THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: PH's incident report on buffalo goring
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: PH's incident report on buffalo goring
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've been thinking about all this today while dangling from a ladder while painting the house.

And almost having a death defying fall.

Quote:

It seems to some that getting a 2500 word story published in Safari magazine is an even trade with almost getting killed by a wounded buffalo.

And selling bullets too.

Bill, how true. I think a lot of these charges in "stories" lead to a lot of lack of credibility in the author. Pity about the ones that only write true stories.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The mention of the shot low in the chest reminds me of one of my own hunts, in whish we almost had a charge.

We saw a herd lying in the shade of some trees while driving. We continued driving until we were some distance from them. Stopped the truck and went back to try and shoot one of the bulls.

The wind was right, so we managed to get to about 50 yards of them. My PH picked the one to shoot. They were above us on a hillside, and I could clearly see part of his chest. I put a 300 grain Barnes X bullet low in the chest, thinking the angle was steep enough for the bullet to go through the heart.

The whole herd took off, with us close behind. Our bull and two or three others went to the left, into a valley, while the rest of the herd went to the right.

I fired two shots at him while he was running away from us in that valley, hitting him both times - I was using solids for these shots.

He showed absolutely no sign of being hit at all.

They stopped at the other edge of the valley, which was over 200 yards way.

I fired another shot at him, hitting him in the spine, and he dropped.

We crossed the valley, and approached him from behind. He was lying with his head to our left, and his back towards us. As we usually do in this sort of situation, we stopped about 15 yards from him, and were about to through a rock at him.

He must have heard us talking, as he tried to get up, and by the looks of it, putting every last bit of what was left of his life into this effort. If his spine was not broken, I am sure he would have charged us.

I put another bullet into the back of his head.

I have shot so many buffalo that die from one shot when hit in the right place.

I have aseen quite a number of buffalo that were not hit right the first time, show an incredible resistance to bullets.

It is most unnerving to put bullet after bullet into a standing bull, and him showing absolutley no sign of any effects these bullets on him.

After a number of these incidents, I made it a point to just shoot them in the head.

So far this has worked every single time.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the reasons that I'm taking a photo safari first. I want to make sure I feel comfortable with my gun(s), my surroundings, etc. I don't see it as wussing out -- just knowing what I can and can't do and under what circumstances. Please understand I don't think Nicki did anything wrong! I just mean for me I need to do a little reconnaissance.

Good luck to Nicki!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Will:

It seems to some that getting a 2500 word story published in Safari magazine is an even trade with almost getting killed by a wounded buffalo.

That is an unfair accusation to make against the Atchesons.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM, YOU DORK!

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All ... This thread was intended to provide an avenue from which to express our concern for a fellow hunter and extend our wishes for a strong recovery. Surely, there's much we don't yet know but, please, let's await the facts prior to going off on tangents and address them in a separate thread, upon arrival.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What's a "wuss"? jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Someone who's afraid to come right out and say what he means Jorge.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

wuss: A person regarded as weak or timid and especially as unmanly: �Cats are for wusses, dog men say.� [Probably blend of wimp, and pussy.]

Source: http://www.dictionary.com/

(Edited to add the salutation to Jorge. Also, Nickudu took offense to my post, as relayed to me via a PM from him, as he thought my posting of the definition of "wuss" was aimed at him as a reply to his post. It was not. I was simply answering Jorge's question. Nickudu and I have sense gotten this straightened out between us via PMs. Life goes on. )

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

How often do you shoot a FMJ rather than your 300 gr Barnes X?

I would think it would be adequate even for a follow up shot with the buffalo going away, and better for breaking the hip, or rear leg bones than a FMJ?

As for stopping the buffalo, surely in this situation only a hit to the CNS would be effective, and a 30 caliber or 375 would have done as well or better than a .458 Lott since they are easier to shoot quickly.

I saw a police video tape recently of a bank robber who was shot in the heart with a 9mm 147 gr JHP (which is a very good bullet) plus several other peripheral hits, and he
stayed on his feet for more than a minute and continued to shoot, take cover, and move while continuing to shoot at officers!

He finally ran out of blood to his brain, sat down, and "went to sleep."

Do you guys practice head shots like IPSC shooters do?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
afraid? or concientious? Sorry, just couldn't help myself. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't use solids any more except for elephants.

At that time, as we have already shot two elephants, I just wanted to use the solids.

I have found that the Barnes X and our own Walterhog bullets penetrate just as well as solids.

I have no idea how the IPSC guys do it, but I just aim to put the bullet in the center of the brain.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All ... This thread was intended to provide an avenue from which to express our concern for a fellow hunter and extend our wishes for a strong recovery. Surely, there's much we don't yet know but, please, let's await the facts prior to going off on tangents and address them in a separate thread, upon arrival.

Quite true, Nick.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Date: 07/06/04 18:13:44
To: Kathi Klimes
Subject: Re: Fw: Graham-Incident Report on Buffalo

Dear Kathi

Niki was using a .458 her first shot was behind the shoulder but low on the brisket.

George the PH was using a .416 Rigby and Keith a .416 Remington

best regards

Graham

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Do you know if the hunters involved were using soft points or FMJ's?

In particular, was the first shot with a soft or solid bullet?

While there is no such thing as a "magic bullet," (or rifle caliber), a soft point certainly has a larger margin for error than a FMJ on a low shot near the heart.

I read this report and thought to myself, "There but for the grace of God, go you or I."

It could happen to anyone.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Will said...

There seems to be some romantic attachment placed on getting hurt these days, whether on TV shows or when hunting DG. I have nightmares just from charging elephant. I would hate to think how bad nightmares get after getting whacked.

It seems to some that getting a 2500 word story published in Safari magazine is an even trade with almost getting killed by a wounded buffalo. I would hope that that is not the point of the story.

Will, I just thought I'd mention that I understood your post here when I first read it and I see what you mean.

Some people sitting in their comfortable living room might read about Niki and think, "How cool - getting hit by a Cape Buffalo and surviving - what a story to tell your grandchildren!"

Let them tell Niki and Keith that.

As this story follows her for the rest of her life, the adventure aspect of it will awe the listeners, but only Niki will be able to relive the nightmare of pain and agony and weeks in the hospital.

Just had to clear the air.

I saw nothing whatsoever in your post that sounded like an accusation of Niki.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I saw nothing whatsoever in your post that sounded like an accusation of Niki.

Me neither.

Hell bells the woman is/was in hospital after not being charged but actually hit by a buffalo.

Far different from many articles where the death defying charge is stopped by a .45/70 with super slow hard cast flat point mesplatt bullets.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500groans was just being a dork. No need for anybody to get their panties in a sanctimonious knot.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I'm new around here, so easy does it - OK? I've actually come onto this list to specifically add to this thread, of which I became aware on Tuesday night. And my post is not really in reply to a specific post, but to the thread.

I am from and in South Africa, living in Pretoria - about 60km from the hospital where Niki WAS in.

Niki and Keith should be close to home right now - they were supposed to fly out last night from Johannesburg International Airport. I didn't phone the number I've got again to confirm, so I trust they're out.

I have known Niki via the 'net for a couple of years now, corresponding here and there. Before seeing her in hospital lying flat on her back I never laid eyes on her before. Seen photos yes, but not in the flesh.

And before I get to more details of the incident itself, I must say that Niki knew what it was all about, and what she was getting herself into, and also that she was capable of standing up to it. She's shot her fair share of buffalo � I'm not sure how many, but I know there's a number. And also she's got guts. Anybody know about her pig-sticking adventures, the traditional way? In with the dogs, then onto the back of the pig in that melee and stick the thing with a knife � that's Niki.

When I asked how big this dagha boy was her words were also that she doesn't care too much about the trophy size or such, but much rather about how good and exciting a hunt it is. I obviously replied that she probably didn't bargain on it being all THIS exiting a hunt!

I visited them in hospital last Saturday, after speaking to Keith on the phone quite a number of times to keep abreast of Niki's progress, and spent an enjoyable time around them.

I'll let them fill in all the details when they're back up and running. I'll just fill in one or two of the things mentioned/asked here. BTW, I'm actually glad that somebody answered the question of the rifles, because I later realised that we discussed the hunt, events and other things, but never spoke about the rifles used � not important at that time.

Niki got off a shot before the buff hit her � into the ground. The buff's nose took her rifle on the muzzle before she could fully bring it up, and then she didn't have any more time. Let me backtrack a bit.

They were going in, the tracker in front, then the PH, Niki and Keith bringing up the rear. Niki was to cover the tracker. Momentarily took her eyes off him to the ground to look for spoor when all hell broke loose. PH got in a shot stepping aside (I see his report says two � Keith probably didn't hear the second one) and then the buff hit Niki. Took her back into the thick brush and worked on her, then tossed her, and then worked her over again when she came down. All this time PH and Keith were shooting � Keith showed he was about a foot from the back-end of the buff.

As Keith chambered his last round the buff took note that something unsavoury was happening at his rear and flipped around, looking at Keith with murder written all over his face � from about four feet. Keith brained him; he tottered back a step or three and collapsed � right on top of Niki. And those of you who've seen Niki know that there's not a lot of her to start with in the first place.

Well, enough from me now. And if the English is not too good I've at least got a good excuse � I'm Afrikaans

Posts: 1 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 08 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing.

And welcome to the forums.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Marius

Thanks for the comments.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Howdy Marius,

And welcome to AR. Thanks for the details from Keith & Niki.

For those that don't know him, he is a good guy -- you can also find him moderating on Sniper Country.

"buy-a donkey"

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There seems to be some romantic attachment placed on getting hurt these days, whether on TV shows or when hunting DG. I have nightmares just from charging elephant. I would hate to think how bad nightmares get after getting whacked.

It seems to some that getting a 2500 word story published in Safari magazine is an even trade with almost getting killed by a wounded buffalo. I would hope that that is not the point of the story.

You keep calling this an accusation. It is not. It is an observation. Will has plainly stated said observation has nothing to do with the Atchesons.

Who are you to demand Will retract anything he has to say here about anything?

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Will:

David, you said that is an "observation".

Who almost got killed by a buffalo?

Who wrote an article for Safari magazine?

Whose "story" is being told in this thread?

So who is this "observation" about?

After the fact Will says he is not talking about the Atchesons but the shoe does not fit anyone else. Frankly, I think he shot from the hip at some upstanding folks and it was not appropriate. He should behave honorably and retract his accusation.

That is all I have to say on this issue. Best wishes.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can we stop the squabbling and send Niki some flowers instead? She likes orchids.

Here's the address again:

Niki Atcheson
JACK ATCHESON & SONS, INC.
3210 OTTAWA STREET
BUTTE, MT 59701

Just do a google search on "send flowers Butte MT" and you'll get all the addresses you need.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote