New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Lions Climb Trees???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Below is a picture that a good friend of mine just sent me. He was busy with a Leopard hunt, but he could not get this damn lion to stop climbing the tree, and eating his bait.

He said the bait was easily 20 feet off the ground, and the big cat climbed the tree on three different nights. Completely devouring the bait each & every time. He also said that the only way this lion could feed, is just how it looks in the picture. He would have to hang off the limb, and it looked like the lion fell to the ground several times, got back up, and climbed the tree again. I've seen pictures of them climbing trees for baits before, but not sure I have ever seen one hanging from the limb, 20 feet off the ground.

Man, he must have been real hungry!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cool picture Aaron, and a rare one at that.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very cool, and one hungry cat! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that lions & tigers as young animals can climb trees. I have a seen an old movie clip of a tiger running up a tree just like any other cat - up to about 15 feet height in about 2 or 3 seconds & then stopping.

I understood that older heavier animals do not climb trees. How old was this lion? A young male?

Great picture.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Cool photo. Yes, they can climb trees. I am sure there are a few Mozambique refugees that walked through Kruger Park that found out the hard way.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...NvuepBWg&feature=fvw

Great photo. I believe there is an entire pride of lions in Uganda that are well known for their tree climbing ability.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just thought the picture was worth showing to everyone, not something you see often. I have never personally seen a lion in a tree, but I have seen other trail cam pictures similar to this one. Including several big males, just as the one in this pic.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I've seen several lionesses in tress in Botswana, when hunting near the Selinda River. Never saw a big male doing it (I'd have shot him if I had) but several females were up in trees after consuming a zebra they'd killed the night before.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen pictures of very large male lions in trees. In the documentary film "Predators at War", a lioness climbs a tree to get at a leopard kill, and falls to her death.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Yes, even mature lions & lionesses can and do climb trees. It does however seem to be a lot more common in some specific areas.

The ones in Serengeti Tz often climb trees and I've seen them do it many times...... they're not elegant when it comes to getting back down though. You'll often see the tree shake for several minutes and then down thuds a lion or two.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

A couple of years ago I was hunting Jose, one of your clients in West Petauke and we had to resort to tracking up Lions on foot as they refused to come to bait. On one occassion we were tracking a pride down a sandy river bed and heard an ominous growl nearby but for the life of us could not see the cat until it exploded out of a Kigalia (sausage tree) a few feet in front of us. Just as we had regained our composure a two year old fell out of the same tree in his haste to get away from us.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

I took this one in the Serengeti, when I was standing on the seat of a game viewing vehicle and she was a foot or two above my eyeline.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can all climb. Big males less so but I have seen a big mature male climb with my own eyes. Anyone who has ever hunted Matetsi will attest to the abilities of those lionesses to get to the most carefully hung leopard bait, they can be a pain.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine sighted, stalked and shot a HUGE black mane male asleep on a tree limb in the Selous of all places.

Lucky bastard!!! Cool

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
A buddy of mine sighted, stalked and shot a HUGE black mane male asleep on a tree limb in the Selous of all places.

Lucky bastard!!! Cool

Lucky indeed!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
No.
Lions do not climb trees.

If anyone tells you different, they are lion.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
That's why many PH's set up leopard baits on thin limbs that heavier lions will likely avoid.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buff (Chirisa)was shot about 5 miles away from the truck. The PH wanted me to accompany him back to the truck. I refused. (I had spent a lot of time shooting a 375 and had come some 8000 miles to get him -and was not about to leave him to the mercy of hyenas or lions -and certainly not to the tender care of a "ranger" with a somewhat rusted AK-47. Fact) The PH apparently took a long chance on me and let me stay. There was a very low acacia -and the "ranger" promptly put himself up in the fork. I literally walked sentry duty for some hours. (Only years later did it occur to me that even a lioness could have stood up and plucked him out of the fork. ((I had seen lion bait areas and was told that a male lion could stand on hind legs and reach up some 11-12 feet) No,please, guys, I don't need any reprimands about my foolish behaviour. I have always realized it in the years since. By the good Lord's mercy, not even hyenas showed up. (I chased vultures and felt very brave about it) (I do have to say that I had promised that I would not open fire on the first lion I saw -and that I would run for the tree if a group showed up. These many years later, I do wonder exactly how well I would have done -and, yes, to repeat, I was a fool. I gambled my life for a buff trophy -after the buff was dead. Most buff hunters do the gambling before the buff is dead.Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote