Find
Notify
Tools

Trip Insurance (pre) Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted
As many of you know I had to cancel my buffalo hunt to Mahenge with Mafigeni Safaris mid-September when I fell off a ladder breaking my pelvis Labor Day weekend.
Fortunately, I purchased trip insurance from CSA Travel Protection. I filed a claim for the entire cost of the safari, $11,800, in early October, 2005. In late November I received a phone call from a very nice lady named Kymm Wolfe at CSA saying they were processing the claim but needed "additional information" from Mafigeni. They also sent a letter with the same info. I called CSA Jan 6 for an update and was told the claim was "in Review". That evening when I got home I had a phone message saying the check had just missed that week's cutoff time and should go out "next week". Last night (Jan 10) I had another phone message from CSA telling me to "be expecting the check. It was mailed this morning."
All in all, a very pleasant experience with CSA, especially considering previous experience with car and health insurance companies.
I will post again when the check arrives.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
collecting from an insurance company?????????? I thought all they did was to collect premiums

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
collecting from an insurance company?????????? I thought all they did was to collect premiums

Me too, Butch. But, guess what? I just got home from work and lo and behold the friggin' check is here!
So, everyone, I have 2 things to say: 1) Buy trip insurance and 2) I recommend CSA (insuremytrip.com).
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Thanks for the headsup and very good information..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Would you share approx how much this coverage cost?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Would you share approx how much this coverage cost?

The policy for trip cancellation (total cost of trip excluding airfare $11,800), emergency medical, etc. was somewhere between $475-$495, something like that. I got several quotes from WWW.insuremytrip.com. Some were higher (a lot) some lower (not much). I was somewhat reluctant to pull the trigger (Hey! What's gonna happen to me?)at the time. But as a very good friend of my says, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans".
I hope this benefits someone out there.
Dave

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
did your policy include the total value of the trip i.e.: 11800, or just what you were out of pocked on a trip that was valued at 11800? which did they pay - the total value or just your out of pocket?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone could explain this trip insurance stuff to me!
I have an 8 yr degree an still can't make heads or tails of it!
I want medical coverage while in Namibia in the event of a broken bone, heart attack,etc. . I also want med evac to a hospital of my choice then stateside if needed.
I am not interested in coverage for my airfare nor deposit money to the safari company.
ANYONE with suggestions for that please fill me in....CLUELESS IN PA.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
I want medical coverage while in Namibia in the event of a broken bone, heart attack,etc. . I also want med evac to a hospital of my choice then stateside if needed.
I am not interested in coverage for my airfare nor deposit money to the safari company.

What in the heck would having an eight year degree have anything to do with you understanding how trip insurance works?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
did your policy include the total value of the trip i.e.: 11800, or just what you were out of pocked on a trip that was valued at 11800? which did they pay - the total value or just your out of pocket?

I'm sorry, but I don't fully understand your question. In my case, the total value and out of pocket are the same. They're only going to pay the coverage purchased and have documentation to support payment for, less any refund or credit by the trip/tour/safari operator. I don't mean to sound like a lawyer. I ain't one. Ask 500Grains if you want a legal opinion (OW! I couldn't help myself animal).

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:

What in the heck would having an eight year degree have anything to do with you understanding how trip insurance works?

8 yrs spent listening to fact spouting profs should've prepared me for wading thru this double talk. I know how insurance works but I also know enough about it to know you can be left holding the proverbial bag if your policy isn't written exactly for what you want.

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, you can hang around AR and get 200 "opinions" or you can go to http://www.insuremytrip.com or http://www.csatravelprotection.com, get the appropriate toll-free number and ask your questions to a human being. That's what I did. And, NO, I did not use a 45-70.
Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
really don't know where the comment about a 45-70 came from but I've gone to insuremytrip several times now. I have it narrowed down, but how does one know if the insurance company is a pain in the ass to deal with BEFORE I buy?

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
The "45-70" comment was part of an on-going gag here. I was merely being facetious.
Regarding the second part of your question, how does anyone know anything beforehand? You don't. I've shared my experience with one company and, as always, your mileage may vary. Once again, I recommend calling the companies and speaking to them.
I have to ask, though, what types of guarantees are you looking for? I sure wish I could have known what a pain in the ass my first wife was going to be before I married her! Smiler

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
guess I just want to know that IF I do need to file a claim the company won't try every weasel trick known to them to get out of paying.
guarrantees with women??? I've been married 4 times...nothing guarranteed but paying alimony Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cats,

It sound to me like all you want is medjet. If all you are worried about is health. Then medjet is it.. They have a great reputation..It also covers you 24-7 even if you are on a trip in the us outside of your local coverage area...

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote