Notify
Tools

Re: Illuminated reticles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
David,

The S&B has an extra turret opposite the windage turret. It has a knob on it that functions as the switch. No tools needed. The switch is silent. I find this set-up to be better (i.e., better looking and more convenient) than those with turrets sticking up off of the ocular bell (Zeiss and Leupold) or sticking up extremely high on the top turret (Swarovski).

Flash Dot

As I said, there are eleven settings (actually twelve, if you count zero, which is "off"). If you don't want to crank the turret knob to get to a high setting, you can set the switch in between settings (say, in between settings "7" and "8"). This turns off the illumination, and saves the battery, but with a fraction of a turn forward or back, you're on and ready to go.

No change in impact whatsoever. The reticle never moves, a tiny red dot is simply illuminated at the intersection of the crosshairs.

Schmidt & Bender

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Cewe,

I have a Leupold varX III---3.5/10X 50mm Has a German 4 cross hair and has a very small red dot which can be turned on or left off 11 settings for birghtness...very tiny dot

I also have found this very precise for aiming...

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cewe
Leupold Var=X 111 3.5-10x50. Used on all game except Cape Buffalo.
Bob

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of these scopes, having used a Leupold 1.5-5x20 to help take hyena, leopard and lion. As was pointed out, when not needed, or when the battery dies, it is a regular old scope which I used for 3-buffalo, hippo and plainsgame. I have both, but prefer their "German #4" to the "Duplex".

Leupold 1.5-5x20 Illuminated:

Leupold Duplex Reticle:

Leopold German #4 Reticle:

On the Leopold, the illumination controls are not real good in that there is no way to "pre-set" the level, and it tends to get easily moved from the "off" position which requires a small piece of electrical tape to resolve. And, the turret on top of the scope is "not pretty" by any means. Downright UGLY in fact. But, eye relief, FOV and durability are excellent, just like on the regular 1.5-5's.

I absolutely agree w/Mrlexma that while being far from cheap, the S&B, or the new Kahles CSX are better solutions today especially for all-around use. (I hope Santa is listening!)

Khales CSX Illuminated 1.5-6x42: Website

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the German 4# reticle, my scopes have heavy Duplexes. The Kahles has received som good reviews and I�ll be looking at a 40-42mm bell.

God how I hate shopping...hehehehe

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I used one battery Tasco when I started hunting, was on my brothers gun, Was shooting in moonlight, thought it was the best and could not do without it, till one day the battery was lost, realized it was not the end of the world, still shot just as well without it in the moonlight

Have not used it ever since

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I already had a Leupold 2.5x8 with the heavy duplex [non illuminated] mounted in my Chapuis 9,3x74R double rifle, but the people at HHK suggested an illuminated reticle scope would be an advantage when hunting lion and leopard over bait. I looked at S&B, Ziess, and Swarovski scopes with illuminated reticles. Like Ray I am suspicious of anything that needs batterys to work. I felt the Swarovski circle dot reticle was the best illuminated reticle in the "off" position. I also liked it very well when "turned on" at the different powers [1.5 to 6]. I used it for plains game out to 300 yards. I did "scope" a female leopard in a tree with it illuminated and could have made the shot no problem, I also had it turned on when I shot my civet cat and my side striped jackel. I like this scope so well that I will have to have one for my 375 H&H and my 308 Blaser bbls. They are kinda pricey but worth every penny.

A nice thing about the Swarovski is that has enough adjustment to be usable in total darkness or in the daylight.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the S&B 1.25 x 4 with Flash Dot on my 416. How it works has already been explained so I won't go into that. I didn't order the Flashdot but when the maker sent me the rifle it was included and I must say on the first shot at Cape Buffalo I needed it. Black animal/ end of day. Probably way too dark to be shooting but the range was close and the PH was anxious to get the deal done. I set it at the first (lowest) notch and got with the program. Target acquisition was faster and more sure than plain crosshairs. So...I'm a believer. Left it on in the gun safe and now have a nice scope with duplex crosshairs. Headed to Tanzania in July and you can bet I'll have a new battery!