THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A new sundowner after a hard day of hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new sundowner after a hard day of hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shebeens selling cough syrup
19/06/2005 13:04 - (SA)

Harare - Desperate for beer, Zimbabweans are turning to cough medicine as a substitute for alcohol, the state-run Sunday Mail reported.

A local cough medicine that is readily available in Harare's pharmacies is being used in shebeens and nightclubs in the capital, the paper reported.

It said the medicine is often drunk diluted in soft drinks.

Beer has joined a growing list of goods now in short supply in Zimbabwe. Manufacturers blame the shortage of foreign currency for their inability to import essential ingredients.

The newspaper said that most shebeen owners were now selling the cough mixture which is proving to be popular with many.

But a medical expert warned of the danger of addiction and tooth decay.

Along with beer, sugar, maize meal, cooking oil, bread, milk and fuel are all in short supply. Many Zimbabweans spend hours queuing for scarce commodities where they are available.

The government of President Robert Mugabe says widespread corruption is partly to blame for the foreign currency shortages. - Sapa-dpa

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Methylated Spirits is worth a try too.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
When I was in the service, we had a guy in our barracks who, after the local bars closed for the night, would stop in one of the local all night convenience stores to buy a couple of bottles of Aqua Velva after shave to drink. At least when he threw up it didn't stink as bad eek2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeh416Rigby:
When I was in the service, we had a guy in our barracks who, after the local bars closed for the night, would stop in one of the local all night convenience stores to buy a couple of bottles of Aqua Velva after shave to drink. At least when he threw up it didn't stink as bad eek2

There's something about an Aqua Velva man! beer

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
The government of President Robert Mugabe says widespread corruption is partly to blame for the foreign currency shortages. - Sapa-dpa

I'm sure that here is a serious reporting error! Surely it is the widespread corruption amongs the white minority and opposition party memeber who are responsible for the troubles of the country?

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shortage of Beer!!!

Why that's communisim through and through.

Thank goodness most of us live in free countries where not only is beer available, it's a God Given right!

Posts: 17 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It ain't the alcohol content, its the codeine in the cough syrup that gets ya..........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Haven't they heard about shine? I know they're a 3rd would nation, but so is Tennnesse. Wink

Someone please send them this link:http://www.ibiblio.org/moonshine/make/make.html

beer

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always found that Aqua net hair spray filtered through a peice of bread is just the ticket for a case of the DT's. beer

In all seriousness do you guys think that a mass case of of the DTs may just be the lighter that ignites the dynamite?

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
If it wasn't so hard to get, sniffing petrol (gasoline) would also help them get 'off their heads'.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote