New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Majestic African Antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bongo all the way for a non-hunter. We're talking about vivid colors, large horns, distinctive markings. Lord Derby Eland gets my #2, followed by the Oryx clan. LDE for it's size and shaggy mane, and the orxy for the facial markings (yeah, they're on sable too) and long horns and distinctive cape markings. sable and kudu, at least to my non-hunting friends, don't have as much eye catching appeal. Everyone sees a bongo and says, "WOW! that's a nice looking animal!"

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great choices so far and it's hard to argue with any of them. However, I have to go with Roan - very distinct facial markings and I love their ears. IMO, a fully mature Roan bull is just as majestic as a Sable, Kudu, Bongo, Nyala, LD Eland, etc.

My "sleeper" choice would be the Black-faced Impala. In the pure strain, the blaze on their nose and their eye markings are very striking.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on a Black Face Impala....

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also think that impala are lovely animals and should be counted among the most beautiful of antelope species. I cannot help but think that they would be esteemed much more highly if they were more rarely encountered.

Agreed. A studly 27" Southern Impala ram is a magnificient animal. Fast, graceful, elegant. We take the Impala too much for granted, I believe.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I voted other. I want to hunt Lord Derbey one day. They are amazing.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted other, because to me it is like asking me which of my childeren do I love the most. Behind my desk are my Nyala, Bushbuck, Eland and Cape Kudu mounts. To my left are my Gemsbok and Greater Southern Kudu (56") also to my left are 7 pygmy antelope. In front of me are 2 Zebra mounts etc. I love them all. Smiler
I don't want to fall into the "the grass is greener " trap and vote for one I have not taken. I could not argue against any African antelope - well maybe the Red Heartabeast or Blesbok (which one lady in my office said was her favorite) but all have their own beauty and grandure.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted Kudu. It's a tough call between Kudu and Sable. I think if you made that Greater Kudu with the Sable's black coat, it might be the perfect antelope, although as mentioned the Kudu's color and accents are very nice.

The other reason I gave the edge to the Kudu, is that I had plenty of black, grown Sable bulls stand, wide-open, 50 yards from me, staring this year. They weren't 40" bulls, but they were nice. I don't recall seeing that many 50" Kudu standing 50 yards from me in the open, staring.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodmanDan:
+1 on a Black Face Impala....

Dan

GOOD LORD WHAT AN IMPALA!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for info...

That Black Face Impala was photographed in Etosha Park (Namibia) sept 07.

Several PH's think he hits the 30" mark Eeker

Crossed not 10 yards in front of the cruiser...

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blonde, brunette or redhead?

Kudu remind of beautiful blondes
Sable a sensuous brunettes
Nyala a exotic redheads

I'll take the Sable. Very commanding presence.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote