THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    If you think bolts and doubles have issues what about a bolt action double rifle?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you think bolts and doubles have issues what about a bolt action double rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Take a look at this http://www.rumormillnews.com/c...noframes;read=270380

This certainly complicates the debate! sofa

And if you fire ONE shot only?.... waste some time looking for the ejected live round in the long grass? Wink

I've seen that thing many times before, and it is far better made that any repeating double rifle I've ever seen.

I think this deserves a new thread to discuss the viability of the bolt. lever, and pump actioned double rifle designs!

........................................................................ popcorn Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most obvious immediate issue is the weight factor!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
First off the things that are issues with bolt rifle will be doubled with the bolt double in the link above, and that thing weighs a ton.

With just a little more designing the two action sides could have been made as CRF actions instead of push feed, that would help it some making it more reliable, with less chance of a jam when in a great hurry.

Even that rifle could have been faster if the shooter had not removed the rifle from his shoulder to re-load each time he worked the bolt.

IMO a pump action double rifle that carries two in the barrels, and two in a tube magazine with a CRF action like the model 62 Winchester .22 lr pump rifle. It is natural to keep the pump action to one’s shoulder while working the action.

Also with a tube magazine the empties can be made to eject out the bottom of the action like the little Browning semi-auto .22 lr. There is one thing, what happens and that rifle with the magazine both barrels have to be fired before the action can be worked or the unfired cartridge will be ejected as well as the empty.

Till these issues are solved I don't think these departings from the traditional double rifle's break top design these things are simply Very expensive novelties. The bolt guys will still buy traditional bolt rifles, and double guys will still buy traditional double rifles.

Things to mull over gentlemen! What think you folks?

………………………………………………………………………………….................................... bewildered

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made in Austria Big Grin

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than a few years ago I was wondering around Innsbruck and discovered Fuch's Gun Shop. He happened to be showing a highly engraved LaMat replica that I commented on as I was checking out his shop. When the customer left he introduced himself to me and the next thing I new I was in the "back room" looking at his Bolt Action Doubles. The action that I had in my hands was made from Titanium and I don't remember it being that heavy, he had a bunch of snap caps and had me cycle the action a half a dozen times. Pretty cool rig but also quite novel. I would tend to agree with MacD37 and his last two paragraphs.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
The action that I had in my hands was made from Titanium and I don't remember it being that heavy,

Zephyr, stop and think for a minute the action being made of titanium is a move in the right direction, however what is the weight of six Nitro Express loaded rounds, and the magazine they are housed in added to the weight of that action?

.................................................................... Confused

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
The action that I had in my hands was made from Titanium and I don't remember it being that heavy,

Zephyr, stop and think for a minute the action being made of titanium is a move in the right direction, however what is the weight of six Nitro Express loaded rounds, and the magazine they are housed in added to the weight of that action?
Your right never had a fully loaded gun in my hand.

.................................................................... Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your right never had a fully loaded gun in my hand

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your right never had a fully loaded gun in my hand

Not even a doublerifle Wink

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Talk about making things complicated beyond any reason!

I cannot imagine anyone wishing to hunt with one of these.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Not even Walter?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Nothing more then a big club. But a nice looking club.

Mike Eeker

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:

Not even Walter?

Walter is in love with his Blaser.

He keeps asking me to let him take it to Tanzania, and I keep vetoing that silly idea.

He has one chambered for the 7x64 and I don't want to take any rifle that cannot be used for buffalo.

He kept pestering me to chamber a barrel for him for the 374/404. Trouble is his rifle has one of those utterly stupid German stocks, which kick like mad.

Anyway, I wanted to dissuade him of this idea, so lent him a 375H&H barrel to practice with.

Of course, Walter being Walter, he had his own ideas.

He said "I want to practice with VERY LOW kicking loads, and work up slowly."

"OK, I will load you some ammo to practice with"

"No no no! I don't trust you. I will come over in the afternoon and load my own ammo"

"Alright, I will prime some cases and some Sierra 300 grain bullets for you to use. This should be fun! That silly stock will kick the daylight out of you"

I loaded 3 rounds to maximum, and hid them.

Walter turned up in the afternoon.

"Where should I start?"
"Here, look in the book, pick the slowest starting load, and start 10% below that. Hopefully the bullet will make it out of the barrel with a load like that. But it should not kick too much"

"Will this load kick much more than my 7x64?"

"Of course it will you nitwit! I wish Roy was here, he will be laughing his head off at this"

Walter loaded himself 3 rounds with very slow starting load. He then went to move the shooting rest to the right side of the shooting bench as he is left handed.

In the meantime, I swapped his ammo with the ones I loaded using the same bullet and brass.

He sat down and fired one shot.

"AOUCH! Bloody hell, that hurts!"
"You bloody sissy! That was not even close to hunting load. Hold the rifle tight to your shoulder and try again!"

He fired another shot.

"AOUCH AOUCH AOUCH, this really hurts. It hurts in my cheek. I think I am getting a headache!"

"I know, thanks to that atrocious German stock!"

"I think I will keep hunting with your rifle. It does not kick as bad as this"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Blaser makes a similar bolt-action double rifle. Apparently it was at the insistence of some of the Arabian royalty who are Blaser fanatics, and Blaser didn't want to lose their loyalty. So Walter can hunt with a bolt-action double rifle made by Blaser. I think you may have to but it for him, though...I believe the plain-Jane version is about $85,000 USD. Plus, the elaborate engraving of some of the demons that must be racing around that brain of his would add significantly to that cost :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Something that has never been mentioned here or in any of the discussions on any of the two or three bolt action double rifles, and that is how well these things are regulated. I’ve never seen a target shot by one of these things in any demonstration with people shooting them.

I must admit it is an intriguing idea, and the people who ventured into building these oddities seem to be excellent machinists, and design mentalists. IMO, the problem is one that is germane to all engineers is they build it, and the user improves it to make it work right. Sort of RE-DESIGN IT so to speak!.

My take on these things is, they need to be chambered for small chamberings for things like driven boar, or deer hunting, and never chambered for or used for hunting dangerous game. In that vane they would be better as a pump actioned design, than a bolt action, regulated properly, and have facility for quick detach scope mounts.

The only example I’ve seen that worked well was a space age looking over/under the was a semi-auto double that had a single trigger the fed each barrel from a tube magazine in the but stock, kicking the empties out the side. With two triggers that thing would be a workable repeating double rifle!

I would still prefer the traditional S/S big bore double rifle personally, there is no accounting for taste!

...................................................................... coffee popcorn

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the meantime, I swapped his ammo with the ones I loaded using the same bullet and brass.

Saeed,

Do you ever tell Walter half the tricks you pull on him, or does he just read about them here? Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
How boring does this shit get?

Bolt or double? 375 or 500?

On what? A toothless female elephant? Maybe pregnant maybe not?

Fuck that and get your gun and go hunting.

................................................................ jumping

I think Andrew is tired of sitting on his butt waiting for the hunting to start!

................... nilly Stir crazy, Andrew?

If I could afford it I'd come over there and put your butt to work finding me a couple of nice buffalo! Hang in there the hunting will get rolling soon! You just dying to burn some powder in that new double rifle, HUH? Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
{quote}
First off the things that are issues with bolt rifle will be doubled with the bolt double in the link above,and that thing weighs a ton .{endquote}

that is pure supposition on your part.
You personally dont like the design,fine,..but best not make up stories on other aspects of the firearm,
that you have no real knowledge of.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Your right never had a fully loaded gun in my hand.

I have personally met and spoken to the maker.
I have handled his complete BAD rifles.....

- the Titanium construction BAD, can be had at 5.0kg
- its bulk/mass may take a bit of getting used to.
- it is regulated to shoot a garanteed 2"

Loading six rounds into the BAD is optional,[one can opt for 4 rounds]
..keeping in mind its not unusual for the PH to take over when clients snuFF the first couple shots on DG.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
TRAX Confused Anyone know who that is? Who ever he is it seems he's confused about the meaning of the words "I'm through with you!" If that wasn't plain enough let me say it again I'm through with him on any subject!

.................................................................Here! Let me wave goodbye! shame

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[B]TRAX]/B] Confused Anyone know who that is? Who ever he is it seems he's confused about the meaning of the words "I'm through with you!" If that wasn't plain enough let me say it again I'm through with him on any subject!

.................................................................Here! Let me wave goodbye! shame

then why in hell have you responded? bewildered... rotflmo

You want to share your criticism/dislike of someones rifle design,go ahead.
Be mature enough to do it with credible facts, rather than convenient misinformation to suite your argument.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me ask again - I might just get lucky third time round: If the shooter were to fire ONE shot only would the UNSPENT round be ejected as well?

TRAX: Seeing the maker appears to be an acquaintance of yours he might be able to provide the answer (even though I may know it already but want it from the horse's mouth).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I handled the rifle and cycled the action, - but never worked any dumby rounds through it.

IIRC, it has M16 type extractors & spring loaded plunger ejectors, which most likely means it will eject unspent rounds the same as it does spent brass.
That may prove an advantage or disadvantage,.... depending on the circumstance.

I am aware some double rifles have "smart ejectors."...when the hunter fires only one barrel and opens the breech,
the fired case will eject, but the unspent round will not be ejected,just partly extracted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

IIRC, it has M16 type extractors & spring loaded plunger ejectors, which most likely means it will eject unspent rounds the same as it does spent brass.
That may prove an advantage or disadvantage,.... depending on the circumstance.

Guessed as much and confirms my earlier thoughts - by ejecting both rounds, fired singly or not as per my initial question, is IMO a disadvantage from all points of view:

If the rounds have not been fired, upon ejecting will be flung left and right; if only one has been fired both the empty case and remaining live round will still be flung left and right and is an inconvenience as the shooter will have to search for the live round and depending on the conditions may even lose it.

The empty shell, being lighter, will most likely fly further and even more difficult to find, both from a re-loader's and ecologist's point of view.

As long as one (the owner) is happy to live with this situation then he/she has found the fast shooting double rifle of their choice! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A person paying many thousands of dollars to hunt DG, should not burden themselves with the trivial concern for the welfare of a [possibly] lost fired case or loaded round.

IF its deemed important to quickly get some solids in the chambers- against wounded/charging DG,
...then to hell with where the fired brass or unfired round lands-
...and to hell with the trivial concern of whether one ends up finding it later or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRAX:

Spent brass from a double is almost always collected, whether it was fired from a Holland Royal or a Merkel and really has bugger all to do with affordability of the hunt or the rifle.

Most (I say most) shooters will reload their ammo so the salvage of brass is not related to cost but other factors as well, e.g. how the brass performed, if the primer remained seated, etc.

The debate was related to its practicality, "advantages or disadvantages" (as you put it) though in the end it is obviously not practical but if you can afford it who gives a shit where and what happens to the rounds!

P.S. Any idea how many have been sold?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spent brass from a double is almost always collected, whether it was fired from a Holland Royal or a Merkel and really has bugger all to do with affordability of the hunt or the rifle.

Most (I say most) shooters will reload their ammo so the salvage of brass is not related to cost but other factors as well, e.g. how the brass performed, if the primer remained seated, etc.

The debate was related to its practicality, "advantages or disadvantages" (as you put it) though in the end it is obviously not practical but if you can afford it who gives a shit where and what happens to the rounds!

P.S. Any idea how many have been sold?

Right on Fugo! The bad thing about the unfired round being ejected is that it is lost to the fight not it's monetary value! What the hell is $18 tossed on the ground with a cape buffalo closing on you fast? I have to agree that picking up brass in the middle of a fight is insane no matter what type of rifle you are using! Eeker

However, the fix for this is to simply pull the trigger again, then only empties will be ejected. The fix can be the way you load the rifle. by loading a soft in the right side and a solid in the left side and solids in the magazine as well. that way the soft first followed by all solids.

As I said earlier the thing is an intriguing idea, but IMO in it's current configuration not viable from a use stance, or cost of building adversely effecting the retail cost. There are three or four makers who have made bolt actioned double rifles, and to my knowledge not one has made it to the double rifle retail market. I doubt there will be many ever made, simply because it is such a break from traditional double rifle design, and a real departure from bolt rifles as well.

I'd say anyone with even a little knowledge of the mechanics of both bolt rifles and double rifles will readily see the potential for problems with this crossbreed system.

Regardless of some opinions there are several things with this particular system that are potential problem areas. One doesn't have to hold and work the bolt understand the system's drawbacks.

....................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I'm missing something in this argument.

Using a double-barrel bolt rifle, or slide-action (SA) as Mac noted or lever-action (LA) as I would prefer, necessitates the user to retrain their brain. The DR guy is used to only being able to deliver two shots before a full reload is required so if time permits between the 1st and 2nd shot they'll reload the fired barrel. The BA guy is used to cycling the bolt after each fired shot otherwise there is no additional shot. The DR guy must remember there are two additional cartridges a single bolt cycle away and the BA guy must remember there is a second shot available before a bolt cycle is required for additional shooting...

I also believe locating the fired brass after the DG is down and dead should be a non-issue unless the final shot(s) was(were) delivered some distance from the initial shot. If you've been practicing with your rifle in simulated DG firing sequences you should have determined just how far your extractor(s) shuck the empty brass from your firing position. Additionally you'll always have the brass from the 'final up close just in case shot' in the barrel for post action inspection of primer condition and case expansion.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Capoward You are correct no matter what system you are using that is new to you, there is a steep learning curve before you will become proficient with it. Your description of both the traditional double rifle guy, and the bolt rifle guy the learning will be intense, and can only be perfected with long use of the new system.

Any new system is not something a person wants to take into the weeds with something that wants to gore, stomp, or bite you!

A bolt rifle man is likely to have years more experience with his bolt rifle than he does with a double rifle he’s had for only a short time. In that case he may simply be better off with his bolt rifle than a double he only thinks he knows well. Nothing is as dangerous as a man who thinks he has the new system down pat too soon with any system he has only used a short time especially if he has long experience with a totally different system like the bolt.

Then you have a system that incorporates many features of both systems, the learning curve will be very steep for either guy. Then what ever issues either has will be compounded when used by either person from either side of the two systems joined together. This is the system with the bolt action double rifle that started this discussion.
........................................................................................................ coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The empty shell, being lighter, will most likely fly further and even more difficult to find,

View the BAD video, and you will clearly see that the empty cases are not flung far from the rifle.
...Unfired rounds would land even closer.

View Todd Williams video of him firing his SxS with auto ejectors,..those empty cases dont travel any less distance from the rifle.

Considering no one knows how far they may have to move from the position of their intial shot[s]..{either in persuite or retreat from wounded DG}

THe distance of how far brass is flung from any DG rifle, then seems so trivial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not a morality issue. Whilst I prefer my Merky double, and my standard bolt-actions, if somebody thrust one of these into my hands, I would go and kill buffalo with it. No problem. Whatever spins your wheels, as long as it isn't against the law. tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRAX:

quote:
View Todd Williams video of him firing his SxS with auto ejectors,..those empty cases dont travel any less distance from the rifle.

I don't need to view Todd's video seeing I have a reasonable amount of experience in the use of double rifles of varying calibers.

What I do know for a fact is that in a conventional, functional and practical ejecting double rifle I will remember what I will have loaded left and right, know which barrel I will have discharged and when ejecting the live one stays put.

In my book it is not a question of $18/Round or whether I can or cannot afford either the rifle or the hunt - it is the principle of looking after your live ammo as you would at home being no different in the field.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Mac you're correct - marrying the double rifle with any magazine based rifle, whether bolt action, slide action, or lever action will entail a very steep learning curve to become DG proficient with the new firearm. It is an interesting solution for those in countries that prohibit the use of semi-auto rifles in hunting or perhaps even the non-government possession of a semi-auto rifle.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fujotupu:

I don't need to view Todd's video seeing I have a reasonable amount of experience in the use of double rifles of varying calibers.

Well then you already knew that an auto ejecting SxS flings brass no less distance than the BAD you criticise,
so why criticise the BAD for the distance it flings brass??

What I do know for a fact is that in a conventional, functional and practical ejecting double rifle I will remember what I will have loaded left and right, know which barrel I will have discharged and when ejecting the live one stays put.

If you want that unfired round to remain, then that function is a good thing,
However if a person suddenly finds they are better off to have two solids in the breech ASAP,
then with one cycle of the BAD bolt,one empty & one soft can be quickly ejected - and two solids quickly cycled in.
...Thats also a Good thing.

In my book it is not a question of $18/Round or whether I can or cannot afford either the rifle or the hunt - it is the principle of looking after your live ammo as you would at home being no different in the field.

Each to his own.
Personally, If circumstances suddenly dictated it better to have two solids in the breech ASAP ,to deal with the unfolding DG situation at hand,
then my concern for the welfare of a suddenly orphaned softpoint round, now laying on the ground, - would be near zilch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRAX:

quote:
Personally, If circumstances suddenly dictated it better to have two solids in the breech ASAP ,to deal with the unfolding DG situation at hand,
then my concern for the welfare of a suddenly orphaned softpoint round, now laying on the ground, - would be near zilch.

My only criticism of this rifle is the ejecting mechanism as not being selective and dumping the shells left and right which cannot compare to the way a double rifle ejects.

I had already made it obviously clear that I would know what choice of rounds I had fed into the chambers and as they are just 2, would not be difficult in memorizing what is what and where and besides, you would be surprised what effect a large bore soft point has on DG (as in Buffalo or Lion) - should you be loaded with a soft on Elephant then it would serve you right if you got flattened in the process of putting down a charge.

I'm still curious to know how many have been sold to hunters (not collectors).

One of Us
posted Hide Post

My only criticism of this rifle is the ejecting mechanism as not being selective and dumping the shells left and right which cannot compare to the way a double rifle ejects.

IF you plan to stay in the same spot after you fire your initial shot[s] at DG, then I guess it may matter to you.
But seriously, how many people do that??
the BAD dumps [empty brass] maybe a YD either side of the shooter, the traditional SxS ejects it rearward,the difference
[during the course of actual hunting] is trivial.
Once one moves a few yds or few hundred yds, in some direct from where one ejects the brass[pending what movements the DG makes],
.Then,how far or what direction, the brass is flung on ejection, becomes IMO, rather inconsequential.
However, you are entirely free to believe otherwise.

I had already made it obviously clear that I would know what choice of rounds I had fed into the chambers and as they are just 2, would not be difficult in memorizing what is what and where and besides, you would be surprised what effect a large bore soft point has on DG (as in Buffalo or Lion) - should you be loaded with a soft on Elephant then it would serve you right if you got flattened in the process of putting down a charge.

You are free to selectively load,fire & eject your SxS the way you see fit.
IF you prefer to use a soft to drill a charging BUff or drill the rear of fleeing Buff, so be it.
Others remain free to exercise their own judgement & options in such situations.
Some people may prefer to have solids chambered if the Soft[s] have not done the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax:

If this rifle is as good as you have convinced yourself in believing it to be, then bully for you.

My repeated question as to how many have been sold remains unanswered and will probably remain unanswered. Wink

Keep Well.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trax:

If this rifle is as good as you have convinced yourself in believing it to be, then bully for you.

My repeated question as to how many have been sold remains unanswered and will probably remain unanswered. Wink

Keep Well.

Give it up Fujo, you will never get a straight answer from him. He damands answers from everyone else but will never answer a question from anyone else!

Something I simply do not find to be an issue with any type of firearm. What is this crap about how far the ejectors throw the brass? Who the hell cares when a Buffalo or lion is closing on you?

My only objection to the ejection on the bolt double is that the rifle can’t be opened to re-load one chamber after only one shot, without dumping a loaded round on the ground. The dumped round certainly may be needed especially if dealing with a buffalo. The need is compounded with the bolt double because if that round is needed when you run dry with that buffalo still on his feet, a bolt rifle it takes a while to re-load it.

The excuse that it is OK to dump that round on the ground so you can load a pair of solids in the middle of a fight is bogus, and a statement only an armchair expert that has never even hunted buffalo would make! Sometimes you may use every round you have a still not put him down. Then the arm-chair expert brings up the old saw that you always have the PH to back you up. My question with that statement is, what happens if the PH is the first one hit, leaving the client to pull his nuts out of the fire?

All that is simply negated by the way you load the rifle to begin with. Any one who really knows the use of a double rifle knows that you load the double according the animal you are hunting.

If you are hunting lion you load all softs, if you are hunting elephant you load all solids, but if hunting buffalo you load the first barrel to be shot with a soft, and all the rest solids. In a traditional double you load the right barrel with a soft, and left barrel with a solid, then all re-loads there after are solids if dealing with buffalo.

No matter what you are hunting with a double rifle it is not OK to dump a loaded round on the ground, and have to take time to replace it with another round unless that loaded round is a dud! If loaded properly in the first place all one has to do is simply pull the other trigger. In the bolt double if your target is buffalo, you would do the same, load a soft in the right barrel and a solid in the left, and all solids in the magazine.

In my opinion the final analysis is, the bolt action double rifle is a very expensive novelty, that will never be a factor in any real way any place other than a firing range to impress others with something that is unusual, with no real practical purpose.

That is my opinion! Of course you know what they say about OPINIONS, and A-HOLES! Everybody has one! Mine is no better or worse than anyone else's, but one thing it didn't cost you anything.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post

the BAD is what it is, it may suite some, but not others,..simple as that.
No one if forcing you or anyone else to buy it,or even use one.

You have tried to discredit the BAD by criticising how far it flings it cases,

You have tried to discredit the BAD by what direction it flings it cases,

which in in real DG hunting scenarios, are rather trivial & inconsequential points.

You try to discredit the BAD by saying you cannot operate it like your traditional SxS,
Well its not designed to operate like your prefered SxS design!
but the BAD still offers certain advantages in some DG hunting scenarios.
IF you think your method of loading your SxS is better for you, then good luck to you.
that does not mean the BAD does not offer its own advantages, that you simply would not utilise.
Thats fine also as its just personal choice,..it does not automatically make the BAD wrong or inferior for everyone.

Trying to argue use of SOFT over SOLID against DG, is just another avenue chosen by you in another pathetic attempt to discredit BAD.

My repeated question as to how many have been sold remains unanswered and will probably remain unanswered.

if you really want to know,contact the maker, because I dont sell them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacD37:
He damands answers from everyone else but will never answer a question from anyone else!

MACS vivid imagination is wild at work again... cuckoo
I have not demanded anyone answer questions, anyone is free to answer,or not to answer,- as they so please.
you making such a dumb unfounded claim however,does not surprise me at all.
as it was you in your attempt to discredit the BAD,who created a convenient ficticious report that the BAD weighs a ton,
Proving without doubt that you are an impetuous dill.
remember that MAC is same guy who said that MOST BoltRifle users will stuff[jam]things while under the pressure of facing DG.
The guy just cannot resist regularly making things up just to suite his argument.

What is this crap about how far the ejectors throw the brass? Who the hell cares when a Buffalo or lion is closing on you?

Finally some sense from you.
I also dont have an issue with how far the brass is flung from any Double,
but Fujo seems to think the distance & direction the brass travels,is somehow a major issue in the BAD.

The excuse that it is OK to dump that round on the ground so you can load a pair of solids in the middle of a fight is bogus,

Thats debatable and all depends how the fight is unfolding.
If I had the BAD and found the wounded Buff suddenly turning & fleeing in direction away from me,
I would most likely eject the spent case & soft, in preference for two solids.
I will opt for as much penetration as I can get when attempting to shoot/anchor a Buff from the rear.

...what happens if the PH is the first one hit, leaving the client to pull his nuts out of the fire?

I gather a number of clients would fail to save the PH or themselves,
Mark Sullivan said clients are lousy poor shots.
Todd Williams admittedly said he is not sure he could handle the pressure of a DG charge after
discharging his first two rounds from his SxS.
that means having an extra 10-20rounds on your belt wont save you,
so why worry about the Soft being ejected by the BAD in preference for two better penetrating solids?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Keep Well.

Fugo, did you get an answer to that question yet? Big Grin

Fugo these things have been around in one form or another for years, and I doubt more than three or four have been sold and re-sold over the years, and I’ve never heard of one being actually used for hunting. That fact however doesn’t mean one or more may have hunted. The cost of machining makes these things need to command such a price, that anyone wanting a double rifle, and has that type of money to spend can simply buy a fine H&H, or WR double for less, and have something to be proud of.

The various gun annuals and periodicals like Double Gun Journal had articles about some of these over the years, and I can’t remember any of them that didn’t still belong to the maker. They are oddities and are intriguing , but as I’ve said before here IMO they will never be available as production items, and a few one-offs will be all you will see.

There was one made in Canada, one I think in Austria, and believe it or not one built in the south USA. But it was a lever action double based on a doubled Marlin 336 with the ejection out both sides like the BA double shown at the beginning of this thread. The lever action made more sense to me but like all the rest didn’t get much interest from shooters who own, and hunt with traditional double rifles.

The best I can remember the Lever action one was chambered for 30-30 Win, and the action worked fairly well for it’s maker who was a gun smith. Again if memory serves, the lever double had two short two round tube magazines and fed exactly like the Marlin 336. that kept the magazine within the fore-end wood, and allowed two in the chambers, and two in each tube magazine. The rifle had two triggers and a common lever that operated both sides of the action. As far as I know only that one was ever made, and the maker my still own it. That was as most of these things were made 20 0r 30 years ago, and received a little interest, but not enough to find one of them in production!
..................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith