New
Find
Notify
Tools

cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with Zero-Halliburton cases. I always travel with two rifles and I have been using a Pelican case for several years...It's just too damn heavy!! I have heard the zero's are very light..Please share with me your experiences with this case or any other you reccomend..Dangerous Dave

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
If you want the best travel case for rifles in the business, pick up a Tuffpak. AR member HARRY has them for sale. I used to use Pelican's, and sold them for years. They're wonderful, but the Tuffpak is wonderful squared.

Just my $.02 worth, but I won't be without one ever again. If you want a replacement Pelican, though, drop me a line. I have about 6 of the things I'm getting rid of, used, for a very good price. . . .

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dittos on the Pelican cases.

I went to the Milspec. Starlight cases - a tad bit finicky to close, but the sizing and protection are excellent.

Got mine at Sam's for 110 bucks!

They have served faithfully!

Jeff

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the pelican offers the most protection - even compared to aluminum cases. You might consider the pelican with the wheels.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave:

I have a double rifle Zero Halliburton case that I bought in 1982. It was marketed by Weatherby at that time.

It is light and classy looking but dented on the corners fairly easily. It does not have wheels and the locking mechanism is a pretty poor excuse. A luggage type 3 number center deal. I ended putting a chain around the case and through the handle and padlocked for extra security. I found a padded cordura slip cover from Browning and this has helped protect it.

At the time, it seemed like the best thing available and was not cheap.

I would not buy another one. I would definitely get a Tuff Pak as they are more versatile but if you want an aluminum case look at the Cabelas models as they are better constructed and you can get wheels on most models.

I currently use the Zero case but for my next trip to Africa, I will be purchasing a Tuff Pak.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Personally, I think the pelican offers the most protection - even compared to aluminum cases. You might consider the pelican with the wheels.

Back in 1998 I let my buddy borrow my rifle in the pelican case.Air France managed to break one of the hinges.Not only did I get a brand new Pelican it was a newer model with wheels.With a replacement guarantee I am a firm believer in Pelican Products.I bought a Pelican 1610 to use as a suitcase.I have no trouble with the two wheeled cases.With airport personel opening cases and not paying attention when they close them you could end up with a Zero Halliburton that wont close and latch.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This dog has been beat to death...when you want the best...call me...I will send you a Tuffpak and your worries are over. Just ask the traveler that owns one.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Tuffpacks are the way to go, you do need to give Harry a call......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Now I am not knocking the tuffpak, but I am not totally sold on the cases. they really look like unless you cram them really tight you could get some serious movement of your guns, and even in soft cases you could sustain serious damadge when the airline apes get a hold of them?

I have used the pelicans and the skb cases in plastic and the kalispel aluminum and have been more then satisied with all three on many trips. There are a lot of people really talking up the tuffpak, maybe i'm missing something. JJ

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajcj:
...they really look like unless you cram them really tight you could get some serious movement of your guns...

ditto

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
If all you want to do is just carry a gun then maybe you should stick with just those but...it you wish to carry a gun (s) and gear...then you best get a real case like Tuffpak.
If you are worried you are going to beat your firearms up in the soft cases just put in a roll of egg crate foam.
Tuffpak is made for the serious hunter going someplace under harsh conditions...lots of air travel, rough ground transportation etc. It is not for just running to the range or the a quickie to the lease. The damn thing is meant to haul firearms and loads of hunting gear inside one protective container. We have tried to make it where you have one item only with all your needed gear inside. SKB, Pelican etc...those will not work like that. They are made as a gun case only. Tuffpak is a protective case with a big empty hole. Put in whatever you wish.

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to be inflammatory, please don't take it that way, Nornmally i take a suitcase for my gear and a gunscase for my guns.

What happens when you got to the airport or customs and have to take your guns out for inspection? you have a big mess of gear that has to be repacked after you put your guns back in. Most cases are snug fitting to hold your guns firmly in place without having to add additional padding, it doesn't look like that with the tuffpak.

Like i said i'm not knocking the case there are a lot of people here who swear by them, i'm just trying to see the light, thanks jj

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanajcj:

You place your weapon(s) in a soft case with the muzzles down in the case and zip it closed at the butt end. If inspection is required, simply unzip the soft case and slide out the weapon, butt first, then reinsert into soft case without removing the case from the Tuff Pak.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Perhaps I'm old fashion but my ICC that I've had about 15 years has given me excellent service. I can put my 2 rifles and about all my shooting kit other than ammo in it. When I open the lid everything is there in plain sight. Its also very easy for customs, police etc. to check your guns and replace them in the case.

The Tuffpak is a great idea I just don't think it is the only alternative when packing your guns around.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark...nobody is trying to con your out of using your ICC. I have an old Cascade metal case that never failed me but here is the hook to the whole thing...IF you can pack firearms and all your gear and go in one - only case that rolls...which had you rather do?
Many people travel in a Tuffpak only...oh they may have a daypack with their binocs, camera and a change of skivvies but...you want to go in multiple of cases or one?
There are many cases that will protect your firearms, your knife and a few other pcs. quite well but...we are talking taking it all in one. Git 'er done....in a Tuffpak.
Once again...a Tuffpak is not a gun case...it is a big hole with wheelswhich carries whatever AND your guns safely to where you are going.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
This dog has been beat to death...when you want the best...call me...I will send you a Tuffpak and your worries are over. Just ask the traveler that owns one.

Harry what is your web site address again please?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Harry what is your web site address again please?

Hunters' Headquarters

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Harry,

After my last trip I can certainly see the attracion of travelling with just one case..One further question...Do you get any problems with the tuffpak when it comes to the small charter aircraft? I've never flown in anything that small, but always wondered how much room they have for hardcases..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, You have a valid concern and the answer is yes I have but I solved the problem quickly when I reached inside and took out the Tuff Sak (the custom made nylon duffle that goes inside of the Tuff Pak) and put that in the plane. I left the Tuff Pak at the PH's house in town.
The Tuff Sak is also usuful when you need to get something in or out of your Tuff Pak in a hurry. You just pull out the Tuff Sak, unzip the full length double zipper and get what you need.