New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with RSA a/c voltage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, A great blessing has come my way and I'll be going to south Africa for the second time. Me and two of my friends are going to hunt plains game in the free state in august. I was wondering what I could buy in order to plug in my recharger for our video camera batteries. Any help would be appreciated. I still can't believe I'm getting to go for the second time!!!!!...........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
South Africa uses 220 volts, so unless you have a multi voltage charger, you need to get a voltage converts.

Most modern cameras come with chargers that are multi voltage, but, to be safe, check what yours says.

Also, I think they use the 3 square pin plugs, and you might need to buy one of those plug adaptors.

I have no idea where you can get these in NM, but we do have them in all the supermarkets here.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
What you need is an adapter like this:

Grounding Adaptor Plug H

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
What about a charger that plugs into the 12v power outlet on autos?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need the adapter as shown in the previous post they do use the round pins on the wall sockets and the voltage is 220-240

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Just go to Radio Shack and get a Travellers Voltage Converter Kit. The kit will be small and easy to packa nd store. They can be found at any store such as Radio Shack.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the converter kit from radio shack last year and it worked good, I also took a power bar, the type with the surge protector where you can plug in 5 or 6 plugs. I plugged the converter into the wall and then plugged my power strip into it so I could recharge more than one camera or video camera, etc.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My charger has dual voltage--12VDC and 120VAC. I couldn't see buying an international voltage converter\plug so I just plugged mine into the PH's bakke (toyota hi-lux) each night. My batteries were good to go the next morning and it didn't hurt the bakke's battery one bit. Aren't all modern vehicles 12VDC? Then I can use my charger in any country without regard to their household current and the type of plug needed.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The National Energy Regulator in SA has standardised the electricity supply in SA at 240v 50hz. Despite that, it varies from 185v to 263v and sometimes one phase disappears completely. Sometimes all three phases go out and come on again one at a time.

Running a factory here is interesting, in the Chinese curse sense. (May you live in interesting times.)

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I bought a voltage converter in the Kwa-Zulu-Natal area in South Africa last year for I think it was $9 USD (actually bought two of them). This was after trying to use the ones purchased here in the States and not being happy with them. I would suggest that you ask your PH to get you one there and have it for you when you arrive. Add it to the bill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the help guys. I talked to my PH today and it appears that he has 110vac in the lodge just for us great americans!!!..................wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote