THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia - Caliber/Energy Minimums for Leopard and Lion?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia - Caliber/Energy Minimums for Leopard and Lion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does Namibia have any specified caliber or energy minimums for Leopard or Lion? I tried searching on here using several different criteria but couldn't come up with anything. I also checked NAPHA's website and could not seem to find any information regarding this topic.

Any details would be appreciated.

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived there a few years ago and it seem like the energy minimums were more guidelines than hard and fast rules. I would use my 308 for leopard and my 9.3X62 for lion - or what ever you have equivelent energy wise.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to be some confusion on what is viable for leopard in Namibia. Some say .375; others so not, for leopard. I'd feel real comfortable shooting a leopard with a .300 Win. (or less, frankly), but not if it's not legal. Then I'd chose my .416. I just don't have a .375 that I really like. I've had this discussion with a father/son, both Ph's and they don't agree on what the law is. I've read it, I'm a lawyer, and I don't know. I guess I'll just shoot my leopard with a .416. I'm comfortable with that and no issues. Need a new scope for it, though, and may have eye relief issues.

Posts: 10035 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
See this thread, where this subject is discussed.

Minimum Caliber(s) for Namibia

There are no minimums established by Namibian law for the big cats, although one would hope that common sense would prevail!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know about legal minimums but mine would be the .338 WinMag for leopard and .375 H&H for lion.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
A .300wm is plenty for Leopard and anything larger is simply not required but may be mandated by law. Leopard is thin skinned and the heart/lungs on cats sit further back than in antelope. Know the anatomy and select a specific rosette to hold on.
Mine fell dead at the bottom of the tree. 180gr. Swift A-Frame.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote