Find
Notify
Tools

Closest and longest shot on DG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted
What is the closest/longest shot you made on a DG animal (first bullet) ?

Myself, 100 yards brainshot on a elephant and the closest around 3 inches a leopard.

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
200 yards on a Buff in the middle of wide dry lake bed. No way to get closer and waited an hour for that shot.

15 yards Buff for want of a breath mint...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
70 yards on a buffalo
30 yards on a buffalo

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 yards on an Elephant, and maybe 60 on a Buffalo.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
13 paces Buffalo
110 m (app) Buffalo

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albeit Australian Water Buffalo or Scrub bull but

over 100 - 150 Yards for the longest, not 100% sure as the mob was on the run.

and 8 feet for the closest at a charger.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75 yds for a buff
30 ft for a ele

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
673 yards on a buff

-6 inches on an ele

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Damn it Will you outshot me again.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
673 yards on a buff

-6 inches on an ele

Smiler

So, was the gun barrel in the elephant's mouth, his ear, his eye or somewhere more personal. Cool

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
85 yards - Buff
15 yards - Elephant

Both with an iron sight double rifle (450/400)

JB

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Damn it Will you outshot me again.

Mike

It's that bloody single trigger again Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anton:

Please tell us about the 3 inch shot. There has to be a story.

For me, the closest was about 4 yards (elephant). The longest was about 265 yards (buff).

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought 7 yds on buff was interesting, but I'm obviously trumped.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry I'd take a guess and he shot it thru the blind. Got to be a great story though.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
673 yards on a buff

-6 inches on an ele

Smiler

So, was the gun barrel in the elephant's mouth, his ear, his eye or somewhere more personal. Cool

The poor thing was blind and had his trunk at full stretch trying to smell whatever was in front of him, when he had a bloody big steel pipe shoved up it. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Larry it was after 14 days in Zimbabwe last year. Many baits had gone rotten and we really didnt think anything would hit them although all three baits had been hit and we let loose the dogs in a pitch black morning around 04:00.

After many hours we had a visual, he was in a small tree but jumped before I could shoot. Anyway he went into a cave and the only thing to do was to try to showel away the dogs and go to the hole he was in and try to see where he was, he was just at the hole laying on his back and I put the barrel against his chest and made two quick shots. Maybe not a normal cat hunt but one of the most memorable hunts I've ever done.

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Neither are mine, but I was front row for both.

Longest - 75 - 80 yards on an elephant at 3:00 in the morning. PH insisted the ele was only about 30 yards away, he tried the shot (five actually). All misses. The client fired 2 shots. Both misses as well. Neither could undersand why I didn't shoot...We went back in the daylight to look for blood (found none). As we walked off the distance from where the shots were taken to where the elephant had been standing, the PH explained to me that as far as he was concerned I was a liability and a hinderence to him and that he did not want me "tagging along" on any more of "his" hunts. I guess he was mad because I didn't take a foolish shot in the dark (literally) and that I was right the night before when I told him he was misjudging the distances...Oh well, it was an intersting night at any rate...

Closest - About 10 yards on a small bull elephant. PH and client both shot (different PH and client from above) and we found only one hole. Honestly, I would be lying if I said I had any more faith in the PH making the shot than I did in the client.

Interesting times that...

Cheers,

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allout:
Neither are mine, but I was front row for both.

Longest - 75 - 80 yards on an elephant at 3:00 in the morning. PH insisted the ele was only about 30 yards away, he tried the shot (five actually). All misses. The client fired 2 shots. Both misses as well. Neither could undersand why I didn't shoot...We went back in the daylight to look for blood (found none). As we walked off the distance from where the shots were taken to where the elephant had been standing, the PH explained to me that as far as he was concerned I was a liability and a hinderence to him and that he did not want me "tagging along" on any more of "his" hunts. I guess he was mad because I didn't take a foolish shot in the dark (literally) and that I was right the night before when I told him he was misjudging the distances...Oh well, it was an intersting night at any rate...

Closest - About 10 yards on a small bull elephant. PH and client both shot (different PH and client from above) and we found only one hole. Honestly, I would be lying if I said I had any more faith in the PH making the shot than I did in the client.

Interesting times that...

Cheers,

Brian

Are we talking Archery here? Difference in bullet strike between 30 and 80 yards when shooting at an elephant? I am not computing this.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
150 m running buffalo
30m croc

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
First shot, Long about 75 yds,couldn't get closer, One shot only scoped 375H&H bolt rifle 300 gr Nosler Partition, buff ran 30 yds, dead buff. Smiler

On first of two shots on another buff right barrel 20 feet frontal chest,(heart) left barrel brained short 15 feet! Checked my underware for possible accident after that one! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Are we talking Archery here? Difference in bullet strike between 30 and 80 yards when shooting at an elephant? I am not computing this.
Jeff

Jeff,

I know it seems a little hard to swallow, however, I was there and that is how it went down. The client was using a borrowed 416 Rem Mag (that he had shot three shots from a few hours before at about 50 yards. All his strikes on paper were a good 6" high and 6" or so right, but the PH said, that was close enough) and the PH was carrying a 375 H&H. The last thing the client whispered before the lights came on and the PH shot first was, "I have never done anything like this before. What do I do?" Unfortunately, the PH had distanced himself about 20 or so yards from the client at this point and all I could do was mutter under my breath, "Pray we don't all get killed." Then the fireworks started...
I guess it was just one of those "you had to be there" moments...

Cheers,

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
673 yards on a buff

-6 inches on an ele

Smiler

You can't see 673 yards!!!

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff 125 yards and another at 10 yards.
Elephant 5 and 90-100 yards.

The best one though is completely missing an elephant at 6 yards.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Longest was about 100 yards on Buffalo, scoped 375 H&H.

Closest was 12 yards on Elephant bull, 500 NE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
60 yards on Buffalo
15 yards on Buffalo

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
10 yards on a lion and 80 yards on a Buff.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
........... Checked my underware for possible accident after that one! Eeker

And you found what????? Big Grin

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of redfern
posted Hide Post
I'm a bow hunter, shot 2 cape buffalo, one at 15 yards furthest one was shot at 40 yards both one arrow kills.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
........... Checked my underware for possible accident after that one! Eeker

And you found what????? Big Grin

NOTHING, in fact everything was so tight I didn't need the long drop for three days afterwards!

Funny now Big Grin .......But not then! shocker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redfern:
I'm a bow hunter, shot 2 cape buffalo, one at 15 yards furthest one was shot at 40 yards both one arrow kills.

I think we have a WINNER!!!

One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Lion = 52 yards after a stalk and not on bait.
Leopard = 60 yards on bait.
Brown Bear = 21 feet and he was stalking me, not the other way around.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anton:

Did you know he was that close when you looked in the hole

Very interesting story.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by redfern:

I think we have a WINNER!!!

I'd go with that. tu2

Any DG hunting with a bow takes balls IMHO, whether back up is there or not.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Anton:

Did you know he was that close when you looked in the hole

Very interesting story.

LOL not that close, but I could see his paw coming out to try grab a dog a few times before I walked up. The PH stood 3-4 meters behind so it was the real deal. I know you have been on alot of hunts and like walking and tracking eles and buff but YOU should try this hunt before they make it illegal. On this 21 day hunt we tracked alot of cats and walked/run those hills/mountains ALOT up and down. My second cat we tracked down from his own antbear kill. If I remember correct we found 5 different freshly killed antelopes/cattle by the leopard.

Many think its easy to kill a cat with the help of dogs but to those people I can only say think again. Most of the time during this trip the dogs had no scent to follow because of the heat and they were following the trackers.
I have never learned so much how a leopard thinks/drinks/eats and walks like this trip.

I have just been quoted a price in Moz for a lion hunt with dogs, that would also be something else Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Eventually they'll collide with the muzzle of your rifle and then the shot is easy. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo, 80 yards. Leopard, 5 yards.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunter white
posted Hide Post
23 yards cape buffalo with a bow and 90 yards leopard with a rifle

Posts: 54 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
two or three yards on an elephant and 220 yards on a buffalo

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
In Save 2007, 7 paces on a charging buffalo, he passed between me and the tracker, a gap no more than 3 paces.

Gordon Duncan was the PH.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote