New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russell Thula Thula mocasin boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone tried these new boots/mocasins from Russell? They are the ones with the smooth/flat leather soles. I believe Ivan Carter wore a pair for a season.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com...ari/thula_thula.html

Comments?

Posts: 10272 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair at the last SCI Convention. It took nearly 6 months to get them, and then only after the deadline for them to arrive had past, and then they didn't fit. I threw a fit and Ralph (the owner) wants me to bring them by the SCI Convention in a couple of weeks. We'll see what they can do about them. I've heard horror stories on sending shoes back to Russell for a proper fit and then them still not fitting. So, we will see what happens in a couple of weeks.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
3 Years ago I had them make Boots and Shoes for me. I sent them back 3 times and they still don't fit. They told me at the show to send them back for a refund. Also Ralph re-measured my feet and ask to try for the Boots one more time. He is to call me in Febuary and we will take it from there. I will advise here on the results if there are any?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elton: member here got some for his wife and himself they liked them alot

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Anyone tried these new boots/mocasins from Russell? They are the ones with the smooth/flat leather soles. I believe Ivan Carter wore a pair for a season.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com...ari/thula_thula.html

Comments?

Yeah, I've got a pair and like them quite a bit. Took them to RSA summer of '08 but didn't have a chance to use them much. I have worn them bowhunting here in TX and as long as you're not hunting a real rocky area they work great!! Hopefully someday soon they'll get a real workout chasing Ivan around after a big ele bull dancing

I'm a fan of Russell and have IIRC 7 pairs now. I've had some problems, most notably my recent pair of Convention Walkers that were way too small. I called Ralph and he said, "send 'em back and we'll re-make 'em". In fact, after seeing them in person there were a few things I didn't like about them other than the fit and told Ralph about it. He changed the whole style and re-made them perfectly, even had them back within a month!! They're now probably the most comfortable shoes I own, next to my Zephyrs or maybe my PHs.... Wink Come to think of it, I sent my Prickly Pear Birdshooters back also and they completely re-made them. Fit great now!!

I've dealt with a lot of custom boot/shoe manufacturers and IMO Russell is one of the best. They do make mistakes but in my experience they stand behind their product and if given the opportunity, will fix it.

I think what aggravates most customers is the amount of time you wait for them to be made and when you finally receive them if they don't fit perfectly you have to wait another 3-6 months!!! I agree it can be frustrating but it's just part of the "custom boot" experience. BTW, to help offset this, I always opt for the "rush" option....after all what's another $50 bucks...?

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote