand.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea, especially for a new shooter/hunter. But couldn't hurt any of us.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Great idea, especially for a new shooter/hunter. But couldn't hurt any of us.

Really? The last time I practiced, I feel off the shooting bench and landed in a cactus. Man, did that hurt!!!

So now what do you suggest I do? bewildered

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
bring empty bottles to the range DO NOT empty the bottle at the range and then try to practice!!!!! jumping

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Aaron,
bring empty bottles to the range DO NOT empty the bottle at the range and then try to practice!!!!! jumping

Ok, excellent advice! rotflmo

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote