Find
Notify
Tools

Quiet pants for TZ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
No, I'm not looking for fart-mufflers - I'll use Beano!

What about some pants made from a quiet fabric, that sheds thorns and still breathes?

Most khaki sounds like a turkey call when a thorn scratches across it, IMHO.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
'Fraid I can't remember the name but Cabelas do (or used to do) some very thin close weave zip offs in a variety of colours. They dry in about 20 or 30 minutes and although not advertised as such are pretty much tsetse proof.

FWIW they have zips at the bottom of each leg, cargo pockets on both thighs and a built in nylon belt with a friction buckle...... also don't need ironing.... you need to tell the laundry staff not to iron them as if they do get ironed, they'll melt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i really like just cotton pants, jeans work fine. Also the kind with the zipoff legs are sometimes nice to convert to shorts quick.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Will you be hunting amongst the tsetse flies? If so, remember they can bite right through anything that is overly light. I took 3 pairs of pants with me to TZ last year: some of the popular ones Cabela's sells that can zip off into shorts, some heavier LL Bean cotton duck pants I love when hunting here at home, and some light brown jeans that Carhart makes. The Cabela's pants were too light and the flies would bite right through as if they weren't there. I only wore them once. The duck pants were heavier than I preferred but I wore them while others were being washed, and the Carhart's were just right. On my next trip there, that's all I'll take.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I have some of the modern, light-weight zip-offs that are great for canoing, but thorns go through like crazy, and I'm afraid the flies will, too.

Last time I just wore jeans to NP, RSA, seemed to work fine but I was hoping for something a little more "bwana" for TZ. Smiler

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
How about these Don? Look like they might do the trick.

Ripstop Cotton pants

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Come on Don... Man Up!

Wear shorts - flesh rips very quietly.

At least that's what my hunting partner and PH told me while I was wearing noisy long pants. jumping

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
BigGuy,

Those look like they're tough enough.

But I bet they are hot!

The more I think about it, the better my old, worn-out jeans sound!

Don

Don_G