THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    375 H&H 270 gr. Hornady Interlock RN in plains game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H 270 gr. Hornady Interlock RN in plains game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody try the Hornady 270 gr. bullet in the .375 H&H in plains game? How does it perform?

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Jabali my first question is is it hand or factory loads?
i have used the 300gr interlock very successfully at almost 2400f/sec it has never let me down i will not use it for dg but plainsgame it works well.

they do not like speed so i will rather use the 300gr instead of the 270gr and below 2500f/sec i have used it in the kalahari aswell with out any problems i zero at 100m and i have a 6" drop at 200m.

i know safari hunt uses the 270gr so ask him aswell

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
The 300 gr Hornady RN Interlock is one of my favorite bullets and is good for any of the plains game. In July I will be using it for Lioness as well. While I haven't used the 270 gr Hornady, I don't know why it would not work just fine. I would try the 300 gr as well and then use the one that is most accurate. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
Jabali my first question is is it hand or factory loads?
i have used the 300gr interlock very successfully at almost 2400f/sec it has never let me down i will not use it for dg but plainsgame it works well.

they do not like speed so i will rather use the 300gr instead of the 270gr and below 2500f/sec i have used it in the kalahari aswell with out any problems i zero at 100m and i have a 6" drop at 200m.

i know safari hunt uses the 270gr so ask him aswell

Hey Fanatic, do you belive Interlocks are on de "soft" side of the spectrum, or are made for big game as buffalos?, if there are kind of soft I prefer handloading them at top speed for lighter game. Give me your opinion

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using the 270 gr. Hornadys in June for plainsgame all the way up to eland; I'll report my results.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Frank

Don't do it! I used the Hornaday 270gr sp and had poor penetration. On broadside shots the bullets were found inside the ribcage on Kudu, Gemsbok and Hartebeest.

I had better pernetration on the same animals using 180 Rem Coreloct from a 30-06.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason: That's good information; I'm using IMR-4064 powder with my loads. What loading info do you have for the 270 gr. bullet (& what powder) ? I also have quite a few 270 gr. Swift A-Frames that I can load & take. Any help would be appreciated ...... thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Interlocks but A-Frames are the best. Why take anything else, except maybe Partitions?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
First safari used a 375 on all plainsgame...Shooting Hornady 300gr spire points.. Had complete pass thru on wildebeaste, zebra, shot kudu's leg off after a pass thru and downward angle shot...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Try the 270 SAF with book loads of R-15. I'm pushing the envelope but I get 2800 FPS. This is a smokin' plains game/leopard load.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jabali:

Hey Fanatic, do you belive Interlocks are on de "soft" side of the spectrum, or are made for big game as buffalos?, if there are kind of soft I prefer handloading them at top speed for lighter game. Give me your opinion

they are to soft for dangerous game my best weight retention on large antelopes is 60% and my worst about 20% but it has killed everything so far. the interbond is a better bullet we havent recovered one yet but the price is rediculious here in SA. My interlock reloads is 40% of the price of factory ammo.

Im currently working on GSC loads and i must tell you that im very impressed with their performance

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Jbrown and all others,

I dont shoot a .375, so I cannot speak about and specific bullet in that caliber. What one must realize that if you found the bullet , it performed well enough! WinkForget weight retention, if you can measure it, the bullet killed the animal for you to find the bullet. Wink If you find the bullet inside the chest cavity, the bullet killed the animal for you to find it! Wink

Yes, it is nice to get complete passthrough with proper expansion as shown by a B-I-G exit hole, to let out a lot of blood. :dancing

But just killing the animal is mostly good enough bullet performance!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
Jbrown and all others,

I dont shoot a .375, so I cannot speak about and specific bullet in that caliber. What one must realize that if you found the bullet , it performed well enough! WinkForget weight retention, if you can measure it, the bullet killed the animal for you to find the bullet. Wink If you find the bullet inside the chest cavity, the bullet killed the animal for you to find it! Wink

Yes, it is nice to get complete passthrough with proper expansion as shown by a B-I-G exit hole, to let out a lot of blood. :dancing

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

ANDREW: I totally agree with you. I don´t care about find a perfect musroom, I only care about normal penetration and rapid killing.

I think there´s a lot of influence on advertisment in that issue, and "if the bullet doesn´t retain 90% of the original weight is not good, or not a premium one".

Of course, if you pick up the bullet is because the animal is death, or you can ask "in which part of the death of an animal the bullet fail", like one time someone ask.

I use Hornady for many many years in my .270, some times I recover de bullet "in good shape", and some times in shatters, but always with a tremendous result in killing power, and this is my only concern.

I ask about the 270 gr. in .375 because I´m looking for the same result.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot mainly Hornadys on the range. I have used the 300 grain A Frame on plains game out to 300 yards from my .375 with superior results. I would feel very comfortable doing the same with 270 A Frames. The Hornadys are cheap to shoot and leave a lot of copper fouling in my rifle. The A Frames (in bulk) are more than twice the cost of the Hornadys, but remember that the price of ammo is one of the cheapest factors involved in a hunt. I would definitely choose the A Frame in either weight, and press on.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
I shoot mainly Hornadys on the range. I have used the 300 grain A Frame on plains game out to 300 yards from my .375 with superior results. I would feel very comfortable doing the same with 270 A Frames. The Hornadys are cheap to shoot and leave a lot of copper fouling in my rifle. The A Frames (in bulk) are more than twice the cost of the Hornadys, but remember that the price of ammo is one of the cheapest factors involved in a hunt. I would definitely choose the A Frame in either weight, and press on.

Shure bullets are the cheapest item in hunting, but Iám living in Argentina, and here is impossible to find diffrent brands of ammo, you have to survive with what you find in the shop!! Totally diffrent story in USA!

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
They will be fine the most important thing is the speed keep it below 2500f/sec i use the 180gr in my 308 and 300 in my 375
375 2390f/sec and 308 at 2350f/sec

this wildebeest was taken at 180m it penetrated through both shoulders

this zebra was taken at 155m frontal chest shot i didnt recover the bullet it just shows you what the hornady 300gr can do

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
They will be fine the most important thing is the speed keep it below 2500f/sec i use the 180gr in my 308 and 300 in my 375
375 2390f/sec and 308 at 2350f/sec

this wildebeest was taken at 180m it penetrated through both shoulders

this zebra was taken at 155m frontal chest shot i didnt recover the bullet it just shows you what the hornady 300gr can do

Please, tell me about what kind of powder, and how many grains you are unsing in this charge.

I want to say I have never had any problems with Hornady, and I using them for a long time both in my .338 winchester (225 gr.) and .270 (130 gr.), they´re devastating on game, real killers, thats what I want to try in the .375

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Jabali

i use 62gr S335 (sonchem) powder with a magnum primer and the 300gr hornady interlock/interbond they shoot the same spot you will see that it is at sonchems minimum load i get a 1 moa group with it.

does anybody know what american powder is the same as s335?

posted Hide Post
I have had wonderful results with the Hornady 270gr RN #3715 in my 375H+H. I remember reading that this bullets profile closely matched that of the early Kynoch bullet. I figured that shape helped make the 375's reputation. I am very happy that I made that decision. I load 79.0 gr of W760 for 2612 fps in my CZ 550. In 2003, I was able to harvest 15 animals with 17 rounds fired. 12 of those were taken in the Eastern Cape. The most impressive performance was an 80 yard quartering shot on a Black Wildebeest; It entered the right hip, passed through a full stomach, and exited the left shoulder. The other 3 animals were taken in Zimbabwe near Hwange. They included a Zebra, Kudu, and Blue Wildebeest. The Blue Wildebeest took two rounds, but one would have probably sufficed. The Kudu took two due to shooter error. I cannot speak well enough of the Hornady #3715 in the 375H+H.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jbrown and all others,

I dont shoot a .375, so I cannot speak about and specific bullet in that caliber. What one must realize that if you found the bullet , it performed well enough! Forget weight retention, if you can measure it, the bullet killed the animal for you to find the bullet. If you find the bullet inside the chest cavity, the bullet killed the animal for you to find it!

In good hunting.

Andrew McL

quote:
If you find the bullet inside the chest cavity, the bullet killed the animal for you to find it!

True, but not much margin for error!

If you want to use a bullet that won't penetrate the off side ribcage on a broadside shot be my guest.

What will be the effect if the animal is quartering away?

Jason

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Jbrown and all others,

I dont shoot a .375, so I cannot speak about and specific bullet in that caliber. What one must realize that if you found the bullet , it performed well enough! Forget weight retention, if you can measure it, the bullet killed the animal for you to find the bullet. If you find the bullet inside the chest cavity, the bullet killed the animal for you to find it!

In good hunting.

Andrew McL

quote:
If you find the bullet inside the chest cavity, the bullet killed the animal for you to find it!

True, but not much margin for error!

If you want to use a bullet that won't penetrate the off side ribcage on a broadside shot be my guest.

What will be the effect if the animal is quartering away?

Jason

I have never witness a bullet exploding o cratering in game -speaking of course right caliber for animal-, all this came for te past, when some bullets fail, broken or exploading, but this is a very old story.

Today the bullets are better than ever, and unless you use a varmint bullet for big game, you will kill and fast.

For deers, boars o plains game I prefer soft, rapid expansion bullets, and I only use so call "premium" bullets -bonded, fail safe,etc.- when I´ll use a light caliber for the quarry I´ll looking for, for example .270 on Moose, for the rest gimme power points, sierra game king, o hornady, not Barnes.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never witness a bullet exploding o cratering in game -speaking of course right caliber for animal

Whoa! I think you misread what I wrote.
quote:

I never said anything about expolding or cratering. In fact the bullets looked perfect and retained about 75% of their weight.

The bullets I spoke of went throught the chest cavity and were found against the inside of the ribcage(on the far side of the chest cavity).

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever trying a bullet in the .375 that wouldn't kill plainsgame with aplomb, I think Will is right, some of us live on a different planet!!

A .270 Hornady may not be my first choice, but I have killed a ton of plainsgame, and US deer and elk with them, and never a problem. I am not sure there is any such thing as 270 grs. of failure at 2700 FPS, except perhaps in la la stir internet land! killpc

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't recall ever trying a bullet in the .375 that wouldn't kill plainsgame with aplomb, I think Will is right, some of us live on a different planet!!

A .270 Hornady may not be my first choice, but I have killed a ton of plainsgame, and US deer and elk with them, and never a problem. I am not sure there is any such thing as 270 grs. of failure at 2700 FPS, except perhaps in la la internet land!

Ray
I'll post some photos for those of you who can't read.
Big Grin
I never said the bullets "failed". Only that the penetration was poor. They worked well on 400 pound through 700 pound plains game, but I would not use then on an animal such as an Eland that weighs two three times that much. That was what I was advising Frank Beller about.

If a 270gr Hornaday can't get through the offside ribs on a 400 lb Hartebeest on a broad-side shot would you want to use one on a less than perfect presentation on an 1800 pound Eland?

And Ray, I thought you liked more penetration rather than less.........
quote:
The softs always come to rest fully expanded on the off side skin...

I prefer the full penetration and two holes that I usually get with the cup point..however being a dyed in the wool bullet digger, I don't get to dig much with the cup points unless I shoot them end to end and sometimes thats a pass through.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-326-4120
www.atkinsonhunting.com
ray@atkinsonhunting.com

but I guess you have changed your meds since then.
rotflmo

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

A .270 Hornady may not be my first choice, but I have killed a ton of plainsgame, and US deer and elk with them, and never a problem. I am not sure there is any such thing as 270 grs. of failure at 2700 FPS, except perhaps in la la internet land!

Ray
I'll post some photos for those of you who can't read.
Big Grin
I never said the bullets "failed". Only that the penetration was poor. They worked well on 400 pound through 700 pound plains game, but I would not use then on an animal such as an Eland that weighs two three times that much. That was what I was advising Frank Beller about.

If a 270gr Hornaday can't get through the offside ribs on a 400 lb Hartebeest on a broad-side shot would you want to use one on a less than perfect presentation on an 1800 pound Eland?

And Ray, I thought you liked more penetration rather than less.........
quote:
The softs always come to rest fully expanded on the off side skin...

I prefer the full penetration and two holes that I usually get with the cup point..however being a dyed in the wool bullet digger, I don't get to dig much with the cup points unless I shoot them end to end and sometimes thats a pass through.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-326-4120
www.atkinsonhunting.com
ray@atkinsonhunting.com

but I guess you have changed your meds since then.
rotflmo

Jason

For me, two holes are the same as one.....if you recover your game.

In my experience -always speaking of plains game- 2 holes genaeraly means you don´t get any bone, and the bullet have past thru the animal -unless using a very hard bullet or solid, or too much caliber for the game yo`re intended-. And if with your shoot you strike any solid bone in the chest, you will find the animal in the spot, or very near.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me, two holes are the same as one.....if you recover your game.

On broadside shots:

If I find the bullet under the off-side skin I am happy with the bullet's performance.

If the bullet doesn't make it through the off-side ribcage I begin to worry that this bullet might fail on shots that require more penetration, such as quarting away, etc.

Jason

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do like two holes, but I can name you a lot of bullets that don't always make two holes, such as the famed Swifts, Corelokts, Silvertips, Northforks, and they are all good bullets..

I do like a lot of penetration, BUT I know that a bullet that expends all its energy in an animal is a killer and works well indeed, does more internal damage, but does not leave as good a blood trail, thus I choose the penetrator most of the time...

Everything is not black and white when it comes to bullets and as with many things there are two sides to the coin, so IMO your quotes are bordering on nitpicking old boy! wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote