New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ele Hunt 8 Days Away!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I leave in six days and will be hunting ele with Buzz Charlton in eight days.

I've had a lot of contact with Buzz, Myles, Charmian and Carla by 'phone over the last week and they sound really pleasant and have been very helpful arranging accomodation in Harare. Buzz sent a contract which reflected exactly what I remember we agreed on over 12 months ago.

I've decided to take both my Westley Richards 470 double and my Merkel 9.3x74R/12ga drilling - I've put 50 full power rounds through the 470 over the last few days - just as well as all my shooting over summer (mainly rabbits and a goat) has been with rifles with set triggers either from a chair or prone and it took me a while to get used to the heavier trigger pulls shooting off hand.

Now I've just got to load up a few 470 and 9.3 Woodleigh solids and wrap my crutches in camo tape and I'm good to go.

Any last minute tips? Can I buy 12ga shells in Harare? How safe is Harare at the moment? Are taxis safe during daylight? At night?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of luck!

Just think of that huge jumbo walking around now, waiting to cross paths with an irate Aussie!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get ahold of the outfitter & he can probably get you some shotshells. get at least a couple of boxes. Last years ele hunt we did a bit of birding and it was kinda fun.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky dog thumb

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
What are you going to hunt with the Merkel?
I have a Robert Hübner pre WW I A&D drilling in 16/16 9,3x74R but have never been considering to take that "Meat Organ*" to Africa...

* Swedish nick name for drillings... animal

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husky,

I'm taking the Merkel as backup for ele - 286gn Woodleigh solid over a decent amount of AR2209 (Aussie powder) gives me near 375H&H ballisitics (I wouldn't try it in a pre WWI gun).

Also for any opportunity on birds plus plains game as the Merkel wears a 1.5-6x42 Swarovski in EAW mounts.

I probably would have taken my Mauser 66 in 9.3x64 or 458Win (interchangeable barrels) but realised that the barrels are registered to another Mauser 66 action/stock which in fact, has no recoil lug slot and a narrower barrel channel- it seems the Firearms Registry got the two receivers mixed up whem we had to register everything a few years ago. Not surprising as I registered two receivers and five barrels and the people entering the information had no training. Anyway, it made it difficult to get the right paperwork for the Mauser.

Drillings are great for flexibility - I take mine with me wherever I go in Australia. With a .22LR insert I can take rabbits for the pot, goats at 200 yards with 250gn 9.3x74R loads and, should the occasion ever arise, water buffalo with the 286 or 320gn Woodleighs.

The other big advantage is that it fits in a leg of mutton case which them fits in my duffle bag so I can take it into my hotel or motel room (or, even the hospital when I'm working) without the risk of someone calling the SWAT Team.

mike

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's a good name...All your practice will pay off and have a great time...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camo Crutches? Did you hurt yourself before the hunt or existing condition.

Good Luck on it.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierrabravo,

About 3 1/2 years ago a guy old enough to know better got annoyed with a young (less than 12 months experience) driver and decided to annoy him by cutting in front and braking. The older driver had a $40,000 car with anti-lock brakes and the young guy had a 10 year old Korean heap of junk.

Not surprisingly, the young guy skidded (wet road), lost control and crossed to the wrong side of the road. I saw the whole thing unfolding in front of me and steered as fast as I could towards the side of the road but, I had my wife on the back and a full load of camping gear. The car hit my right knee then clipped the bike. We went over the top of the car and, luckily, landed on the side of the road. The car went on to hit the car behind us, killing a very young baby. All this happenned at 60mph.

I broke 8 different bones and 7 healed quickly but my right femur (thigh bone) was smashed into many pieces, some of which had to be removed and is very slow to heal. I've had three operations and 15 months after the last one it finally seems to be healing. In fact, in the last month I've been able to put some weight on the leg and am getting around using only one crutch.

During the time on crutches I've managed to keep hunting - a number of pigs and goats, countless rabbits and two camel during a 6 week expedition into the australian desert.

As an aside, I've had two hunts in Africa and it was by carefully, slowly remembering those hunts, day by day, animal by animal, that I coped during my week in intensives care (="expensive scare") and months of having to lie motionless in bed with a fractured pelvis. If you're thinking of going to Africa, do it. You never know what may happen next year.

regards,

mike

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Your are what heros are made of.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Just some items you might need need to know.
You are not allowed to carry both rifle and its Ammunition in the same duffel bag on the flight over.
For many years I use to lock ammo in a cash box and rifle in compact case then put them in my "CHOPPER" canvas Duffel bag for traveling, but on my last trip I was checked twice that my ammo was packed separately . Also I don't think a soft leg of mutton case is allowed for air transport.
I would bring your own shotgun ammo if you haven't asked them to sort some out for you already.
When we hunt with RW SAFARIS and Myles McCallum
they always recommend that we bring our own shot shells.
what load do you use in your 470NE?
I use 103gns of 2209.
Cheers,
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter,

Thanks for your comments - I was in the Qantas Office yesterday and inquired specifically about ammunition in the same duffle as the guns in hard cases and was told it was ok! The girl rang the Qantas security guy responsible for oking firearms transport. I'll be taking two duffles (and my chair - I bust up some of my vertebrae and find sitting difficult; strangely the most comfortable chair is one of those folding "VB" chairs with the stubby holder in the arm rest), so I'll be able to transfer it if necessary. It seems to me that if you can keep the ammom and guns together you halve the risk of losing something vital.

Interesting about your 470 load. The ADI (makers of 2209) handbook recommends much higher loads of 2209. I started at 108gn (5% below the ADI recommended load) and was hitting 5" above the sites and crossing. I backed off and got perfect regulation with, you guessed iy, 103gn AR2209 with softs (Woodleigh). Solids need 100-101gn AR2209 but for some reason I developed this load with Rem 9 1/2 Magnum primers which may explain the difference. I had my rifle re-regulated for Federal factory loads by Vic Pedersen who, apart from being a really helpful and nice guy, does a great job. My rifle stays on a 2" square aiming point at 50 yards (shooting sitting in the previously mentioned "VB" chair, no rest.

I use 101gn of AR2209 with paper patched 400gn bullets, either Speer 45/70 Flat point projectiles or cast. Regulation and accuracy of the Speers is the same as the 500gn loads with the cast bullets being a bit less accurate, I think because I'm using an aluminium mould and think I'm getting some air voids, varying the projectile weights. The Speer are going at 2250fps and go off like bombs in pigs and goats - instant kill with a chest hit - shot a 50kg pig at 20 yards and there was just a small entance wound, no exit wound and the whole front half of the pig turned to jelly - couldn't feel any ribs, shouler blades etc.

I get 2120 from 103gn of AR2209 and 500gn Woodleigh softs - have you chrono'd this load in your rifle?

regards,

m

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike - In my epxperience be prepared to pack ammo and guns separately - the amount of misinformation from qantas is chronic. Say hi to the team from me (I hunted Chewore with Alan Shearing, one of Buzz's PHs last year). The girls all greatly appreciate perfume, cosmetics etc as they can't get them in Zim! If you're a wine drinker take over a couple of good ones, they're also appreciated in camp(you can pick them up in Joburg airport). Charles Ducat, Auckland.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AussieMike:
Husky,

I'm taking the Merkel as backup for ele - 286gn Woodleigh solid over a decent amount of AR2209 (Aussie powder) gives me near 375H&H ballisitics (I wouldn't try it in a pre WWI gun).

Also for any opportunity on birds plus plains game as the Merkel wears a 1.5-6x42 Swarovski in EAW mounts.

I probably would have taken my Mauser 66 in 9.3x64 or 458Win (interchangeable barrels) but realised that the barrels are registered to another Mauser 66 action/stock which in fact, has no recoil lug slot and a narrower barrel channel- it seems the Firearms Registry got the two receivers mixed up whem we had to register everything a few years ago. Not surprising as I registered two receivers and five barrels and the people entering the information had no training. Anyway, it made it difficult to get the right paperwork for the Mauser.

Drillings are great for flexibility - I take mine with me wherever I go in Australia. With a .22LR insert I can take rabbits for the pot, goats at 200 yards with 250gn 9.3x74R loads and, should the occasion ever arise, water buffalo with the 286 or 320gn Woodleighs.

The other big advantage is that it fits in a leg of mutton case which them fits in my duffle bag so I can take it into my hotel or motel room (or, even the hospital when I'm working) without the risk of someone calling the SWAT Team.

mike

Hi Mike,
It's a good idea! I have two scopes for my Hübner; one helia 1,5 -6x42 and an Aimpointred dot, both in German claw mount's.

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Yes the ADI handbooks can be a bit howzit going in the big nitro loads.
I normally use 103.5grns of 2209 for; right barrel 2130fps av and left barrel 2160fps av, using Norma brass and Fed mag,match primers.
The MERKEL shoots 20mm low at 50m and about 100mm low at 100m, with 100m leaf up at 100m its about 70mm high at 100m and always shoots great groups.
Also I don't crimp and have checked the total lenghts of unfired rounds after firing the other rounds with no movement visible.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a GREAT trip TOUGH GUY!!!

My "hat's off to you".

I call you "tough guy" and MEAN IT!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had a lot of contact with Buzz, Myles, Charmian and Carla by 'phone over the last week and they sound really pleasant and have been very helpful arranging accomodation in Harare. Buzz sent a contract which reflected exactly what I remember we agreed on over 12 months ago

AussieMike,
They are great folks and you will have a SUPER adventure! You will get many superb references on Buzz, Myles and the crew here. Post plenty of pictures when you get back and shoot straight!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I sure hope you have the time of your life, you are certainly hunting with a great crew. Enjoy every minute of it. thumb

I look forward to hearing how things went!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mike,

how many ele's are you hunting this trip? best of luck, i'm leaving in about as well, it will be interesting hunting them this earily.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Mike

Good luck on your hunt.

You might be able to fit the "leg-o-mutton" bag in a takedown sized stamford type case with the foam padding removed. Assuming the "leg-of-mutton" bag is already padded. Just a thought in case you need to put the rifles in a separate hard case. The hard case could be stored away as soon as you don't need it anymore.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of geese
posted Hide Post
Good luck, hope you have a great trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LV Eric:
mike,

how many ele's are you hunting this trip? best of luck, i'm leaving in about as well, it will be interesting hunting them this earily.

Just the one PAC bull, I might do some PG hunting as well. Now, what I'd really like is to get a chance at a hippo as well.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Mike

Good luck on your hunt.

You might be able to fit the "leg-o-mutton" bag in a takedown sized stamford type case with the foam padding removed. Assuming the "leg-of-mutton" bag is already padded. Just a thought in case you need to put the rifles in a separate hard case. The hard case could be stored away as soon as you don't need it anymore.

Nitrox,

I'll be taking them in hard cases. As well I'm packing my scabbard with shoulder straps like a back pack. Similar to the scabbard Michael Douglas used for his pump action shotgun in "Romancing the Stone". It has a belt loop at the bottom so you can draw the rifle easily. You cannot use a sling when your on crutches as it falls off your shoulder, bangs into the crutches etc.

I had two of these scabbards made by Hans van Hees - one for 25-26" barrelled double rifles, drillings etc and one for 16 1/2" lever guns. It is a bit difficult to sit down with the long scabbard but the short one is fine. With a 7 1/2lb plastic stocked Marlin 45/70 you don't even know your wearing it and you can draw the light rifle quite quickly. It'd be a good solution for carrying a rifle while fishing or possibly for sambar in real steep country.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AussieMike,

You will have a great trip! Don't forget to leave your extra .470 rounds behind for Buzz as he will definitely make use of them. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote