New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cameroon vs CAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ahmed's great hunt in CAR has got me thinking of LDE and some of the other game unique to the area.I am wanting to compare CAR and Cameroon.I know that from the wealth of knowledge available here I can get some help in making a decision on which destination best suits my needs.So from those of you who have been there and know....

1)Is getting into and out of one of these easier from the US?I have heard of charter plane issues and Ahmed mentioned issues with his transfers.

2)Is the weather better in one country as opposed to another?Again, Ahmed mentioned rather pleasant weather on his trip to CAR but I have heard of stifling heat from these regions.

3)Bugs- I know that in tropical regions that bees, flies, gnats, etc. can be an issue.Is one country a better option or is it more of an issue as to when you go?

4) Is there a significant difference as to cost of hunting in Cameroon vs. CAR?

5)Safety/Political stability-Is one of these countries more dangerous to travel into than the other?

If anyone else would care to add their reasons for preferring one of these countries over the other ,please jump in.Glad to get a different perspective.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
MY EXPERIENCES AND RESEARCH FROM ONE TRIP TO CAMEROON AND NO TRIPS TO CAR ARE BELOW. HOWEVER, I AM DOING LDE IN CAR IN 2013 SO THE CAR COMMENTS FOLLOW MY INVESTIGATION AND DUE DILLIGENCE. OF COURSE, THERE WILL BE OTHER AND BETTER AUTHORITIES THAN I.

1)Is getting into and out of one of these easier from the US?I have heard of charter plane issues and Ahmed mentioned issues with his transfers.
CAMEROON HAS AN AIRLINE, CAMEROON AIRLINES (AKA AIR SOMETIMES) THAT FLIES AROUND THE COUNTY AND CAN GET YOU WITHIN A FEW HOURS DRIVE OF THE HUNTING AREA VIA GAROUA OR NGAUNDERE (SP). THUS NO CHARTER IS REQUIRED, WHICH CAN BE A BIG SAVINGS. ALSO, THERE ARE MORE FLIGHTS INTO DOUALA PER DAY AND PER WEEK THAN BAUGUI.

CONVERSELY, THERE IS NO AIRLINE OPERATING INTERNALLY IN CAR OTHER THAN PRIVATE CHARTER CRAFT. ALSO, THE FLIGHTS INTO THE COUNTRY ARE VERY LIMITED. AIR FRANCE FLIES IN ONCE PER WEEK. MOST HUNTS ARE ORGANIZED ON 7, 14, OR 21 DAY SCHEDULES TO FIT INTO AIR FRANCE'S SCHEDULE. ALSO, INCLUDING THE CHARTER COST IN THE PRICE IF THE HUNT IS COMMON IN CAR SICNE THE CHARTER IS THE ONLY REASONABLE WAY FOR THE CLIENT HUNTER TO GET FROM BANGUI TO CAMP.

2)Is the weather better in one country as opposed to another?Again, Ahmed mentioned rather pleasant weather on his trip to CAR but I have heard of stifling heat from these regions.
IT IS GETTING HOTTER BY THE DAY. BY MARCH AND APRIL, IT IS HELLA HOT. I WAS IN CAM IN MARCH AND IT WAS 110 TO 115 SEVERAL DAYS. HOWEVER, IT WAS A DRY HEAT Wink

3)Bugs- I know that in tropical regions that bees, flies, gnats, etc. can be an issue.Is one country a better option or is it more of an issue as to when you go?
THERE WERE LOTS OF MOPANE BEES, GNATS, ETC IN CAMEROON. I EXECT THE SAME IN CAR

NEITHER IS CHEAP AND ON AVERAGE, PRETTY CLOSE TO THE SAME COST WHEN YOU FIGURE YOUR CAR HUNT LIKELY INCLUDES A PRIVATE CHARTER. ALSO, CAR ALLOWS YOU TO SHOOT MORE ON YOUR LICENSE. IN CAM YOU HAVE A TOTAL OF 6 ANIMALS ON LICENSE AND YOU MUST SELECT FROM ROAN OR BUFFALO BUT NOT BOTH. IN CAR YOU CAN OFTEN SHOOT LDE, TWO BUFFFALOES, ROAN, YELLOWBACK AND A HOST OF OTHER GAME ON A SINGLE LICENSE. THE OTHER BIG PLUS FOR CAR IS THAT YOU MIGHT HUNT AN AREA WHERE YOU CAN SHOOT BONGO AND LDE ON ONE SAFARI. WHILE EXPENSIVE, IT WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN SEPERATE HUNTS FOR BONGO AND LDE.

5)Safety/Political stability-Is one of these countries more dangerous to travel into than the other?
BOTH HAVE A HISTORY OF DISPLACED PERSONS FROM NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE BORDER, BUT CAR IS MORE KNOWN FOR THIS ISSUE LIKELY BECAUSE OF NEIGHBORING SOME UNSAFE COUNTRIES AND ITS VERY VERY LOW POPULATION DENSITY. BOTH ALSO HAVE PLENTY OF HOMEGROWN CRIMINALS THAT MIGHT STICK YOU UP, HIJACK A SUPPLY CONVOY, ETC, ETC, ETC. CAR ALSO HAS (AT TIMES) SUDANEESE POACHERS COMING ACROSS THE BORDER TO POACH ELEPHANTS

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
MY EXPERIENCES AND RESEARCH FROM ONE TRIP TO CAMEROON AND NO TRIPS TO CAR ARE BELOW. HOWEVER, I AM DOING LDE IN CAR IN 2013 SO THE CAR COMMENTS FOLLOW MY INVESTIGATION AND DUE DILLIGENCE. OF COURSE, THERE WILL BE OTHER AND BETTER AUTHORITIES THAN I.

CAMEROON HAS AN AIRLINE, CAMEROON AIRLINES (AKA AIR SOMETIMES) THAT FLIES AROUND THE COUNTY AND CAN GET YOU WITHIN A FEW HOURS DRIVE OF THE HUNTING AREA VIA GAROUA OR NGAUNDERE (SP). THUS NO CHARTER IS REQUIRED, WHICH CAN BE A BIG SAVINGS. ALSO, THERE ARE MORE FLIGHTS INTO DOUALA PER DAY AND PER WEEK THAN BAUGUI.

CONVERSELY, THERE IS NO AIRLINE OPERATING INTERNALLY IN CAR OTHER THAN PRIVATE CHARTER CRAFT. ALSO, THE FLIGHTS INTO THE COUNTRY ARE VERY LIMITED. AIR FRANCE FLIES IN ONCE PER WEEK. MOST HUNTS ARE ORGANIZED ON 7, 14, OR 21 DAY SCHEDULES TO FIT INTO AIR FRANCE'S SCHEDULE. ALSO, INCLUDING THE CHARTER COST IN THE PRICE IF THE HUNT IS COMMON IN CAR SICNE THE CHARTER IS THE ONLY REASONABLE WAY FOR THE CLIENT HUNTER TO GET FROM BANGUI TO CAMP.

IT IS GETTING HOTTER BY THE DAY. BY MARCH AND APRIL, IT IS HELLA HOT. I WAS IN CAM IN MARCH AND IT WAS 110 TO 115 SEVERAL DAYS. HOWEVER, IT WAS A DRY HEAT Wink

THERE WERE LOTS OF MOPANE BEES, GNATS, ETC IN CAMEROON. I EXECT THE SAME IN CAR

NEITHER IS CHEAP AND ON AVERAGE, PRETTY CLOSE TO THE SAME COST WHEN YOU FIGURE YOUR CAR HUNT LIKELY INCLUDES A PRIVATE CHARTER. ALSO, CAR ALLOWS YOU TO SHOOT MORE ON YOUR LICENSE. IN CAM YOU HAVE A TOTAL OF 6 ANIMALS ON LICENSE AND YOU MUST SELECT FROM ROAN OR BUFFALO BUT NOT BOTH. IN CAR YOU CAN OFTEN SHOOT LDE, TWO BUFFFALOES, ROAN, YELLOWBACK AND A HOST OF OTHER GAME ON A SINGLE LICENSE. THE OTHER BIG PLUS FOR CAR IS THAT YOU MIGHT HUNT AN AREA WHERE YOU CAN SHOOT BONGO AND LDE ON ONE SAFARI. WHILE EXPENSIVE, IT WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN SEPERATE HUNTS FOR BONGO AND LDE.

BOTH HAVE A HISTORY OF DISPLACED PERSONS FROM NEIGHBORING COUNTRIES BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE BORDER, BUT CAR IS MORE KNOWN FOR THIS ISSUE LIKELY BECAUSE OF NEIGHBORING SOME UNSAFE COUNTRIES AND ITS VERY VERY LOW POPULATION DENSITY. BOTH ALSO HAVE PLENTY OF HOMEGROWN CRIMINALS THAT MIGHT STICK YOU UP, HIJACK A SUPPLY CONVOY, ETC, ETC, ETC. CAR ALSO HAS (AT TIMES) SUDANEESE POACHERS COMING ACROSS THE BORDER TO POACH ELEPHANTS

To add just a bit to Will's info, as it pertains to CAR. Ethiopia Air (EA) now flys 4 times per week into Bangui from Addis Ababa, and you can fly direct to Addis from D.C., on EA. I've done it before, and the flight was just fine.

Bugs/bees, yep bad in CAR too. I was last there in Feb-March 2007. We saw average temps of 105 degrees, but will get hotter as it gets into March/April. As Will mentions however, its a fairly dry heat.

I'm going back in April 2011, for a 21-day hunt. Again, as Will mentions charters are not cheap. Mine will be $4,000 - $5,000RT, but I will get to hunt LDE/Bongo on the same hunt.

The right outfitter/location will make all the difference, IMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc

To answer some of your questions we need to know if you are considering a savanah hunt for LDE or forest hunt for bongo. The conditions you'll encounter are far different between these two areas.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc,

I've only hunted in CAR and both times thoroughly enjoyed it. I was lucky enough to take bongo, lde, giant forest hog, yellow back duiker, buffalo, etc.
One of my trips was in April and the other end of May. Both were hot. Each time we hunted both the savanahs and forests. Getting to either was no problem.

In checking prices I found Cameroon to be much higher and more limited on game. CAR does have their share of bees and tsetse but the tsetse only come out in the last hour of the day. I also never felt in any sort of danger while there regardless of what the state dept. posts.

I would recommend you contact Erik with CAWA (Central Africa Wildlife Adventures). His email is e.mararv@uuplus.com. He is the owner (Swedish but still a really good guy Smiler ).

I think I took something like 15 different animals from both trips. Still waiting on the taxidermy bill...

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark-Because of the logistical difficulties involved I would prefer one of the hunts where both LDE and Bongo may be taken on the same hunt. SmilerNot saying I won't get back again later but you never know.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote