THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    "Out of Africa" restaurant (Houston, TX area)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Out of Africa" restaurant (Houston, TX area)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Greg R

Just ate at this South African restaurant almost across the highway from your offices.
It was first rate, the atmosphere like "being there" and the lunch price was right.
Service was good -- rainy afternoon, tho. I would antciipate RSA-paced service if it
gets busy, kinda like Captain Jimmy's in P.E. was. Not for the rushed!!!

http://houston.citysearch.com/...html#profileTab-maps

http://outofafricadining.com/

Barry Nagel
bnpnagel@earthlink.net

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Cool!

I'll have to stop in sometime when I'm down in the SW part of town.

We'll have to see if their monkey gland sauce rivals the recipe we've got! Wink

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Wife's durban chicken curry was awesome. They have some condiment called "Trainsmash", the chutney was sweet and whatever the other stuff was beats pico de gallo senseless.

I had fish and chips to remind me of P.E. and Blaauwkrantz / the Rudmans. The menu specifies "No monkeys were injured in making the sauce". The tomato sauce was obviously American ketchup, however.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what they call ketchup in southeran Africa.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the owners the same or connected to the "OoA " some on here love to hate?? Just wondering outloud!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Following along with the African food theme I'll just throw this in because some here might find it interesting. If you're old enough you might remember this place - http://www.saintsreport.com/fo...owthread.php?t=15082.

They used to advertise out of NOLA on station WWL clear channel. You could hear it late at night all over the country. The restaurant had delicacies like lion, zebra, and other African game animals. I think they had buffalo, but not terribly sure what all others. I don't really even know what all African game makes for good eating.

Wonder what would happen if someone tried that today? Anyhow, I wanted to try it myself but it wasn't until years after they were gone that I started going down there. The creole French cuisine and fresh Gulf seafood more than made up for it I guess...

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Barry,

I ate there when they first opened and found the food just okay, though the people were very nice. James ate there with a client a few weeks later and said it was much better. I'll have to give it a try again this week.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Following along with the African food theme I'll just throw this in because some here might find it interesting. If you're old enough you might remember this place - http://www.saintsreport.com/fo...owthread.php?t=15082.

They used to advertise out of NOLA on station WWL clear channel. You could hear it late at night all over the country. The restaurant had delicacies like lion, zebra, and other African game animals. I think they had buffalo, but not terribly sure what all others. I don't really even know what all African game makes for good eating.

Wonder what would happen if someone tried that today? Anyhow, I wanted to try it myself but it wasn't until years after they were gone that I started going down there. The creole French cuisine and fresh Gulf seafood more than made up for it I guess...

Has a kid I always wanted to go there. They had everything from bear to ele on the menu. My parents did not have the money and it closed up before I was old enough to try them out.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Okay, that's now on my list of places to go next time I go home to see Mom.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote