THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cape Buffalo targets from Perfect Shot

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo targets from Perfect Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you experienced buff hunters tried them? They sure make it more interesting than punching holes in bullseye targets off a bench, but I am curious about the proper distance to practice with them, so the scale is very realistic. I tried 50 yards for the first time today, and they seemed too small. Recommendations????

Used the Ruger 450/400 with 2.5X Leupold this afternoon for the first go at them. Happy with the gun, scope, and targets - disappointed in my shooting and centering them up. Need some practice on the anatomy of thses guys! I shot the regular ones first, without peeking, to see how I'd do.

I have the rifle 1" high at 50 yards, and zeroed for 100 yards. Looks like it would certainly slow one down, but that might be a bit risky or result in a long bad day Frowner

Off-hand groups are open a little, but my shots off sticks feel good and I have been working on both speed and accuracy. These were with the 400 grain Hornady RN-SP and the DGS.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hardly the most experienced buff hunter, but I look at them as something if you shoot at 25 yards, it will represent a buffalo at about 100+ yards. If you can consistently hit offhand at 50 yards your ready for the big leagues in my opinion.

I brought a bunch of them to shoot at, and they are fun compared to a bullseye or IPSC target though.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I used the Perfect Shot targets while practicing for my buffalo hunt. I felt it improved my shooting on live game and helped me to learn the anatomy. You just do not see too many red diamonds on real buffalo.

I practiced on the sticks and offhand slow fire at 50 yards. Practiced offhand rapid fire at 25 yards.

As far as the scale of the targets real buffalo look much bigger. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
These targets are very good, I liked a lot. I will see if I find a page where they sell to my country.

Thank you,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that I read somewhere that these targets are one third scale for the buffalo. Twenty-five yards actual distance would be the same as a real buffalo at seventy-five yards. It would be nice if they printed the scale on the target.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you find these targets? I can't seem to find them.

Posts: 467 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary, try Safari Press. Their website shows 3 different sets. Big Five, Buffalo, and Plains Game.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote