Find
Notify
Tools

A wise future buffalo hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
As I've posted in the past, my youngest daughter, who is a freshman in college, is quite the hunter. We hunted PG in RSA this summer and had a great trip to Vic Falls.

This weekend I asked her if, during her spring break next year, she'd accompany me on a p.a.c. elephant hunt on which she'll have the chance to take a cow buffalo. She was ecstatic in her "YES!."

Pulling her leg some, I wondered out loud if she was ready for the "thrill" of following up a buffalo which (hopefull) had taken a good shot, but had made it to the long grass.

She smiled and related that she had read several stories in which P.H.'s would light up a cigarette after the shot and smoke it, that being a prudent gentleman's excuse to give the buffalo a chance to "lose his descretion in deciding how he would die". (She's not a Mark Sullivan fan, btw.)

Somewhat befuddled at her answer, I looked at her, tilting my head and raised my eyebrows. She smiled and said, "Dad, let's take the P.H. some cigars. They last longer."

Now, all we have to decide is what rifle she'll take. I'm leaning towards a petite Husqvarna (13" with pad) in 9.3x62 with TSX's, but my little Merkel 141(e) in 9.3x74 shoots softs and solids in the same hole... Ah! What a pleasant quandry for a dad and daughter. The cigars will be Arturo Fuentes Maduros.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Take the Merkel. You'll both get some pleasure out of her shooting her buff with it. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
My little girl just turned 2, and I can't wait to have the same problem as you. Cherish every moment!!!!

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Judge, sounds like you have raised a perfect southern belle, my compliments! I hope you both have a wonderful time.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge G: Let's see. . . .I have a 21 (nearly 22) year old college son who loves to hunt. . . and you have a college freshman daughter who likes to hunt. . .Hmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe we ought to plan a joint Safari! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, I realize you have quite a decision to make, but I'm sure you'll make the correct one. It's lucky all of us don't have to make such difficult choices.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ernest, Please tell your daughter, I said, " She is ready to make the transition to DG and will make the shot..."

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge

Have her use the Merkel. The 9,3x74R Double is perfect for cape buff.

Also you do not want her known as Bolt Rifle Trash. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no better hunt than a father daughter or father son hunt,whatever the game.The real trophy on such a hunt is the discussion between the two.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink
Judge, if your daughter needs a backup.

I am sure Uncle Retreever would provide the firepower!

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge - Either rifle you mentioned would be spot on. But how cool for her to take the buff with a double?? Congrats and good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My little girl is only 12, she has been hunting with me since she was 9, she adds a whole new dimension.

Her first buck is something we will have forever.

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Judge

Have her use the Merkel. The 9,3x74R Double is perfect for cape buff.

Also you do not want her known as Bolt Rifle Trash. Big Grin

Well spilled another quality beverage... That's too funny and so true!

clap

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
As I've posted in the past, my youngest daughter, who is a freshman in college, is quite the hunter. We hunted PG in RSA this summer and had a great trip to Vic Falls.

This weekend I asked her if, during her spring break next year, she'd accompany me on a p.a.c. elephant hunt on which she'll have the chance to take a cow buffalo. She was ecstatic in her "YES!."

Pulling her leg some, I wondered out loud if she was ready for the "thrill" of following up a buffalo which (hopefull) had taken a good shot, but had made it to the long grass.

She smiled and related that she had read several stories in which P.H.'s would light up a cigarette after the shot and smoke it, that being a prudent gentleman's excuse to give the buffalo a chance to "lose his descretion in deciding how he would die". (She's not a Mark Sullivan fan, btw.)

Somewhat befuddled at her answer, I looked at her, tilting my head and raised my eyebrows. She smiled and said, "Dad, let's take the P.H. some cigars. They last longer."

Now, all we have to decide is what rifle she'll take. I'm leaning towards a petite Husqvarna (13" with pad) in 9.3x62 with TSX's, but my little Merkel 141(e) in 9.3x74 shoots softs and solids in the same hole... Ah! What a pleasant quandry for a dad and daughter. The cigars will be Arturo Fuentes Maduros.

JudgeG,

I showed Hessa this message yesterday when she came down to shoot, and she said "I want to go hunting buffalo too"

Yesterday was the first time she shot something at 100 yards.

She normally shoots pop cans at about 20 yards.

Yesterday she managed to put 8 rounds out of ten into a Pepsi can at one yards!

Please say hi to the girls from us all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

You bet I'll tell them hello!

Emmy drove all the way home from college (225 miles) just to make sure that she welcomed Pierr'e at the airport when he came to my home for a visit after SCI. She even found a summer study program in Cape Town that the University of Georgia sponsors for next year... I think she's hooked on Africa as so many of us here are.

Tell Hessa that I have no crocodiles in my garden, but I'm working on it.

Have you had any of the golfers come shoot the .577? I'd hate to see a golf swing for a few days after lighting off that thing.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you had any of the golfers come shoot the .577? I'd hate to see a golf swing for a few days after lighting off that thing.

They all refused to shoot the 577.

A bunch of wimps if you ask me!

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

They all refused to shoot the 577.

Yes, but can you imagine their insurance agents! If they knew they were close to Walter, let alone shooting a shoulder cannon! My word! They'd collapse from the mention!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All I wanna know is just how many rounds you've put downrange with that thing, Saeed? Wink

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
FOUR!

And I don't mind saying, I do NOT like shooting the bloody thing.

You sure are not going to see me hunt with it.

I have learnt quite a bit from the years I have hunted in Africa.

It is not the size that matters, it is where you put it.

It is much easier for me to place my bullet where I want it with a rifle that kicks a lot less than the 577 T.Rex.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My future buffalo hunter with her first elk in 2008. She is 12.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'll be taking my youngest to Namibia this summer but she wants to "go and see" before deciding that she's a hunter. So far, all three of my girls have "attitude".

Claire is the youngest, on the left, Maureen center and Audrey right.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they all have the right attitudes for hunting Africa! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My daughter Stormy is quite a bit older than most shown here (38). She has always enjoyed shooting and is a good clay shooter. Tip Burns is building her a 257 Roberts to hunt deer and hogs with. I'm all excited!

Congratulations to each of you! It is great to take the kids hunting!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote