New
Find
Notify
Tools

2mhunter's rifles in same case?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I leave in a week and am rounding up the gear. We have two hunters and 3 rifles between us. I'd like to take the Krieghoff in it's takedown case and the Remington and winchester in my tuff pack. The problem is the winchester is mine, the remington is Chuck's. We're traveling together, should clear customs together. Should I have any problems? Going to Botswana through SA and Zim. So I'll be importing the guns into all three countries.
Thanks
TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, my only comment is it looks like a disaster finding a place to happen.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it that you really need an excuse to buy 3 new guns??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
When my Dad and I went to Namibia last year he carried my shotgun in his Tuffpak with his rifle, while I carried two rifles. The trick to smooth sailing was that he had my shotgun put on his Customs Form 4457, so as far as all were concerned (except him and me) it was his shotgun. You should "register" the Winchester and Remington and let your pal "register" the double. If you can arrange this, you should be good to go.

I don't think I'd try to carry a rifle that was listed on someone else's 4457 though.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Terry put both on your 4457 and let partner take the Kreigoff on a 4457...You have two and he has one....

Desertram did not read your post...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you need to be creative. My daughter and my wife both have 7x57mm rifles. I wanted to take my .375 and an o/u shotgun. The daughter is too young to get an RSA firearms license. The wife could not claim her rifle and my daughter's rifle because they are the same caliber. So her gun case and custom's form had one 7mm and the shotgun, and my gun case and custom's form had the other 7mm and the .375 and nobody complained or asked any questions.

So to answer your question get a custom's form for all three rifles and claim all three on your license. Then let Chuck borrow one of your rifles. The Remington of course. That should satisfy all parties concerned.

If you wind up in some small dark prison cell sitting in sewage and eating the bugs that you can catch please consider that I was just thinking out loud and never intended for you act on this.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Terry put both on your 4457 and let partner take the Kreigoff on a 4457...You have two and he has one....

Desertram did not read your post...

Mike

Confused Hmmm, I don't get it. My post seems to say the same thing yours does Mike, implying that I read his post as well as you. Just idle comments here, not an attack.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
DesertRam...we are both on the same wave length...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote